Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I cant get into that sport at all Kegs.
I never get any enjoyment watching a bloke kick another bloke either.

Unless of course its the last 10 seconds of the original Karate kid movie and then I start to feel like this
View attachment 193273

It sort of shits me that Steven Baker got rubbed out for all those weeks for a sneaky little snipe, yet this so called sport involves punching someone on the ground who has already been knocked out.

Call them athletes, i'll just call them whores , ( male and female ) giving people their kinky violence kick for money.

Dissenting voice here.

Mixed martial arts still retains some manner of discipline; calmness, being still. These people still go out there and still endeavour to look at another person and mentally incapacitate them in so many different ways using the various skills at their disposal however at the end, they will likely share a cup of tea, have a sit down and otherwise get along fine.

Steve Baker looked at an injured bloke or a bloke not paying attention and otherwise endeavoured to be a dick to that person to get a leg up. He did not have discipline, he was not calm, he was not still, he was a dick and we loved him for it.

This is a regulated match, in which you go until the other person submits the fight, or is incapacitated. This is not say straight boxing in which case you go for the head, the head, and nothing but the head in an attempt to induce massive head trauma, the word art is there because it is an art, and like most art it's subjective, some might love, some might like, some might run away screaming bloody mercy.

It's ignorant to just call it violence.

I would love to be able to learn a martial art, several martial arts, I would love to have the discipline to do so (to obviously go with the physical ability to, which I don't have medically) and yes I would love to then enter competition to test my discipline against someone elses discipline in that chosen field, not for self gratification or because I want to beat down someone as a violent person, but as a pathway to growth from another, as one has many teachers and you can learn through such things. If I did not fully prepare to best that other person, counter them, strengthen myself, then what is the point? If I do not go out to effectively hurt them, then what is the point?

And see, those that like boxing will disagree with me, they will view it as skillful, they will view it in all manner of glowing praise for it and see how we all differ as to how we view things?

I still wouldn't say boxing is for enjoying violence, different strokes for different blokes. I commend the women involved to get to that level of discipline in their craft.

Dissenting voice here.

Mixed martial arts still retains some manner of discipline; calmness, being still. These people still go out there and still endeavour to look at another person and mentally incapacitate them in so many different ways using the various skills at their disposal however at the end, they will likely share a cup of tea, have a sit down and otherwise get along fine.

Steve Baker looked at an injured bloke or a bloke not paying attention and otherwise endeavoured to be a dick to that person to get a leg up. He did not have discipline, he was not calm, he was not still, he was a dick and we loved him for it.

This is a regulated match, in which you go until the other person submits the fight, or is incapacitated. This is not say straight boxing in which case you go for the head, the head, and nothing but the head in an attempt to induce massive head trauma, the word art is there because it is an art, and like most art it's subjective, some might love, some might like, some might run away screaming bloody mercy.

I would love to be able to learn a martial art, several martial arts, I would love to have the discipline to do so (to obviously go with the physical ability to, which I don't have medically) and yes I would love to then enter competition to test my discipline against someone elses discipline in that chosen field, not for self gratification or because I want to beat down someone as a violent person, but as a pathway to growth from another, as one has many teachers and you can learn through such things. If I did not fully prepare to best that other person, counter them, strengthen myself, then what is the point? If I do not go out to effectively hurt them, then what is the point?

And see, those that like boxing will disagree with me, they will view it as skillful, they will view it in all manner of glowing praise for it and see how we all differ as to how we view things?

I still wouldn't say boxing is for enjoying violence, different strokes for different blokes. I commend the women involved to get to that level of discipline in their craft.

I saw one woman kick another in the head, then punch her in the head AFTER she is knocked out.
IF head injuries and concussion are of such a concern in AFL, what makes the discipline of this sport better.
People are being paid to ruin their health.

Dissenting voice here.

I guess we agree to disagree on this one mate.

I can appreciate their skills which they have undoubtably worked very hard on.

BUT- for me, once a person is on the ground then they should be off limits. To swarm over them and continue to lay into them when they are totally defense less sickens me actually.

Then you factor in the culture change amongst today's youth who seem to think it's ok to gang bash a single victim and you have an awful combination IMO.

Not saying UFC and random street attacks go hand in hand, but I don't think UFC helps change the culture of gutless "kick them while they're down" cowards who wreak havoc on our youth every single weekend.

