Discussion Random Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
NRL seems to translate nicely to television, so much so that the crowds to matches bear no reflection on how popular the sport is. As such, the entertainment is specifically targeted to the television audience. I think the AFL are trying to entertain the 100,000 at the match and in doing so provide a lesser spectacle to viewers on TV.

NRL seems to translate nicely to television, so much so that the crowds to matches bear no reflection on how popular the sport is. As such, the entertainment is specifically targeted to the television audience. I think the AFL are trying to entertain the 100,000 at the match and in doing so provide a lesser spectacle to viewers on TV.

My experience of being at GFs is there is a good portion of the time entertainment is on spent in line for the toilets and bar. Maybe they should try to entertain the TV crowd.

Gangnam Saint

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

I suspect the NRL are entertaining both the crowd and the TV audience. Not sure it's necessary to draw the distinction.
Either way they consistently do a better job than the AFL.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I think the NRL even does a better job than the AFL. They tend to get better acts that seem less cringeworthy. Somehow the AFL have a talent for finding acts that repel even the people in the age groups that they intend to entertain. When I was young I had a few friends in film school and we used to have a weekly s**t film festival where you would try to come up with something truly terrible when it was your turn to host. I'm pretty sure the AFL hierarchy have come up with a similar system for choosing musical acts. If we could just come up with something better it wouldn't be more expensive - just better. Meatloaf cost $850,000 I heard.

Yep meatloaf was no good. The NRL do it better most times but who cares. They may spend more. I don't know one person goes for the entertainment and if they do Id rather they not go and give their ticket to a footy fan. The entertainment is good enough. The footy is what its about. And even when people say so and so was a good act obviously there will be others who say they weren't. We wanted young acts and they get Jet I think one year. People then said we want older acts so they get Ritchie so now we want young acts so they get Goulding. You will always have people complaining. If we had Jimmy Barnes every young kid would say who is this fool. Every 50 year old would love him. Luckily we have a great game so who gives a rats about the silly entertainment.

Yep meatloaf was no good. The NRL do it better most times but who cares. They may spend more. I don't know one person goes for the entertainment and if they do Id rather they not go and give their ticket to a footy fan. The entertainment is good enough. The footy is what its about. And even when people say so and so was a good act obviously there will be others who say they weren't. We wanted young acts and they get Jet I think one year. People then said we want older acts so they get Ritchie so now we want young acts so they get Goulding. You will always have people complaining. If we had Jimmy Barnes every young kid would say who is this fool. Every 50 year old would love him. Luckily we have a great game so who gives a rats about the silly entertainment.

I think that is the point, if you are going to appeal to your audience at least work out what they like. Bryan Adams was s**t in 1987 why the * would we want to see him again. If they went ironic and got hold of Aqua or something they might at least get laughs. Barnsey is not a really high appeal act and wouldn't work. Get someone better to choose the entertainment- pay an event company to do it. Even the NRL getting a reformed group like You am I at least is Aussie and they can rock the stadium. It would have cost about $10,000 tops compared to Meatloaf at $850 000 for an act no one liked in 1971 or when ever he was around.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I think that is the point, if you are going to appeal to your audience at least work out what they like. Bryan Adams was s**t in 1987 why the **** would we want to see him again. If they went ironic and got hold of Aqua or something they might at least get laughs. Barnsey is not a really high appeal act and wouldn't work. Get someone better to choose the entertainment- pay an event company to do it. Even the NRL getting a reformed group like You am I at least is Aussie and they can rock the stadium. It would have cost about $10,000 tops compared to Meatloaf at $850 000 for an act no one liked in 1971 or when ever he was around.

Your post proves my point. You say you am I would be good but Barnsey wouldn't. Others may disagree. You say Adams is no good but others wouldn't. You say no one liked Meatloaf in 1971 and others would totally disagree. By the way I thought Barnsey played in the NRL last year and people say that was better than ours. I reckon if the NRL and American footy was a better game and they also had better entertainment they would be way ahead. Fortunately I believe we have the better game and that is what GF day is about.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yay lets have blow up kangaroo's.
I seriously cringe at most opening/closing ceremonies.

One thing is the question of cost.
The Superbowl was in SanFrancisco
There is an amazing list of artists who could probably drive to the game from their house.
Its a bit different when you start talking about putting them on a plane to Australia to perform a short music set, remembering that there is more revenue for the Superbowl in the first place.

Its low priority for me too.
If someone told me the Grand Finals tickets were going to cost 50% extra because Beyonce was going to sing 2 songs. I wouldn't be happy.
( am i the only one who thinks that Beyonce is attractive but overrated, and her songs are repetitive and monotonous )?

Also maybe this is what Meatloaf should have done :
( From Wikipedia )
It was later revealed that the music was pre-recorded. Red Hot Chili Pepper's drummer, Chad Smith responded on Twitter by saying "FYI... Every band in the last 10 years at the Super Bowl has performed to a previously recorded track. It's the NFL's policy.

Superbowl also had an aging Madonna only a few years ago, so whatever floats your boat i guess, but i wouldn't want to be paying for it.

The real issue for me is the media press conferences, which leave the AFL for dead.

How many press conferences are held in the AFL when the media ask questions that are never heard other
than some garble in the background .
Rather than cam crap get this basic aspect of the game reported professionally.

As for entertainment the game is the entertainment.

Yay lets have blow up kangaroo's.
I seriously cringe at most opening/closing ceremonies.

