Discussion Random Chat MegaThread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would consider score reviews being a tech advancement for a more accurate game, not something "American".

I guess if American officials wear headgear with cams we blame that on Aus? :p
Yes I know, but those sort of things were bought into sports by Americans, starting with the NFL. Anyway, I do think it's good that the game is spreading to other countries

Yes I know, but those sort of things were bought into sports by Americans, starting with the NFL.
I like the idea of technology in sports. Except cricket, when the captains get to use the DRS. Leave it for the umpires.

I like the idea of technology in sports. Except cricket, when the captains get to use the DRS. Leave it for the umpires.
Actually, I don't care for it much in any sport. There are "classic" games here (gridiron, baseball, basketball) from years gone by that would not have been so classic if not for a blown call that left the game wide open. (Here's a good example that USA ended up on the short end of.) People err playing and I'd rather let the officials err as humans, also.

Eventually though, since the trend is now the other way, I wonder if the day is coming when all umpires, referees, etc., in all sports will be replaced by cameras and sensors. :eek:

Yes I know, but those sort of things were bought into sports by Americans, starting with the NFL. Anyway, I do think it's good that the game is spreading to other countries
It was bound to happen anyway. NFL just marketed itself better and much sooner than other pro leagues (except possibly NBA) and as the maker of the big bucks, they set the trends in many things, beginning with and including worldwide marketing of itself.

As AFL and footy grows, AFL will set trends also, which, even though I was jokingly saying it, Australian football is already setting the standard when it comes to some tech also, not only goal cams on umpires, but also the footy with GPS tracking inside (which also could lessen the need for umpires in some situations).

Aussie rules is a great sport, and is very deserving of worldwide audience. Much more exciting than our sports, IMHO. I've watched our sports for years and years and years, and I'm kind of tired of the changes and the spectacle they have turned into (Super Bowl being a good example), as they become less for sport and more for entertainment. I also find footy more exciting than other sports played mainly outside our nation such as cricket, rugby and soccer (also, just my opinion).

Actually, I don't care for it much in any sport. There are "classic" games here (gridiron, baseball, basketball) from years gone by that would not have been so classic if not for a blown call that left the game wide open. (Here's a good example that USA ended up on the short end of.) People err playing and I'd rather let the officials err as humans, also.

Eventually though, since the trend is now the other way, I wonder if the day is coming when all umpires, referees, etc., in all sports will be replaced by cameras and sensors. :eek:
That's not going to happen. I think it's a good thing to have technology assessing decisions. No one can begrudge the rules, and the rules that they affect (for Aussie Rules, it's basically goals and points) aren't the rules people hate. All good.

Actually they were brought into sport from America because the technologies were developed in America. No one claims RaceCam and that sort of thing to have Australianised anything, it's just a technology that was developed and then spread. Instant replay was developed by American broadcasters because they wanted to develop a way of analysing play on the fly. The use of instant replay in American sports as a refereeing tool was quite a natural thing, just like the development of video referee technology down here. Not every innovation has to be considered "Americanisation" just because the worlds biggest sports leagues (or some of them anyway) have pioneered those innovations.

Actually they were brought into sport from America because the technologies were developed in America. No one claims RaceCam and that sort of thing to have Australianised anything, it's just a technology that was developed and then spread. Instant replay was developed by American broadcasters because they wanted to develop a way of analysing play on the fly. The use of instant replay in American sports as a refereeing tool was quite a natural thing, just like the development of video referee technology down here. Not every innovation has to be considered "Americanisation" just because the worlds biggest sports leagues (or some of them anyway) have pioneered those innovations.
That is true. You summed up what I really meant very well there.

Keep talking about Crows chants, after answer me what is the best place to sponsor logos. Chest or Back?
DiQyFL1.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If any of you are following IC14 you already know this; USA lost to NZ, but we scored the only points on the Hawks in the first three games. Kiwis 10.11.71, Americans 2.1.13. :(

Our squad played split game (with players from Cleveland who are just getting a club going and don't have numbers for a full side yet), and I scored twice for the victors! Averaging 1 goal/game in two games now; only played 20 minutes first time. (Been out with injuries most of the year.)

Our side (officially, the Columbus side) won 15.9.99 to 5.6.36. I felt honored in the final term because the other squad's captain put their biggest player on defense against me at the end of the match! (I also set up 3 goals with kicks into the middle in front of goal prior to the 4th quarter.)

My lovely videographer didn't catch the actual goal (2nd of my two goals), but you get the idea! Watching Alan Didak taught me how to play! (And Neon Leon, too!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back