Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"When a studio, can't find a coherent storyline... when they've got a massive franchise, with completely unrealistic expectations for the sequel... they turn to... lots of meaningless flashes of fights, and characters looking around confused and not sure what they're waiting for... Just. Like. The. FANS..."
There's years and years of storyline to draw on.... oh you said coherent. Well I guess that rules out anything in alternate universes or timelines.

I doubt it. But would be a good idea if they did.
Would also make it interesting if our next Naming Sponsor was Sexyland ;)
I think they're missing a good opportunity. I'll be the guy in the car park selling bed linen tomorrow :thumbsu:

I doubt it. But would be a good idea if they did.
Would also make it interesting if our next Naming Sponsor was Sexyland ;)

I think they're missing a good opportunity. I'll be the guy in the car park selling bed linen tomorrow :thumbsu:

Selling bed linen from Linen House, or Sexyland?

The likelihood is that they deliberately finished editing the Hulkbuster for showing in the trailer, because they'd only have time for a minimal amount to be edited, given there's still another 4 months before release.

I think people will die, and it will be alienating Stark/Iron man from the rest, or at least a number of the team. Specifically Rhodes/Iron Patriot, and Thor. When Thor dies, Tony makes the clone (Ragnarok) from the Civil War Arc, establishing a different reason for the split in the team, and the starting point for Thor III, Ragnarok.

Otherwise, Ruffallo plays a really really good Banner/Hulk and apparently we get Black Panther too, so I'm pumped.

The likelihood is that they deliberately finished editing the Hulkbuster for showing in the trailer, because they'd only have time for a minimal amount to be edited, given there's still another 4 months before release.

I think people will die, and it will be alienating Stark/Iron man from the rest, or at least a number of the team. Specifically Rhodes/Iron Patriot, and Thor. When Thor dies, Tony makes the clone (Ragnarok) from the Civil War Arc, establishing a different reason for the split in the team, and the starting point for Thor III, Ragnarok.

Otherwise, Ruffallo plays a really really good Banner/Hulk and apparently we get Black Panther too, so I'm pumped.

that word coherent again.

I don't have Foxtel. Watched the Australia soccer match the other night after subjecting myself to a two hour media blackout. Not sure I can do it tonight. I once used a streaming website but it took me months to get the malware off. Not sure if it was the citrus flavoured one, but I note that they seem to be carrying all of the matches. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't have Foxtel. Watched the Australia soccer match the other night after subjecting myself to a two hour media blackout. Not sure I can do it tonight. I once used a streaming website but it took me months to get the malware off. Not sure if it was the citrus flavoured one, but I note that they seem to be carrying all of the matches. Anyone have any suggestions?
Linux is unaffected by malware. I don't know if that helps your problem, but I still thought I'd point it out.

GOOOOOOOOOO UBUNTU! (www.ubuntu.com)

Yeah I got a "freeze everything you have been busted by the FBI virus".

a) make sure that your pc has a seperate admin user account that you don't use for anything except fixing problems. You can still log in if your main account gets infected.
b) create a restore point before going onto dodgy sites.

login to admin site.
full scan with malwarebytes antimalware.
full scan with AVG free.
If there is anything you can't get rid of restore to the restore point after using dodgy sites.

My daughter's brand new Laptop, had a problem the other day, just wouldn't run anything properly. Finally I narrowed it down to a windows update, or a McAfee update.
Luckily I had been diligent in setting up restore points after all software installation and after restoring it worked fine.
( remains to be seen if the same updates will cause a future problem ).

Imagine if you bought a new car and it went in for servicing and they told you it had been updated, and now it only goes 60km/h and the radio wont work, "for security purposes ".

Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, adblock, a backup and some common sense gets you round 99% of Viruses and such.
Or, just use Linux. Just sayin'. :p

Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, adblock, a backup and some common sense gets you round 99% of Viruses and such.

Not a fan of MSE.
It works very unobtrusively but I had a couple of viruses get past it. I prefer AVG.
( Note: its probably because everyone who makes a virus makes sure it gets past MSE ).

I've trend micro personally,m no problem with it whatsoever though has started failing recently when updating definitions (as I don't shut down or restart unless forced), it is however a paid subscription.

That being said, I don't exactly bother with much of anything online, ABP and noscript as default when browsing and all information deleted once browser is closed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of MSE.
It works very unobtrusively but I had a couple of viruses get past it. I prefer AVG.
( Note: its probably because everyone who makes a virus makes sure it gets past MSE ).
Or, just use Linux. :)

(Note: it's probably because everyone who makes a virus, uses Linux to make it, because they don't like closed-sourcers).

Or, just use Linux. :)

(Note: it's probably because everyone who makes a virus, uses Linux to make it, because they don't like closed-sourcers).

The inherent way that Linux and Unix works prevents viruses from working.
Easiest way to use Linux is to use Android.

I've often thought about setting up a Linux box, and I have a couple spare right now.
Tell me how much time I would need to spend frigging around to do it.

The inherent way that Linux and Unix works prevents viruses from working.
Easiest way to use Linux is to use Android.

I've often thought about setting up a Linux box, and I have a couple spare right now.
Tell me how much time I would need to spend frigging around to do it.
If you want to just surf the web, do some office type stuff, then not much time at all.

Ubuntu, for example (which is a pretty safe and easy way to start), comes with Firefox and LibreOffice automatically installed. Actually, the best distribution of Linux for somebody coming from a Windows background is definitely MINT (http://www.linuxmint.com/), because they pretty much designed it to look exactly like Windows, anyway.

You can log in to Firefox (or Chrome, incidentally) and have all the bookmarks, history, etc, that you had on a previous machine, whater OS it was using. They also has Thunderbird, which is a good cross-platform email program as well. LibreOffice, in my view, is better than M$ Office, and I use it for all my stuff, including my PhD.

