Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Perhaps they copped a fair bit at Eden Park, and wanted to get some revenge? There's always two sides to the story. I'd imagine the Kiwis would've cut into Haddin while he tried to drag us out of a hole at Eden Park, and he would've copped it for the longest.
Revenge doesn't excuse send-offs, which I haven't seen the Kiwis perform, it's gloating and in my mind unacceptable. It's like shooting the basketball when up 20 with 2 seconds to go in the last quarter. Either way not really anything to get too upset over as what's done is done and wouldn't have stopped the Aussies from winning on Sunday.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
Revenge doesn't excuse send-offs, which I haven't seen the Kiwis perform, it's gloating and in my mind unacceptable. It's like shooting the basketball when up 20 with 2 seconds to go in the last quarter. Either way not really anything to get too upset over as what's done is done and wouldn't have stopped the Aussies from winning on Sunday.

1427685670440.jpg

CA1HYxoUYAAezMG.jpg:large

These 2 pictures are no different to each other. The Kiwi's sooking about the sledging from the Aussies???

Spare me, they're pretty good at sledging & giving send offs themselves, as you can see by the photos above. It may be a different time & place, but pictures dont lie

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
IMO send offs are weak & the domain of cowards. I've only ever given one bloke a serve as he walked off & that was purely in retaliation for him mouthing off at one of our young blokes while he was batting.

Giving send offs isn't sledging IMO. Sledging is just an attempt to get a batsman to feel uncomfortable & hopefully second guess their decision making. My sledging has always been about a bloke's technique or decision making...it's never been a personal attack.

What Haddin & Faulkner did the other day was unacceptable & a real shame as it took a lot of the attention away from a great achievement. I hope CA & Sutherland draw a line in the sand & implement a 'give a bloke a send off & you can F#$% off out of the team' policy.

1427685670440.jpg

These 2 pictures are no different to each other. The Kiwi's sooking about the sledging from the Aussies???

Spare me, they're pretty good at sledging & giving send offs themselves, as you can see by the photos above. It may be a different time & place, but pictures dont lie

Actually they are, in Gregs Piece Cummins is also giving a mouthful to the batsman, through his first motion of running in elated at a wicket towards Hads & faulkner whilstnot looking at teh batsman, and by the above where he's with Hads and Faulks in celebration.

Obviously this demonstrative action needs to be curtailed and as per Gregs suggestion he needs to not be elated, because that is a sin of the bastard player, and instead commisserate the fallen opponent by walking him all the way back top the shed stating how unlucky he was and how he feels pain and consoling the poor man.

That's only my real issue with it, Hads & Faulks were involved in the wicket but the journo decides to drag in Cummins for no reason other than he's in the picture in an Australian jumper? I mean, we the general public and journalists have NFI what was actually said between the people on the field, we can however make judgements when blokes are rubbished int he media for no good reason because the writer was lazy.

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
1427685670440.jpg

One picture is from years ago, while the other is one of dozens of examples of Australians sending off opponents this year alone. Completely different things.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
One picture is from years ago, while the other is one of dozens of examples of Australians sending off opponents this year alone. Completely different things.
My point remains though.... All teams sledge & give send offs at some point or another, you cant pick & choose to make it suit your argument

Aussies sledge & give send offs. Im not a fan of it, but to make out like the Aussies are the only ones that do it is just silly. The last 2 Ashes series in England, I can think of a number of times that loud mouth & 'best sledger in England' Jimmy Anderson gave it to our batsmen after a dismissal.

Like i said above, I'm not a fan & dont condone it, but the Aussies do get a raw deal in the media when it comes to this. Sure we may do it more than teams, but other teams still do it & do it often.

If we're condemning people who give send offs, come on down Dale Steyn.... He's the King of them!

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
I used to hate it when bowlers and fielders started sledging.

My response - back away when the bowler was almost at the point of bowling - at least 4 balls in a row - then keep doing it and complain to the umpire that the keeper or the slips were talking or the fielders were moving. At least it gave them something to whinge about.

My other favourite was smashing the crap out the ball when the bowler aimed a throw at the "stumps" when I was clearly in the crease. Now that used to fire them up - always guaranteed a few loose balls after that.

Sledgers = losers

I used to love the sledging when playing cricket. Not the personal attacks but the comments for fun, or those that were designed to create doubt. I remember a final, when myself and the wicket keeper were discussing the stance of one of the opposing teams opening batsman, his placement of his feet, the direction his toes were pointing, his position on the crease and on and one for a couple of overs. We had him glancing down, shuffling and within 3 overs out bowled. The bowler of course took the credit, but we knew the accolades belonged to us. :thumbsu:

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
Sledging is, or was, meant to be about putting some doubt in your opponents' mind.
In contact sports that's been around for decades if not more, one-upmanship on your opposite number. The Aussies and Windies did a great job of bringing that into cricket.

But over the years it's changed, into frankly just abuse. Calling someone a prick isn't sledging. Neither are threats. And a send off definitely isn't. Id bet those guys giving a send off in the cricket wouldn't be so brave to make similar comments after a try in a game of rugby, with still time in the game for physical retaliation...

Sledging in the traditional sense, part of almost any game. Sledging in the context of what it's become - led by the Aussies and South Africans but exacerbated by every nation over the last few years, is a disgrace. And I think the reason NZ are being praised is that they are taking a bit of a moral stance over it, and looking to move away from the modern version of it.

1st day of Sydney's racing championships postponed til Monday.... Seriously WTF?!

Melbourne gets a bad wrap for its weather, but I tell ya... The weather is always s**t in Shitney
At least it saved you from giving a donation to the TAB. ;)

Just a hypothetical:
Say the AFL bowed to pressure from Collingwood and offered us $10,000,000 to change either our black or white stripe.
a) Would you do it?
b) What colour would you change it to?
c) If you wouldn't do it, how much would it take?

Just a hypothetical:
Say the AFL bowed to pressure from Collingwood and offered us $10,000,000 to change either our black or white stripe.
a) Would you do it?

yes, Red Black Yellow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Discussion point. Is the use of knees when jumping for the ball something that should be looked at? I know people jumping for speccies, and ruckmen have used them since time began.

But they are lethal weapons. The injury to Rockliff was a shocker the other day (notwithstanding he was both my DT and SC Captain!). But every few weeks there is a bad injury, and there could be worse ones in the future. I reckon Varcoe should be looked at for that incident. He never marked the ball, and just drove his knees straight into Rocky.

We had someone hurt last season by someone jumping at him with knees. Can't now recall who that was. Just think it is a bad look for the game when other types of dangerous play are being outlawed. Head high contact etc.

What do people think? I think it constitutes reckless play.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
Just a hypothetical:
a) Would you do it?

Simple I'd take the money and change it to vertical stripes instead of horizontal

From top to bottom - red white and then black. White shorts home and red shorts away....

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
At least it saved you from giving a donation to the TAB. ;)
image.jpg

Bill Hill is donating to me!!!

I put this bet on back in February as Kermadec's first up run was a blinder & just hopes he'd make the Doncaster Mile field... He was named emergency, then there were scratchings... The rest is history! It was written in the stars!

Boom :cool::cool::cool:

View attachment 122013

Bill Hill is donating to me!!!

I put this bet on back in February as Kermadec's first up run was a blinder & just hopes he'd make the Doncaster Mile field... He was named emergency, then there were scratchings... The rest is history! It was written in the stars!

Boom :cool::cool::cool:
Get stuffed!! You and Lankan Rupee can go **** yourselves.

........as you can see I take betting losses very well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back