Blame the ref then? They stop the fight when one fighter is incapacitated or no longer able to fight? Just food for thought..
I can understand why she 'hits when shes down' however, it's because she has to make sure the other fighter isnt able to continue..there's been fights when someone's been dropped but not knocked out and they end up losing. Holly didn't want to take any chances after landing that head kick, she made sure that Rousey was KO'd and incapable of getting up..

Blame the ref then? They stop the fight when one fighter is incapacitated or no longer able to fight? Just food for thought..
I can understand why she 'hits when shes down' however, it's because she has to make sure the other fighter isnt able to continue..there's been fights when someone's been dropped but not knocked out and they end up losing. Holly didn't want to take any chances after landing that head kick, she made sure that Rousey was KO'd and incapable of getting up..

I respect your right to have your view on it, but I don't like that part of it one little bit. Anyway, time to move on; I think I've made my thoughts pretty clear.

On a different note, Mitchell Johnson retiring effective the end of this test. Has bowled some rubbish spells on occasions, but bloody hell- when he was on song he was frighteningly good. Hope he enjoys his retirement. :thumbsu:

Or blame the so called sport.
You could also have a sport where highly trained athletes tried to belt each other with a bit of 4 by 2. I'm sure it would eventually involve a lot of skill.
But is it a good idea?

Comparisons with boxing are ridiculous......and I used to love properly controlled & administered boxing.
Boxing has become UFC's ugly sister. No controls, 1000 different divisions (just make another one up if u want to try & get a piece of the pie) brain damaged individuals everywhere.
Mundine's fight last week was definitive evidence as to what is wrong with boxing. Knocked senseless 3 times...standing 8 counts & only stopped because Mundine's father was in his corner & threw in the towel.
This would never happen in the UFC, as soon as it is obvious that a fighter is incapable of fighting back and/or "not with it" the fight is stopped.
Rousey may have copped a couple of extra hits because the ref couldn't get in quick enough but surely that is better than the continuous hits to the head in boxing.
Oh, and now there is talk Mundine will fight Green again WTF, wheelchairs anyone?

I guess we agree to disagree on this one mate.

I can appreciate their skills which they have undoubtably worked very hard on.

BUT- for me, once a person is on the ground then they should be off limits. To swarm over them and continue to lay into them when they are totally defense less sickens me actually.

Then you factor in the culture change amongst today's youth who seem to think it's ok to gang bash a single victim and you have an awful combination IMO.

Not saying UFC and random street attacks go hand in hand, but I don't think UFC helps change the culture of gutless "kick them while they're down" cowards who wreak havoc on our youth every single weekend.

Apologies but I take issue with the term "swarm", Holly threw 2 punches. 2. when Rousey was floored before the match was stopped by the rep.

This is with the knowledge that Rousey is a 4th degree black belt in judo, in which judo is primarily a grapple art, I would be of the assumption (I did not watch the match) that Holmes went in for those strikes as she was not confident the kick (looked more like a knee from the 2min grab new sites have) did not concuss Rousey, and that had she approached, Rousey would then floor her and end it with her judo background through submission.

They both have a boxing background, Holmes was more prominent, they diverged as Rousey had a judo background, whereas Holmes went Kickboxing.

You'll get no argument with regards to society and the wider issues of what happens with regular joes, it's largely why I stressed discipline when speaking about martial arts, since this is both important and taught in line with, as well as accompanying any respected teacher of the art. people who catch it from UFC, from self teaching youtube videos and the like, they may gain skill, but they do not gain discipline in most cases to use it effectively.

Or blame the so called sport.
You could also have a sport where highly trained athletes tried to belt each other with a bit of 4 by 2. I'm sure it would eventually involve a lot of skill.
But is it a good idea?

I blame golf for making me fall asleep, does this count? Also, pretty sure log throwing is a thing and not just part of the worlds strongest man thing, and technically kendo is fencing only with wooden (bamboo) swords where you often lose because yours breaks under the force, and even then with kendo it's about discipline through the use of a katana, since 1975ish the association came out with a rough translation (Japanese origin) of;

To mold the mind and body.
To cultivate a vigorous spirit,
And through correct and rigid training,
To strive for improvement in the art of Kendo.
To hold in esteem human courtesy and honor.
To associate with others with sincerity.
And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.
Thus will one be able:
To love one's country and society;
To contribute to the development of culture;
And to promote peace and prosperity among all peoples.

