2013 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

do you think Freo would be reaching for him if they were to take him with their first round then?? Would you disagree with the decision? Many of the Freo Fans are praying for him to be the player selected with his x-factor but also the fact that if he doesn't make it as a forward he could become an outstanding midfielder.

I have a key forward from WA with lots of potential at Freo's pick :)

Interested to see where you rate a young kid from North Adelaide by the name of Alex Spina. Surely would have to be somewhere in the 3rd round?

Like Battersby, I strongly considered him for my second round but I just couldn't fit him in. He's in the first half of my 3rd round for sure as I think he's easily one of the Top 50 in the draft.

Bontempelli to dogs?

Don't think the Dogs should do that, if you want outside runners Kelly and even Billings would be better. Bontempelli will probably go at 10 in my next update (probably Tuesday next week) but his defensive weakness should see him slide past what his attacking abilities deserve. Top 10 is a possibility for Bontempelli, but I think the top 5 are a level above.

Don't think the Dogs should do that, if you want outside runners Kelly and even Billings would be better. Bontempelli will probably go at 10 in my next update (probably Tuesday next week) but his defensive weakness should see him slide past what his attacking abilities deserve. Top 10 is a possibility for Bontempelli, but I think the top 5 are a level above.
I was just wondering because I think he has the highest ceiling in the draft

I was just wondering because I think he has the highest ceiling in the draft

I would rate Billings' and Aish's ceilings higher than his, but he's right up there with the best. I think the chance of him not getting close to that ceiling is too high for him to crack the top 5, but if the Bulldogs can move a couple of spots up the ladder he comes into consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the new interchange cap rule, i was just wondering what mids/flankers/rucks and KPP really stand out with their endurance.

With the new interchange cap rule, i was just wondering what mids/flankers/rucks and KPP really stand out with their endurance.

What T2M said, Templeton is the first that will shoot up the order. Hartung from the Stingrays is another who will be picked higher with his endurance. On the other hand, Kennedy-Harris, one of my favorite prospects, will now slide slightly due to the hole where his endurance should be. The same can be said for Jack Billings, whose endurance needs major improvement if he is to become the Steve Johnson type he can be.

Billy Hartung, Dandenong Stingrays
177cm, 72kg
Player Comparison: Steele Sidebottom/Clinton Jones (much better kick)
Dandenong Stingray Billy Hartung represented Vic Country at the U18 Championship and earned All-Australian honours. He averaged 16 disposals and 3 tackles at the carnival. At TAC Cup level, Hartung has been the standout for the Stingrays, averaging 27 disposals, 5 marks and 6 Inside 50s so far in the 2013 season. The biggest asset to Hartung's game is his elite endurance. As a 17 year old, Hartung ran a 16 in the beep test, a score that would have put him in the top echelon for players a year older. This allows him to run games out and finish off strongly, without dropping off his intensity. Unlike some other prospects, Hartung runs both ways and isn't afraid of being given a tagging job. Hartung also uses this endurance to run and carry and spread. To go along with his superb running ability, Hartung has a penetrating kick and he often uses this to his team's advantage. Hartung is also an outstanding decision maker with both his handpasses and his kicks. Like Lewis Taylor, his size will turn teams off him as it is likely that he will be exposed at AFL level[reply] I have word from there could be some real attitude problems, hope the saints look elsewhere

Billy Hartung, Dandenong Stingrays
177cm, 72kg
Player Comparison: Steele Sidebottom/Clinton Jones (much better kick)
Dandenong Stingray Billy Hartung represented Vic Country at the U18 Championship and earned All-Australian honours. He averaged 16 disposals and 3 tackles at the carnival. At TAC Cup level, Hartung has been the standout for the Stingrays, averaging 27 disposals, 5 marks and 6 Inside 50s so far in the 2013 season. The biggest asset to Hartung's game is his elite endurance. As a 17 year old, Hartung ran a 16 in the beep test, a score that would have put him in the top echelon for players a year older. This allows him to run games out and finish off strongly, without dropping off his intensity. Unlike some other prospects, Hartung runs both ways and isn't afraid of being given a tagging job. Hartung also uses this endurance to run and carry and spread. To go along with his superb running ability, Hartung has a penetrating kick and he often uses this to his team's advantage. Hartung is also an outstanding decision maker with both his handpasses and his kicks. Like Lewis Taylor, his size will turn teams off him as it is likely that he will be exposed at AFL level[reply] I have word from there could be some real attitude problems, hope the saints look elsewhere
As in FIGJAM problems? I thought Hartung's attitude was OK and he certainly has great football attributes.

Hartung trained with us for 2 weeks over summer (AIS program) so you'd think if there are any major attitude issues that we'd have picked up on them during that time, just like how I'm told we were put off by Jack Riewoldt's attitude and personality when he spent time with us, prior to his draft.

We knew about Jack's attitude issues? I still like Armo. In any case, those weeks would have helped the club decide whether they wanted to draft him or not. I hope the Saints liked what they saw, his run could really help out at St Kilda.

We knew about Jack's attitude issues?
I was told he trained for a week or two with us (possibly the same AIS program that is in place now) and that all the stuff that he's been bagged for in his time at Richmond (the selfishness, me, me, me, me, me and so on) was very evident back then as well. We were apparently very put off by it. Could have done with him in 2009 and 2010 though I reckon, in spite of all that stuff!

I was told he trained for a week or two with us (possibly the same AIS program that is in place now) and that all the stuff that he's been bagged for in his time at Richmond (the selfishness, me, me, me, me, me and so on) was very evident back then as well. We were apparently very put off by it. Could have done with him in 2009 and 2010 though I reckon, in spite of all that stuff!

Yeah I would have loved a second Riewoldt in those finals. I hope Hartung's issues are easily solved, a year in the AFL system should fix any attitude issue, especially if handed well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back