Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading East towards you Godless souls for 36 hours in sunny Stawell on Wednesday.

How's it go, Keith, Bordertown, Kaniva, Nhill, Dimboola, Horsham.............end.

Is the speed limit still 100 over the border????

110 :)

Robbo had another big week when my greyhound's larynx finally packed it in. Tarnie has been suffering from the symptoms of laryngeal paralysis for three or four years. As a result, her outside activity reduced to brief walks when the weather conditions were mild.

On Monday my wife called me to advise that Tarnie was teetering and only medical intervention had prevented her from dying from asphyxiation. When I saw her at the Vets on Monday with drips and tubes I cried. She was heavily sedated and we had to move her to a 24 hour facility in Collingwood. She seemed to settle and we left with the intention of returning the next morning. Another call at after 10pm unsettled us and we dashed into the Clinic. The cat would have come also but the ride in the cage freaks her out.

By the time we arrived she had settled and was lucid. We spoke to her in turn and she responded. We could see she was stressed but other than soothing talk and lots of gentle pats we could do little. There was a little doubt about her exact condition as the Vet gave us a run down. The family discussed what we should do. Given her age, my wife and children thought that euthanasia was the best option. It wasn't the preferred option for them but, out of love, they thought it was the best option. Everyone looked to me. I was the jury member looking for the evidence to set the accused free. In reality it was only my vote that counted and, Tarnie, though furry is a child to me. I couldn't give the go ahead and we headed home in the early hours of the morning.

In the morning we headed back. As we got close the phone rang. Another event meant we had to give permission again to save her from asphyxiation. My wife did as we were only a few minutes away. When I walked in and saw her the weight of the world fell on me again. The Vet confirmed that after shining the light down her throat she was certain that it was LP. The surgeon was available if we wanted to talk about surgical intervention. We had a little time so we took the opportunity.

We spoke, we received all the information and gave permission for blood tests and a chest x-Ray. The results confirmed that her condition related to LP so the operation went ahead. This brought more pressure as our children disagreed with this action. We were there and we were well informed. We'd explained why later and just cop it for now. The op was a success and only took around an hour. We were told all the do's and don'ts from now on. Best of all we could take her home on Xmas Eve.

There were a few obstacles but we picked her up yesterday. Eating and drinking, understandably is a little patchy but it was better today. I think she'll be ready for a proper meal tomorrow. She likes roast chicken and the Vet has given it the thumbs up.

I know a lot of people would not have made this choice and I can understand and respect the reasons why. I know my head was involved but my heart played a bigger part. I hope that everyone I talk to about this understands.

Robbo had another big week when my greyhound's larynx finally packed it in. Tarnie has been suffering from the symptoms of laryngeal paralysis for three or four years. As a result, her outside activity reduced to brief walks when the weather conditions were mild.

On Monday my wife called me to advise that Tarnie was teetering and only medical intervention had prevented her from dying from asphyxiation. When I saw her at the Vets on Monday with drips and tubes I cried. She was heavily sedated and we had to move her to a 24 hour facility in Collingwood. She seemed to settle and we left with the intention of returning the next morning. Another call at after 10pm unsettled us and we dashed into the Clinic. The cat would have come also but the ride in the cage freaks her out.

By the time we arrived she had settled and was lucid. We spoke to her in turn and she responded. We could see she was stressed but other than soothing talk and lots of gentle pats we could do little. There was a little doubt about her exact condition as the Vet gave us a run down. The family discussed what we should do. Given her age, my wife and children thought that euthanasia was the best option. It wasn't the preferred option for them but, out of love, they thought it was the best option. Everyone looked to me. I was the jury member looking for the evidence to set the accused free. In reality it was only my vote that counted and, Tarnie, though furry is a child to me. I couldn't give the go ahead and we headed home in the early hours of the morning.

In the morning we headed back. As we got close the phone rang. Another event meant we had to give permission again to save her from asphyxiation. My wife did as we were only a few minutes away. When I walked in and saw her the weight of the world fell on me again. The Vet confirmed that after shining the light down her throat she was certain that it was LP. The surgeon was available if we wanted to talk about surgical intervention. We had a little time so we took the opportunity.

We spoke, we received all the information and gave permission for blood tests and a chest x-Ray. The results confirmed that her condition related to LP so the operation went ahead. This brought more pressure as our children disagreed with this action. We were there and we were well informed. We'd explained why later and just cop it for now. The op was a success and only took around an hour. We were told all the do's and don'ts from now on. Best of all we could take her home on Xmas Eve.

There were a few obstacles but we picked her up yesterday. Eating and drinking, understandably is a little patchy but it was better today. I think she'll be ready for a proper meal tomorrow. She likes roast chicken and the Vet has given it the thumbs up.

I know a lot of people would not have made this choice and I can understand and respect the reasons why. I know my head was involved but my heart played a bigger part. I hope that everyone I talk to about this understands.
There is no right or wrong answer in this mate. I can see from both sides of the coin.Hopefully you get plenty more time and cuddles with your furbaby. Cherish it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No suffering

Thinking of you Robbo. I hope Tarnie is well after the surgery and I hope she enjoyed her roast chicken :)

Thinking of you Robbo. I hope Tarnie is well after the surgery and I hope she enjoyed her roast chicken :)
She is doing well. Appetite has returned and she's a bit disappointed about being restricted to house duties. Expect she'll be allowed to go for a walk in 10 days.

Can't imagine the hell the people of Ararat/Moyston and other surrounding areas affected by those wild bush fires are going through. Got to give a hand to those brqve men and women CFA fire fighters.

Some unbelievable photos being posted on twitter. Everyone affected by these fires are in my thoughts ..

Hey HBF what is the fascination with Mike Larkan?

I recall he used to be the weather guy on Channel 10 in Canberra.

Mike Larkan or any other Aussie News weather reporters had nothing on the wonderful Edwin Maher, formerly of the ABC (now working in China, I believe)

Weather news watching was essential viewing with Edwin and his wacky pointers and eccentric style of reporting something as mundane as the weather :)

Pretty large fire happening around 20km from our place. Massive smoke plume and all that. I doubt we are in any danger but it was out of control when I checked earlier. Must be hell for firefighters on a stinking hot day trying to deal with it, knowing how important it is to get under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back