Had a strange dream last night.

I dreamt that st kilda and carlton were playing and I had gone to bed early. Only waking up to find out saints had lost by 5 goals.:eek:

Then I woke up and checked the scores, and actually we had won by 5 points and it was a dream that I had about the loss.:eek:

Then I woke up to see it was all a dream, it's draft day today.:eek:

Way too effed up.:drunk:

Had a strange dream last night.

I dreamt that st kilda and carlton were playing and I had gone to bed early. Only waking up to find out saints had lost by 5 goals.:eek:

Then I woke up and checked the scores, and actually we had won by 5 points and it was a dream that I had about the loss.:eek:

Then I woke up to see it was all a dream, it's draft day today.:eek:

Way too effed up.:drunk:
s**t man that was just like Inception.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dissenting voice here.

I completely agree with everything you have said in the above. But would however add that UFC has a small issue, which will only be fully realised when the terrible happens. The mentality in UFC is to go until the ref stops you. And the ref is currently inclined to make sure the fight is over and that a fighter isn't in a condition where they can win off the mat. This is particularly difficult to determine in UFC since being on the mat isn't always that bad a thing.
However what that combination of circumstance means is that otherwise sensible people will watch an otherwise sensible person (the ref) watch an otherwise sensible person (fighter A) potentially end the life of fighter B just because they were thinking the person was unconscious and seriously injured but thought they better just make sure.

It happened in Boxing, and even in a sport like American Football there has had to be huge mentality changes. Just 10 years ago it was all about being tough and beating on each other as much as possible; the americans especially used to love talking about "going to war" and "laying the body on the line". Then suddenly people are being diagnosed with CTE in their 30s and maybe hitting each other in the head as hard as possible, and "toughing it" through a concussion, aren't so clever. In American Football they don't even play to the whistle now - a staple phrase for 100 years - they play until the play is obviously over. You don't cripple some defenceless opponent just because the whistle hasn't blown yet.

I don't blame the fighter here, they were sticking with the conditions the UFC set out. But those conditions in my opinion need to change - they need to start jumping in earlier and having a moment where the ref gets to see if an opponent is out cold rather than letting some more punches land first.

I completely agree with everything you have said in the above. But would however add that UFC has a small issue, which will only be fully realised when the terrible happens. The mentality in UFC is to go until the ref stops you. And the ref is currently inclined to make sure the fight is over and that a fighter isn't in a condition where they can win off the mat. This is particularly difficult to determine in UFC since being on the mat isn't always that bad a thing.
However what that combination of circumstance means is that otherwise sensible people will watch an otherwise sensible person (the ref) watch an otherwise sensible person (fighter A) potentially end the life of fighter B just because they were thinking the person was unconscious and seriously injured but thought they better just make sure.

It happened in Boxing, and even in a sport like American Football there has had to be huge mentality changes. Just 10 years ago it was all about being tough and beating on each other as much as possible; the americans especially used to love talking about "going to war" and "laying the body on the line". Then suddenly people are being diagnosed with CTE in their 30s and maybe hitting each other in the head as hard as possible, and "toughing it" through a concussion, aren't so clever. In American Football they don't even play to the whistle now - a staple phrase for 100 years - they play until the play is obviously over. You don't cripple some defenceless opponent just because the whistle hasn't blown yet.

I don't blame the fighter here, they were sticking with the conditions the UFC set out. But those conditions in my opinion need to change - they need to start jumping in earlier and having a moment where the ref gets to see if an opponent is out cold rather than letting some more punches land first.

I can only assume that , unlike the AFL, all of the organizers are planning to be well out of the picture by the time the brain damage lawsuits start rolling in.

The hate towards Chicken Nixon & sympathy towards Kim Duthie in the media is both really disturbing & nauseating for mine.

Let's recap the timeline:

- starts dating Sam Gilbert after she tells him she's a 19yr old athlete who goes to the AIS in Canberra.
- he breaks up with her when he finds out she stole photos off his laptop & that she was actually a 17 yr old schoolgirl.
- she then goes to the papers claiming she's pregnant.
- she then releases to social media the naked photos of the Saints players stolen off Gilbert's computer.
- she then plays victim & encourages the StKilda FC & AFL to counsel her through this difficult time.
- during this time, she uses Ricky Nixon to gain more publicity & ambushes him in the infamous 'hotel video'.
- truth then comes out she was never pregnant & lied about the whole thing.
- she then goes on The Project & says she doesn't know what is or isn't the truth anymore.
- she then stalks Ricky Nixon for 2 months, culminating in her being found in the back streets of Barwon Heads, or somewhere (can't remember exactly), in a manic state as she couldn't find where Ricky was staying at his holiday house & the media had managed to track her down to find out what she was doing in the area.

