Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a soccer fan usually but I did find that a very entertaining game.
Not just cos we won. But because the pressure was pretty much relentless the whole match. Great effort by Sth Korea.
Problem for me is most soccer games I watch are made up of 80% of just passing the ball sideways in the back half which is a major snorefest.
Something wich is slowly creeping into AFL. Nowdays its not just Wayne Carey or Stewie Loewe taking the most marks. Its also some short arse loose playing half back flanker picking up easy kicks racking up the mark tally.
But I after tonights game I cant be negative about soccer. That was a fun game to watch IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great game of cricket today. Funnily enough I saw an Indian fan with a Saints bag. Saw none of any other club, probably why we won, but today backed up my post that if the Saints could recruit an athlete from any other sport, it'd be ABdV.

Love that they are doing that as it is so important to have a free and clear mind when you're playing sport, especially one like football, where it's so instinctive and you need to be able to react to situations in a split-second, or you'll get left behind. Those who's minds are the clearest will be able to react fastest, while those who are too busy thinking and second-guessing themselves will be left behind, wondering what just happened. It's why football in the NT is supposed to be so incredible to watch, because they are just playing so much more on instinct/intuition and are far less robotic and in the past many clubs wanted to coach that out of their playing lists and make them more like robots, but I love that they may be going the other way now.

You often hear the elite in some sports (including martial arts, like Bruce Lee) talk about how when they're playing their very best that they are "in the zone" and you only get there when your mind is clear and you're just playing/surfing, or whatever, and letting it flow. Good luck getting into the zone if you're too busy thinking!

I used to play a lot of golf through secondary school (after my knees kept going on me, ending my footy) and I used to be all about technique and all that and would overthink my swing and so-on - including while I was out on the course doing it- but then I discovered a book which taught me to clear/free my mind on the course and to leave all that on the practice range at a minimum and once I started to do that it made a hell of a difference to my game.

I would then apply it to other sports when I would play them, such as a friendly game of tennis, or table tennis and it made a noticeable difference to my performance in them as well, and I finally found out what it was like to be "in the zone", where you feel like you're not going to miss a shot. The more I focused on freeing my mind and just being in the moment and not thinking about what I was doing, the better I would play and the more fun it would be. I recommend it massively.

The thinking is for the meeting room and perhaps the training track, but when you step out onto the field it's time to play and trust your training.

What book was that? I wouldn't mind having a look (not a sportsperson)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1408448.Quantum_Golf

It's a fascinating book as it's not remotely like any other golf instruction book that I've seen or heard of, as it's told as a parable and some would read it and think it was just a far-fetched story, but if you do what the character in the story is told to do, then you can get outstanding results, which is what happened with me. I previously had golf lessons on a regular basis and was always changing and tinkering with my swing and so-on, but after that I never had another lesson.

Kjell Enhager, who wrote the book, ended up coaching Nick Faldo, someone who was well known for his frequent swing changes and probably overthinking the swing and so-on.

Last edited:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1408448.Quantum_Golf

It's a fascinating book as it's not remotely like any other golf instruction book that I've seen or heard of, as it's told as a parable and some would read it and think it was just a far-fetched story, but if you do what the character in the story is told to do, then you can get outstanding results, which is what happened with me.

Kjell Enhager, who wrote the book, ended up coaching Nick Faldo, someone who was well known for his frequent swing changes and probably overthinking the swing and so-on.

Isn't that the old train of thought when playing golf against someone & trying to beat them-

Start asking/posing them questions about their technique to 'bring it back into their head'?

Haha, probably is, haven't heard of that though, but I might use it myself down the track! Same could probably be applied when someone is batting on a cricket field as well and I imagine is, especially when someone like Shane Watson is batting and everyone knows he is vulnerable to the full straight ball early in his innings. They're probably getting in his ear from the moment he walks out there and that is exactly when you need to be clearing your mind and not thinking about it, the time for thinking about it is in the nets.

Isn't that the old train of thought when playing golf against someone & trying to beat them-

Start asking/posing them questions about their technique to 'bring it back into their head'?
"the ball has its own energy or life force, if you will. Its natural environment is in the hole. Why don’t you send him home? His bags are packed. He has his plane ticket. Bring him to the airport. Send him home."

"the ball has its own energy or life force, if you will. Its natural environment is in the hole. Why don’t you send him home? His bags are packed. He has his plane ticket. Bring him to the airport. Send him home."
image.jpg

"Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. Feel the flow, Happy. Feel it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back