They both come with a Software Centre, essentially like the Play Store on Android, where you can get lots of other stuff. Just so you know, Chrome is called "Chromium" in Linux circles, but it's exactly the same. VLC is also available there, for videos, although codexes get a bit quirky with Linux - not insurmountable, but yeah, not as easy as on Windows or Mac. Flash can be a little dicky too, sometimes, but again, not impossible.

Overall, I've found that Linux wins, hands down, for stability, reliability, and customisability (although that's less true for Ubuntu - though that's still pretty good, and Mint is excellent for that). It increasingly is on par with other platforms in terms of many programs, including games via steam (games aren't a big thing for me, but if they are for you, yeah, steam etc work fine).

Where it falls down, is just sometimes there ARE things that don't work except on Windows. While there are ways around that, especially an emulator program called WINE, that's not always reliable. But, as I said, for most of what people do, such as browsing and word processing, that's not a concern, at all.

The other "problem" is that it can sometimes, for really high end issues, rely on using the terminal, which most people find very intimidating. However, I'd also add that, sometimes the terminal is just heaps more convenient: rather than "click on the start button, open control panel, click on the bleh icon, go to the blip menu, blah, blah, blah..." you get told, "open the terminal and type 'sudo kill the dolphin'". Much easier.

Which leads to the last point. Because Linux is open source, its entire philosophy is one of mutual support, by pretty nerdy people. Thus, there are tons of forums for any problems you may have, that will help you solve your problem very quickly and effectively: askubuntu.com would be a great example.

If you want to just surf the web, do some office type stuff, then not much time at all.

Ubuntu, for example (which is a pretty safe and easy way to start), comes with Firefox and LibreOffice automatically installed. Actually, the best distribution of Linux for somebody coming from a Windows background is definitely MINT (http://www.linuxmint.com/), because they pretty much designed it to look exactly like Windows, anyway.

You can log in to Firefox (or Chrome, incidentally) and have all the bookmarks, history, etc, that you had on a previous machine, whater OS it was using. They also has Thunderbird, which is a good cross-platform email program as well. LibreOffice, in my view, is better than M$ Office, and I use it for all my stuff, including my PhD.

They both come with a Software Centre, essentially like the Play Store on Android, where you can get lots of other stuff. Just so you know, Chrome is called "Chromium" in Linux circles, but it's exactly the same. VLC is also available there, for videos, although codexes get a bit quirky with Linux - not insurmountable, but yeah, not as easy as on Windows or Mac. Flash can be a little dicky too, sometimes, but again, not impossible.

Overall, I've found that Linux wins, hands down, for stability, reliability, and customisability (although that's less true for Ubuntu - though that's still pretty good, and Mint is excellent for that). It increasingly is on par with other platforms in terms of many programs, including games via steam (games aren't a big thing for me, but if they are for you, yeah, steam etc work fine).

Where it falls down, is just sometimes there ARE things that don't work except on Windows. While there are ways around that, especially an emulator program called WINE, that's not always reliable. But, as I said, for most of what people do, such as browsing and word processing, that's not a concern, at all.

The other "problem" is that it can sometimes, for really high end issues, rely on using the terminal, which most people find very intimidating. However, I'd also add that, sometimes the terminal is just heaps more convenient: rather than "click on the start button, open control panel, click on the bleh icon, go to the blip menu, blah, blah, blah..." you get told, "open the terminal and type 'sudo kill the dolphin'". Much easier.

Which leads to the last point. Because Linux is open source, its entire philosophy is one of mutual support, by pretty nerdy people. Thus, there are tons of forums for any problems you may have, that will help you solve your problem very quickly and effectively: askubuntu.com would be a great example.

Yeah I'm not too intimidated. I come from an era when I used to have my dos box booting to a different configuration depending on what I was going to use it for. In those days every game had to have a different setup.

Yeah I'm not too intimidated. I come from an era when I used to have my dos box booting to a different configuration depending on what I was going to use it for. In those days every game had to have a different setup.
Actually dude, Linux distribs come with a "try before you buy" feature (even though they're all free). When you make the install disk (or usb), you can choose to install, or you can choose to boot it from the disk, and just try it out, with no change to your hard disk, etc. Why not just do that and give it a try? :)

Actually dude, Linux distribs come with a "try before you buy" feature (even though they're all free). When you make the install disk (or usb), you can choose to install, or you can choose to boot it from the disk, and just try it out, with no change to your hard disk, etc. Why not just do that and give it a try? :)

Or as SaintLex said, much easier and fair more reliable to simply get a Mac.

Ah, the classic open-source vs closed-source antitheses - Linux vs Mac. ;)

Having said that, I have all the respect for Macs practically, even if philosophically their closed-source approach gives me the irrits. Fantastic support, and wonderful hardware design, combining functionality and aesthetics.

The big issue with them, is of course cost, whereas Linux is free (both in terms of "free choice" and often "free beer"), and works on cheaper/older machines far more effectively than M$ does. I also have some ethical concerns for Mac's approach to forced-obsolescence - something, again, that Linux works very hard to overcome through being able to work on older machines, thus prolonging their use. That's even more of a big deal for me, after coming back from Zambia recently.

In September's case, I think Linux is a good option, since he can use it on some older machines that he has lying around, thus prolonging their use. :)

The only reason Macs work well is that the programs are specifically written for one set of hardware,
There is so much I detest about Apple, the price not being the least.

I was just looking through the reviews of a local cafe on urban spoon and one of the reviewers was someone that goes by the name "Uncle Barrels". :eek:

Was the naked ravioli and eggs really that amazing Daddy_Barrels ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back