Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axcellence

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Surprise!
This draft period has claimed its first victim, me!

To put it in perspective I'm very out of shape after four months of non exercise and most of that eating my way through Europe! I've put on 15kgs in that time, so at the end of a workout session in a grass paddock mind you (first mistake) I decided to see how I rated amongst the draftees times over a 20m sprint. First run, 3.04 which was ok as I used to be a decent sprinter about 15 years ago, second run - about a metre left I feel a ping.

Major, major hamstring snap. :(

To quote Danny Glover, I'm too old for this s**t! Currently on a couch in a world of pain, cheer me up lads! :cry:

Clearly, you failed the skinfold tests there.

TheJackal

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cant stay on the park, spud do not draft.

To be fair, Hawthorn gave up pick 19 for a spud with a history of hamstrings.

Damn.
How old are you?

32 in a week or so, never really worked on the running after school. Definitely qualified for the mature aged rookie spot!

Clearly, you failed the skinfold tests there.

Agree, word is I just scraped in under Clem Smiths score though!

Oh jebus I reckon you might slide out of the first round after that

I reckon there is a good chance of that now TLE. Might put plans of a comeback to footy on ice - it's a Coleman type retirement I feel!

Anyone done a hammy before, I've broken plenty of bones but this pain is worse than those. I'd hate to feel what an ACL is like!

This draft period has claimed its first victim, me!

To put it in perspective I'm very out of shape after four months of non exercise and most of that eating my way through Europe! I've put on 15kgs in that time, so at the end of a workout session in a grass paddock mind you (first mistake) I decided to see how I rated amongst the draftees times over a 20m sprint. First run, 3.04 which was ok as I used to be a decent sprinter about 15 years ago, second run - about a metre left I feel a ping.

Major, major hamstring snap. :(

To quote Danny Glover, I'm too old for this s**t! Currently on a couch in a world of pain, cheer me up lads! :cry:
I played footy from the age of 8 till I was 32 .Amazingly I never ever did 1 hammy over all those yrs.
A few weeks ago I rode my bike around to my brothers house which is only a good torpedo kick away.
Nearly tore my bloody hammy from the bone. It was like a lone sniper on the grassy knoll shot me from behind.
Thankfully I was by myself because I let out a squeal that was very high pitched and very unmanly.
I had to walk the bike the rest of the way limping like a woman who had just lost one high heel shoe.
I cant even look at my bike without wincing now.
Hope that cheered you up :thumbsu:

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Ha you young blokes are just a bunch of sooks ;)

Wait until you start pinging calves and you know you are old.

But the good news for you young whippersnappers is that I am in my mid fifties only just started to run again five years ago (after arthroscopes on both knees) and have now started running half marathons.

Dot stop the running, you get slower but it is just as fun.

Good luck with the hammy

I played footy from the age of 8 till I was 32 .Amazingly I never ever did 1 hammy over all those yrs.
A few weeks ago I rode my bike around to my brothers house which is only a good torpedo kick away.
Nearly tore my bloody hammy from the bone. It was like a lone sniper on the grassy knoll shot me from behind.
Thankfully I was by myself because I let out a squeal that was very high pitched and very unmanly.
I had to walk the bike the rest of the way limping like a woman who had just lost one high heel shoe.
I cant even look at my bike without wincing now.
Hope that cheered you up :thumbsu:

Yep age related hammies Ouch. I did the same trying to play footy a couple of years ago in my late 30s. Took off and though a sniper got me from behind with a rifle. And it took a while to get over too. A mate did the achilles the same way and that was worse. I had a partial tear at around 18 and never got it joined up and played sport with it with no problems, he was fit and it snapped and curled up like a roller blind.

Ha you young blokes are just a bunch of sooks ;)

Wait until you start pinging calves and you know you are old.

But the good news for you young whippersnappers is that I am in my mid fifties only just started to run again five years ago (after arthroscopes on both knees) and have now started running half marathons.

Dot stop the running, you get slower but it is just as fun.

Good luck with the hammy

How any one finds running fun I don't know. I was a fan of team sport but always hated training. If I run these days the joints all hurt for days. I've been training my kids at basketball and I can't stand up quickly for two days after playing on the outdoor courts. I tried to dunk for them and couldn't even jump high enough to touch the ring. Age is depressing.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
More depressing when you cant do it at all and understand what your body can and cant do.

In the last five years I done the calf three times (early on, not for about three years) had plantis faciacia in my left foot for three months, and have had a left ligament ankle problem for over a year that I need to mange and strap every time I run.

Just revise down your expectations. In my twenties (back in the 80's) I ran multiple Cit to Surfs in Sydney with a best time of just on an hour. Now the same distance takes me thirty minutes more.

Nothing good about ageing except it beats the alternative. I wont give up my running and my exercise until I'm incapacitated or in my grave.

Stuff age, it will eventually get me, but I will make the prick work for this unit.

TheJackal

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
More depressing when you cant do it at all and understand what your body can and cant do.

In the last five years I done the calf three times (early on, not for about three years) had plantis faciacia in my left foot for three months, and have had a left ligament ankle problem for over a year that I need to mange and strap every time I run.

Just revise down your expectations. In my twenties (back in the 80's) I ran multiple Cit to Surfs in Sydney with a best time of just on an hour. Now the same distance takes me thirty minutes more.

Nothing good about ageing except it beats the alternative. I wont give up my running and my exercise until I'm incapacitated or in my grave.

Stuff age, it will eventually get me, but I will make the prick work for this unit.

