Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm hearing you loud an clear an watto will open after Rogers

I hope so. I want to be yelling "Review it!" at the TV for many years to come. I really enjoy it.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Buck Rogers just gone off sick / dizzy or something after 5 minutes. Odd.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was wondering why he isn't out there. Must be crook given that there are free runs out there.

And some. England waiting for the declaration. Pitch is a touch slow but otherwise looks like perfect batting conditions.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can we * the commentary team off doing their Beatles routine? * me drunk, no one cares.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Guess I won't be watching any cricket tonight.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Chris Rogers my favourite player at the moment (seeing as Jimmy Pat is perpetually injured). Doesn't nearly get the plaudits he deserves. Had he not had his trip out dizzy spell he'd have almost certainly had his 9th score over 50 in 10 innings. That's phenomonal. Can you imagine the hysteria if that was Warner?

I like Mitch Marsh. He's raw but there's a bit about him. I'm not a fan of developing talent in the Australian team (that's what Shield cricket should be for) but we're so thin for batsmen and all-rounders that I think we persevere with him and let him learn on the job. Unless James Faulkner learns not to be a dick head. And Watson can find another job. Shaun Marsh too. She's just Watson with the ability to occassionally make a big score but a worse fielder and can't bowl. Would prefer Nic Maddinson. And Voges deserves his gig, leave him in for the rest of the series.

I've liked Haddin for a long time but really don't want him back. His batting has declined badly - only averaged 15 since the last Ashes - and Neville is more than ready to take the job permanently.

The next test at Edgebaston certainly has plenty of intrigue. How will the poms bounce back? I don't think there's a great deal of difference between the two sides. Outside of Rogers and Smith, our batting is pretty flaky and they're enormously reliant on Root and Cook. We probably shade them with both bat and ball but it's not a big difference unless the Lords test has mentally wrecked them. Wonder if there's a depth they can sink to before Pietersen gets a call-up?

Mick Fanning/Shark Attack in SA…

Holy s**t, very lucky boy, amazing vision

I can imagine the global panic from people watching that live. You'd swear you just witnessed his death. Unbelieveable.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
There really isn't much to England's bowling on these decks outside of Broad.

Yeah, Anderson is a good bowler but setting up lifeless pitches really nullifies the England bowlers strengths more than the Australians. Even Cook conceded that they'd rather play on traditional English pitches and the Lords pitch really wasn't one of them.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah, Anderson is a good bowler but setting up lifeless pitches really nullifies the England bowlers strengths more than the Australians. Even Cook conceded that they'd rather play on traditional English pitches and the Lords pitch really wasn't one of them.

Starc johnson and hazlewood all have X factor ability to get wickets whereas Anderson can't even bowl in Australia
There best bowlers broad but they need sideways movement which johnson doesn't utilize
However hazlewood could have a field day on a traditional English wicket and I reckon marsh will enjoy It aswell

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I still rate Anderson as the pom's best bowler. Runs hot and cold but has good control, moves it both ways and is good at working batsmen out.

The pitches don't help either side, but we bowled tosh in the first Test. Way too many loose deliveries from our quicks as they haven't played in England much or used a Duke regularly. Poms didn't do anything particularly special except pitch it up and bowl a reasonably consistent line without giving away many runs.

Should still be a close enough series due to the inconsistency and frail batting lineups of both sides. A bowler having a good day could go right through either side - only blokes who have looked good with the stick have been Rogers, Smith and Root, and Cook has grafted away for a few runs as well. If they serve up a more lively pitch next Test, either side could get rolled for 150. Despite runs in the last Test, Warner is still a flat track bully, Clarke is struggling, Voges and Marsh still have to prove themselves, likewise Nevill if Haddin doesn't play (and Haddin has been useless with the stick as well). Less said about the Poms batting, the better, but Gary Ballance has to be one of the worst #3's I've seen. That half plod forward is all that separates him from being an actual professional French Cricketer.

Last edited:

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Starc johnson and hazlewood all have X factor ability to get wickets whereas Anderson can't even bowl in Australia
There best bowlers broad but they need sideways movement which johnson doesn't utilize
However hazlewood could have a field day on a traditional English wicket and I reckon marsh will enjoy It aswell

This is what I am saying. On a lifeless pitch the Australian bowlers have extra height and pace to extract whatever there might be in the pitch. Flat pitches hurt England more than Australia.
Anderson is a good bowler - the all time leading English wicket taker. His weapon is swing bowling. Without that he's a 6'2" sharp medium-fast bowler who doesn't have the height to get any difficult bounce out of the pitch or pace to hurry batsmen. A return to a proper English pitch where he can play to his strengths and the Australian batsmen will certainly have their work cut out for them.

It's that plonking foot he throws out like he's Matty Hayden that gets me. Totally right about the bowlers having better techniques. Even Dizzy had a better defense than pretty much every top order bat we've had of late.
Dizzy's double ton certainly proves that point (sure it was against Bangladesh, but hey, most of our top order can't manage that)

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was Gillespie's the last Australian double ton before Smith's at Lords?

Would think Clarke and Ponting at least would have chalked up big scores since Gillespie. Didn't Hodge noodle a double ton as well?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Was Gillespie's the last Australian double ton before Smith's at Lords?

Gillespies was the last overseas
Ponting an Clarke both smashed the Indians for double tonnes as well as hodge against south Africa before being dropped next test

Clarke hit 2-3 in a year I think when he was at his best

Can't remember it but I'm sure the Huss must have hit one

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gillespies was the last overseas
Ponting an Clarke both smashed the Indians for double tonnes as well as hodge against south Africa before being dropped next test

Clarke hit 2-3 in a year I think when he was at his best

Can't remember it but I'm sure the Huss must have hit one
Still can't believe that Hodge got dropped with that form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back