One thing is the question of cost.
The Superbowl was in SanFrancisco
There is an amazing list of artists who could probably drive to the game from their house.
Its a bit different when you start talking about putting them on a plane to Australia to perform a short music set, remembering that there is more revenue for the Superbowl in the first place.

Its low priority for me too.
If someone told me the Grand Finals tickets were going to cost 50% extra because Beyonce was going to sing 2 songs. I wouldn't be happy.
( am i the only one who thinks that Beyonce is attractive but overrated, and her songs are repetitive and monotonous )?

Also maybe this is what Meatloaf should have done :
( From Wikipedia )
It was later revealed that the music was pre-recorded. Red Hot Chili Pepper's drummer, Chad Smith responded on Twitter by saying "FYI... Every band in the last 10 years at the Super Bowl has performed to a previously recorded track. It's the NFL's policy.

Superbowl also had an aging Madonna only a few years ago, so whatever floats your boat i guess, but i wouldn't want to be paying for it.
Well, you know what they say:
freddie_vs_beyonce.jpg

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If people want to hear music they should go to a rock concert.
To my mind the only music for Grand Final day is Mike Brady with "Up there Cazaly". Should be sung before the game. half time and three quarter time. Only footy song I know.
Give me nostalgic vt of grand finals past, or the clubs involved or highlights of the season, or celebrity fan cringeworthy encouragement. Project it onto the grass or somewhere budget allowing. I'll take that any day over unrelated music. Mike Brady gets a pass but give him a few competition winning fans to sing along with him as he disappears in the stadium when you watch on TV at least.

Wonder if their sense of humour is greater than the Essendon board, which I can not even access after finding a few happenings very funny. Go figure. Must be a bug in my profile....
Hi just checking out why LewDog came to our thread to get the latest on Freeman. Surely you must know and care more then we do?

In the Bombers defense, would you be laughing as their supporter?
And yes most of us have a sense of humor. Not sure if that is your kind though but each to their own.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Hi just checking out why LewDog came to our thread to get the latest on Freeman. Surely you must know and care more then we do?

In the Bombers defense, would you be laughing as their supporter?
And yes most of us have a sense of humor. Not sure if that is your kind though but each to their own.
Next time maybe try English

Next time maybe try English
What? Destroy the purposefully built image of the ignorant and illiterate Collingwood supporter? That last glimmer of self respect we let the opposition have so that they can still feel intellectually superior?
Now I am only a guest on this forum so you can have that laugh if that makes you happy.
Pies, love and happiness.

I must admit that in my weaker moments I have sympathy for the Essendon fans. The fans did nothing wrong. The club did! And an international court found that the players must be held accountable for what the club made them do. The fans have been let down by both the club and the players.

The Carlton fans suffered because of their club's cheating. St Kilda benefitted when Carlton's draft picks were taken from them and we drafted BJ.
Essendon have cheated several times and we benefitted from one. Stephen Milne would have been a Bomber if they had not been punished for an earlier salary cap cheat.

We have had a number of negative press events at the Saints, but never for cheating. I don't know how I'd feel if that happened.

Carlton's supporters either dismissed their cheating as a minor infringement which they were hugely over-punished for, or they simply failed to accept that they cheated at all. Many Essendon fans are doing the same thing. They are in total denial or they were caught doing something less onerous - just megavitamins or something - the fact that all the records went missing is just damn inconvenient (rather than inconveniently damning).

I think that is the point, if you are going to appeal to your audience at least work out what they like. Bryan Adams was s**t in 1987 why the **** would we want to see him again. If they went ironic and got hold of Aqua or something they might at least get laughs. Barnsey is not a really high appeal act and wouldn't work. Get someone better to choose the entertainment- pay an event company to do it. Even the NRL getting a reformed group like You am I at least is Aussie and they can rock the stadium. It would have cost about $10,000 tops compared to Meatloaf at $850 000 for an act no one liked in 1971 or when ever he was around.

Surely most of that $850K was to build a platform for him to stand on.
I wonder what Foo Fighters would cost.

Where did the nick name "the filth" come from? It's cringe worthy, let's not use it anymore.
Nah. Don't stop. We will give you a reason to use it again, don't you worry.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Amazing you post anything on the Collingwood board and your a troll and you just have rubbish thrown at you.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Where did the nick name "the filth" come from? It's cringe worthy, let's not use it anymore.
Why not?
It encapsulates the barbarian horde that the Collingwood mob of misfits, criminals, uneducated, unwashed and toothless neanderthals that a Collingwood supporter is.

I was at Vic park in 1993. Not only did they racially abuse Nicky that day, but they all cheered wildly when Harvey pulled a hamstring.
Appalling to cheer any injury let alone a champion of our club.
Did they baying Mob learn any basic human respect or manners in 17 years?

Well fast forward to 2010. We play the FILTH at Etihad, Roo tears his hammy off the bone and what do the filth do? They again cheer wildly.
The are a disgusting mob of lowlife Bogans and filth suits them beautifully.

They are FILTH

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
You sound so proud. Bet you were one cheering other clubs champions injuries

Yeah full of class when they post Freeman updates with Lol as the only comment if hes injures. Post like I hope he tears it off the bone.

You sound so proud. Bet you were one cheering other clubs champions injuries
Nah . Just that I am aware that we do attract supporters from all parts of society and that we get labeled by them by association. No club have only saints in their supporters base. Not even yours strange as it may sound. But by law of numbers, we have a lot more filth amongst our ranks than others so it becomes more noticeable.
And don't go near a bookie today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back