I have no sympathy for this bitch at all. Sure Nixon may have been out of line for engaging in an intimate relationship with her, but to paint Ricky as the bad guy & her the innocent young girl that was seduced by the older man? Get ****ed. It's exactly what she wanted to happen. That's what sociopaths do. She is way ******* worse than he is by a country mile & then some more!

Kim Duthie reminds me of the female character in Gone Girl. There is just so much likeness it's not even a joke!

/end rant

If we were all stuck on an island with no hope of rescue, I'm in the boat of risking the sharks and swimming for freedom.

With respect to Nixon and Duthie, but my sanity wouldn't be able to take it indefinitely.

I watched the 1970s Woody Allen sci fi comedy "Sleeper" with my wife last night, I convinced her to watch it with me because she only knows Woody Allen's pathetic recent stuff. I hadn't watched it it a few years.

F me, it was bad. A couple of vaguely amusing jokes, some trademark 70s pop philosophy about life/sex/love, invasive and irritatingly loud ragtime jazz soundtrack blasts, and shitty budget props etc.

Hasn't aged well, like the director.

Last edited:
I watched the 1970s Woody Allen sci fi comedy "Sleeper" with my wife last night, I convinced her to watch it with me because she only knows Woody Allen's pathetic recent stuff. I hadn't watched it it a few years.

F me, it was bad. A couple of vaguely amuzing jokes, some trademark 70s pop philosophy about life/sex/love, invasive and irritatingly loud ragtime jazz soundtrack blasts, and shitty budget props etc.

Hasn't aged well, like the director.

Woody Allen just makes mildly inoffensive films about nothing these days.

The only recent movie i liked from him was "midnight in paris" and that came out in 2007. Wasn't a an intellectually giant movie, but paris looked great and casting was amazing with a lot of great cameos.

The hate towards Chicken Nixon & sympathy towards Kim Duthie in the media is both really disturbing & nauseating for mine.

Let's recap the timeline:

- starts dating Sam Gilbert after she tells him she's a 19yr old athlete who goes to the AIS in Canberra.
- he breaks up with her when he finds out she stole photos off his laptop & that she was actually a 17 yr old schoolgirl.
- she then goes to the papers claiming she's pregnant.
- she then releases to social media the naked photos of the Saints players stolen off Gilbert's computer.
- she then plays victim & encourages the StKilda FC & AFL to counsel her through this difficult time.
- during this time, she uses Ricky Nixon to gain more publicity & ambushes him in the infamous 'hotel video'.
- truth then comes out she was never pregnant & lied about the whole thing.
- she then goes on The Project & says she doesn't know what is or isn't the truth anymore.
- she then stalks Ricky Nixon for 2 months, culminating in her being found in the back streets of Barwon Heads, or somewhere (can't remember exactly), in a manic state as she couldn't find where Ricky was staying at his holiday house & the media had managed to track her down to find out what she was doing in the area.

I have no sympathy for this bitch at all. Sure Nixon may have been out of line for engaging in an intimate relationship with her, but to paint Ricky as the bad guy & her the innocent young girl that was seduced by the older man? Get stuffed. It's exactly what she wanted to happen. That's what sociopaths do. She is way ******* worse than he is by a country mile & then some more!

Kim Duthie reminds me of the female character in Gone Girl. There is just so much likeness it's not even a joke!

/end rant

no sympathy for either of them. No rational, sane man lets himself get "seduced" by 17 year old psychopaths.
....and after seeing some repulsive things on twitter last night,... from a FB post, well.. lets just say, I hope he runs into some real assholes in life... or a real train.

no sympathy for either of them. No rational, sane man lets himself get "seduced" by 17 year old psychopaths.
....and after seeing some repulsive things on twitter last night,... from a FB post, well.. lets just say, I hope he runs into some real assholes in life... or a real train.
I have no sympathy for Chicken, just find it appalling that there appears to be soooo much sympathy for Kim Duthie in the media & public arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back