Joffaboy channelling the late Tommy Hafey! It's impressive reading mate

There is a serious lack of love in this conversation for Battlestar Gallactica's remake.
Yes there is .
Some of the cylons were , well "hot", as were the reincarnation of "Boomer" etc but the american's love turning something as gung ho as BG into a political drama. And the woman who was president or leader or whatever was just so spaced out on valium or similar and annoyed the s**t out of me.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
Been watching Justified and The Bridge.

Both very well written shows.

Loved Justified and yeah shame it is ending soon. Liked the Bridge although there are like 3 different versions of it.

Also Banshee - Season 3 starts in January next year - very visceral

Ray Donovan is a great series - just finished season 2

Of course Walking Dead, SOA, GOT, & Boardwalk Empire - goes without saying

Suits, House of Lies, House of Cards, True Detective, The Newsroom

So much good stuff on TV recently....

TheLastEmperor

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Series 2 of True Detective is going to feature Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda

im 44 in about 6 weeks, haven't seen my old fella for 2 years, my bones creak and every time I bend over I let out a grandpa groan. Oh yeah, and every time I go for a run I get gout! Who was the bloody liar that said life begins at 40??? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
Yep age related hammies Ouch. I did the same trying to play footy a couple of years ago in my late 30s. Took off and though a sniper got me from behind with a rifle. And it took a while to get over too. A mate did the achilles the same way and that was worse. I had a partial tear at around 18 and never got it joined up and played sport with it with no problems, he was fit and it snapped and curled up like a roller blind.

Don't wanna contribute to de-railing the thread but what the heck, the draft still feels ages away so we need something to talk about. ;)

Made a comeback to footy this year as a 35 year old. First match back, kicked five goals, felt on top of the world. Second match back, kicked two first quarter goals including a snap from the boundary line on the wrong side for a right footer. The coach then swings me into the midfield. I get the ball and burst away from the centre to hear a load snap and fall in a heap thinking I had been tripped. There was no one around me, I had snapped my achilles! Was in absolute agony. An ambulance ride and surgery later, I can honestly say it is the worst injury I've gotten and I have pretty much had them all from a long footy and soccer career. Still walk with pain some days 5 months down the track after plaster for 8 weeks. My sporting career is officially over and it does make you feel old that's for sure but no way am I going through an injury like this again!

Multiple hip surgeries, knee surgery, constant hamstrings and finally broken ribs did for me for football...

Got convinced to come back to cricket after nearly a decade; one game, one over: hamstring.

Pulled a muscle in my back putting out the washing yesterday. Ugh.

Multiple hip surgeries, knee surgery, constant hamstrings and finally broken ribs did for me for football...

ouch!! ribs are the worst Unc.
I got absolutely smashed in a pack mark one day and I hit the ground laying on my side then had a huge fat bloke land ot top of me.
Squashed me so hard that one of my ribs popped out of the cartlelidge where they join at your sternum.
I couldnt lift my right arm above my head for about 6 weeks and I still have a lump where it popped out.

ouch!! ribs are the worst Unc.
I got absolutely smashed in a pack mark one day and I hit the ground laying on my side then had a huge fat bloke land ot top of me.
Squashed me so hard that one of my ribs popped out of the cartlelidge where they join at your sternum.
I couldnt lift my right arm above my head for about 6 weeks and I still have a lump where it popped out.
Cracked 'em in the last round of the season.

Named 1st emergency for the elimination final the week after, bloke pulled out on the morning of the game with, ironically, busted ribs, said nothing and played, just before quarter time copped one right down the middle. Aaaaaaaaand done.

Oddly enough, never made it back after that; tried a couple of times - preaseasons and such - but successive leg surgeries meant I never got continuity or fitness back and lost all of my pace, which was about all I had in the first place.

I chose poorly.

Cracked 'em in the last round of the season.

Named 1st emergency for the elimination final the week after, bloke pulled out on the morning of the game with, ironically, busted ribs, said nothing and played, just before quarter time copped one right down the middle. Aaaaaaaaand done.

Oddly enough, never made it back after that; tried a couple of times - preaseasons and such - but successive leg surgeries meant I never got continuity or fitness back and lost all of my pace, which was about all I had in the first place.

I chose poorly.
yeah thats the thing with ribs. You convince yourself they feel ok.UNTILL you cop another hit .

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
Don't wanna contribute to de-railing the thread but what the heck, the draft still feels ages away so we need something to talk about. ;)

Made a comeback to footy this year as a 35 year old. First match back, kicked five goals, felt on top of the world. Second match back, kicked two first quarter goals including a snap from the boundary line on the wrong side for a right footer. The coach then swings me into the midfield. I get the ball and burst away from the centre to hear a load snap and fall in a heap thinking I had been tripped. There was no one around me, I had snapped my achilles! Was in absolute agony. An ambulance ride and surgery later, I can honestly say it is the worst injury I've gotten and I have pretty much had them all from a long footy and soccer career. Still walk with pain some days 5 months down the track after plaster for 8 weeks. My sporting career is officially over and it does make you feel old that's for sure but no way am I going through an injury like this again!

Mate sorry to hear, hope your rehab goes well...

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Has the club changed its reserved seating for next year ?

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
To bring this back to Scifi chat for a moment: Go to the movies and see Interstellar. It's 169 min long but if you like space travel, wormholes, blackholes and the end of the human race you should enjoy it. The soundtrack is also amazing.

With players being suspended, Hird and Thompson also possibly having time out of the game, maybe BJ can step up as captain coach?
main_1981_vfl_kelloggs_corn_flakes_australian_football_greats_05_alex_jesaulenko_saints.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back