Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again another player I would be happy with if we picked him up. Plus I kind of like having the grandson of a 66 premiership player playing for us! Skinny Cooper was one of our best in '66 (watching the video replay he was anyway, I wasn't alive in '66)

He's another saints hard-luck story. Got rheumatic fever at 21 and was never as good after that.

He's another saints hard-luck story. Got rheumatic fever at 21 and was never as good after that.
With Morrow, was my old man's all-time favourite player.

Somewhere I've seen a video of one of Cooper's more special marks. He was probably 20m behind the pack as the ball was coming in and somehow went up and over the pack and marked it. He wasn't even in view until he got it. It was sort of like Riewoldt's mark without the crash at the end.
I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Again another player I would be happy with if we picked him up. Plus I kind of like having the grandson of a 66 premiership player playing for us! Skinny Cooper was one of our best in '66 (watching the video replay he was anyway, I wasn't alive in '66)

Yep, Ian Cooper had 23 disposals (18k, 5hb), 7 marks, 1 goal and 1 behind.
Looking at the stats, probably in our best 3 along with Ian Stewart with 28 disposals (25k, 3hb), 3 marks and Kevin Neale with 13 disposals (13k), 5 marks, 5 goals and 4 behinds.

What a game from Cowboy. Just beastly!
I only got the very tail end of Cowboys career when i started supporting the Saints. Always seemed a bit out of shape and Goofy acting to me.
Wasnt until i saw old footage ( including the GF ) that i thought "s**t!!! This bloke could actually play. And he was tough bastard as well"
He did so much for the Football club over the yrs in various sort of 'ambassador' rolls as well. A bloody good Saints man.
I remember speaking to him yrs ago . I think it was at the S.O.S ( save our Saints) rally at Moorabbin and he was such a nice bloke:thumbsu:

I only got the very tail end of Cowboys career when i started supporting the Saints. Always seemed a bit out of shape and Goofy acting to me.
Wasnt until i saw old footage ( including the GF ) that i thought "s**t!!! This bloke could actually play. And he was tough bastard as well"
He did so much for the Football club over the yrs in various sort of 'ambassador' rolls as well. A bloody good Saints man.
I remember speaking to him yrs ago . I think it was at the S.O.S ( save our Saints) rally at Moorabbin and he was such a nice bloke:thumbsu:

Back then you could go into the rooms or in the huddle during praccy games. Cowboy was always one of the first to light up a ciggie at half time.

Bumped into him at Moorabbin when getting my 97 GF tix. I'd swear some of these guys want us to win a flag even more than the current lot.

Just sitting here after golf today and a few Coronas and nearly finished bottle of RWT 2011 Mmmm. Thinking how footy wont be the same next year with no Lenny very sad Very p1ssed to

After the ridiculous trade period with players up and going where ever the hell they like l don't think footy will be ever be the same

Love the sevens.

I went and saw 2 days when the commonwealth games were in Melbourne.
The short format is terrific for that sort of event. A whole series and finals in 3 days.

The thing about 7s over normal rugby is that the game play itself is much faster than other forms of rugby.
With footy it would be just some bastardised form of the game. Though I guess flooding would be out of the question so there might be more one on one contests. hmmm

I went to the Hong Kong Sevens about 6 years ago and I still rate it as one of the best trips of my life. The Rugby was electric and off field it was a festival like atmosphere for days. If the AFL could capture that in the pre-season then it would be fantastic. Imagine the Saints rolling out for 2x 7 minute halves with 14 players on each team (no centre or flanks). Put it somewhere fun with plenty of accom (say Gold Coast) and make it a festival atmosphere.

The trade that killed me as a kid was giving Russell Greene to the Hawks for Mark Scott.
Scott was a handy fwd for a couple of yrs before dropping off badly.
Greene 3 flags, Hawks B&F ( in a super strong side) VFL MVP & Vic Capt.:(

Mark Scott was leading goal kicker in the magoos almost every year. couldn't get a crack because of Moncreiff. IIRC we also had Moncreiff at one stage.

Russell Greene and Val Perovic.. ouch.

at that time, I think the best we did was Rex Hunt, Paul Callery and Graeme Bond. Bondy was a good player. Losing Trott to the Hawks was also bad.

Then we had Rob and Glen Elliott... the list goes on.

Anyone remember Tony King?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Scott was leading goal kicker in the magoos almost every year. couldn't get a crack because of Moncreiff. IIRC we also had Moncreiff at one stage.

at that time, I think the best we did was Rex Hunt, Paul Callery and Graeme Bond. Bondy was a good player. Losing Trott to the Hawks was also bad.

Glen Elliiot good player #8 ?
And big Val Perovic, But losing Russell Greene :(

Do you remember Russell Tweedale

King was actually part of the swap. Greene for Scott & King. But i didnt think King was even worth mentioning :(

My earliest memories...

Besanko 11, Colling 12, Elliot G 8, Perovic, Neale 18, Mynott 1, Breen 4, Lawrence 5, Smith 3, Moran 15, Theodore 23, Ditterich 10, Young 27, O'Dea 14, Payze 20, Trott 7, Bonney, Granbeau 34, Judson 42, Pup Sarau 31, Manzie and probably a few others.

My earliest memories...

Besanko 11, Colling 12, Elliot G 8, Perovic, Neale 18, Mynott 1, Breen 4, Lawrence 5, Smith 3, Moran 15, Theodore 23, Ditterich 10, Young 27, O'Dea 14, Payze 20, Trott 7, Bonney, Granbeau 34, Judson 42, Pup Sarau 31, Manzie and probably a few others.
About the same for me, O'Dea & Young were a couple of my Favourites, Jeff Dunne 8, Maurice O'keefe 15, Phil Stevens,

Check this one out...

That Smith boy could play.

Carl had the worst ball drop in history but his snap from the pocket is Milne-esque.

And speaking of Milne... the ultimate irony becomes apparent in the last quarter. See if you can spot it.

Funny though after all these years, the game hasn't changed... Carl playing ruck / fwd when Mynott was rucking.

I could have sworn that Oung kicked 5 in this game, but he wasn't even playing.

Enjoy.

Anyone hear that in the 2010 GF when Milney kicked long to the Maxwell mark that lead to the Cloke goal, Kosi was 40 meters in the clear at CHF? If he got it to him and Kosi had a ping it could've been all over :(

After the ridiculous trade period with players up and going where ever the hell they like l don't think footy will be ever be the same
Not as bad as NRL, they announce there future clubs half way through the season & half of them change clubs more than they change underwear. :confused: Oh! Wait a minute, don't think they wear underwear, helps for them to tuck their heads in, in a scrum.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back