Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Cool cool.

Here's a little side fact- partly due to cost, partly due to timing and partly due to curiosity's sake- I'm flying back from Adelaide to Melbourne, but I'm catching the Overland train over.

I've taken the Overland once from Melbourne to Adelaide. The parents of my girlfriend from uni days lived in Melbourne so I went over for a couple of days prior to holidays ending then we caught the overland back to Adelaide. Make sure you get a window seat so you have something to lean against, we were separated and I didn't have a window seat and had a most uncomfortable trip, she got a window seat so snuggled into the corner and had a comfortable trip by comparison.

I've taken the Overland once from Melbourne to Adelaide. The parents of my girlfriend from uni days lived in Melbourne so I went over for a couple of days prior to holidays ending then we caught the overland back to Adelaide. Make sure you get a window seat so you have something to lean against, we were separated and I didn't have a window seat and had a most uncomfortable trip, she got a window seat so snuggled into the corner and had a comfortable trip by comparison.
It's a day train only these days and I'm no good at sleeping on trains/planes/cars anyway, so I'll just take a good book or three.

Got some relatives at Murtoa so I'll get them to come and wave as the train flies through!

I do indeed have a window seat; made sure of that.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
It's a day train only these days and I'm no good at sleeping on trains/planes/cars anyway, so I'll just take a good book or three.

Got some relatives at Murtoa so I'll get them to come and wave as the train flies through!

I do indeed have a window seat; made sure of that.

A day train would probably make it pretty decent. Just make sure you save a book for the 90 mile desert, that's the colloquial name given to the stretch between Keith and Tailem Bend, it's boring as bat s**t.

A day train would probably make it pretty decent. Just make sure you save a book for the 90 mile desert, that's the colloquial name given to the stretch between Keith and Tailem Bend, it's boring as bat s**t.
Yes, I remember well; I've driven from Melbourne to Adelaide before and that stretch ain't great.

The stretch between Horsham and Bordertown is pretty terrible too, on the road anyway. And the rail is right next to the road in that stretch so I don't think the train will be any better.

Hard to believe how few places that train stops in South Oz- only Bordertown and Murray Bridge. You'd think Keith and Tailem Bend are big enough to warrant it.

Then again, wasn't that long ago, apparently, that it didn't stop at Stawell or Nhill on our side of the border either.

Ah the joys of apartment living. When I was first dating wifey she was living in an apartment underneath a family who did a lot of deep frying. The smell would somehow waft down into her apartment and there used to be a small cockroach infestation that went along with it. Place made my skin crawl and I was living in a s**t hole myself with two other bachelors so it's not like I was coming from swankville.

So wifey sees a friend's comment on this nude yoga class on FB. She has a look at their page and there's a few photos of people with towels on smiling for the camera with the instructor and one of them happens to be a bloke she works with. Then there's another photo from during a class done tastefully from behind. There's no hiding that hairy back and crack though. Awkward...

So wifey sees a friend's comment on this nude yoga class on FB. She has a look at their page and there's a few photos of people with towels on smiling for the camera with the instructor and one of them happens to be a bloke she works with. Then there's another photo from during a class done tastefully from behind. There's no hiding that hairy back and crack though. Awkward...
Ew

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't know where else to put this so here it is.

I was on google maps earlier doing some stuff and found myself over Tullamarine, so like all good Bombers I zoomed down for a street view cruise past the TVSC.

I was surprised you could actually take street view up the driveway and into the car park, even more surprised when you could go up the stairs, into the foyer, and navigate around inside to basically wherever you want. Inside the building.

WTF? Is this a common thing now and I'm just a Luddite?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 6, 2012
Earth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central District

I was on google maps earlier doing some stuff and found myself over Tullamarine, so like all good Bombers I zoomed down for a street view cruise past the TVSC.

I was surprised you could actually take street view up the driveway and into the car park, even more surprised when you could go up the stairs, into the foyer, and navigate around inside to basically wherever you want. Inside the building.

News to me, just took the tour. :thumbsu:

That's been available at the TVSC for a while. Businesses and other attractions do it for exposure.

As does mine. It does every time there is one of these incidents; like the one in Kenya in April that got, compared to this, scant media attention despite a very similar number of people dying. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering because of this disgusting organisation and its offshoots; whether that be Shias, Kurds, Yazidis, the people of Paris, Kenyans, Somalis, Nigerians and of course the populations of Syria and Iraq.

The West is going to have face an uncomfortable truth, and soon. They did not learn their lesson from Afghanistan; they've armed loosely-termed 'Syrian rebels' in the past and some of them have morphed into components of ISIL today. Just like components of the Mujahideen in Afghanistan morphing into the Taliban.

But the real uncomfortable truth is the origin of this extremist ideology; namely, Saudi Arabia. Where does Saudi Arabia find the money to fund the spreading of its hardline Wahhabi/Salafi doctrine that is espoused by these arseholes? Through the West being addicted to its oil wells, that's where. Mass investment in renewable energy and alternative fuels needs to be made, to reduce that dependence, and Saudi Arabia needs to stop being treated with kid gloves, because they are the source of most of this problem and the West damn well enables them to be so.

ISIL are an evil, disgusting group of people who are determined not only to attack non-Sunnis (important distinction; they murder Shias and other non-Sunni Muslims more than any other group), but they are also determined for an irreparable chasm and wedge to develop between Muslims and everyone else.

And, judging by the comments that have been so widespread since that disgusting attack yesterday, they're bloody well getting their way. They'd be reading about and hearing the xenophobia and thinking "dance, puppets".

The whole thing is unbelievably sickening.

I shared this on Facebook earlier
image.jpeg

My husband who is one of the strongest, toughest people I know shed a tear yesterday

He cried for those parents who never got to say goodbye to their children, he cried for those innocent people going about their lives whether in France or Beirut who will never get to witness another sunrise.

He cried for the whole new world our children face.

We spoke about those innocent people who will suffer because of the actions of this one extremist group.

It's been a tough couple of days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back