Random everything AFL question thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca81

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Maylands
AFL Club
West Coast
Thought we could have a place for those questions about footy that not everyone knows, and are hard to find out about.

I've got 2:
1) How many players can be on an AFL teams senior list each year?
2) The sirens before the start of each quarter - how many sirens sounds for time before the start of play? (if you know what i mean).

Thought we could have a place for those questions about footy that not everyone knows, and are hard to find out about.

I've got 2:
1) How many players can be on an AFL teams senior list each year?
2) The sirens before the start of each quarter - how many sirens sounds for time before the start of play? (if you know what i mean).
Could be wrong on both my answers here, but I believe:
1. 40
2. 2 (1 warning, 1 start of play)

When was the last club to actually change their song? Freo tried but it didn't get up.

I heard the Suns song again today and it was just plain awful, eventually they'll want to change it, probably before they make a GF

Why do you get four points for a win and two for a draw? Why isn't two points for a win and one for a draw?

As far as I can tell looking through history it's always been like that, in Victoria anyway not sure in other states. has puzzled me too.
Some as why is it six points for a goal?

When was the last club to actually change their song? Freo tried but it didn't get up.

I heard the Suns song again today and it was just plain awful, eventually they'll want to change it, probably before they make a GF
It did get changed to a shorter 'reworked' version that is weaker than the original imo. Surprisingly it was comfortably the least popular option on here.

What happened to Guy McKenna? Since getting sacked from the Suns, he hasn't been mentioned or seen. What happened?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do the following legends barrack for in the AFL?

Ron Barassi
Kevin Sheedy
Leigh Matthews

Don't tell me they are followers of "football"!

Barass is hard to say, maybe the only genuine one who doesn't exclusively feel drawn to one single club; having said that, I have seen him with a Dees scarf in the MCC before.

Sheedy would surely be the Bombers, even if he wouldn't admit it.

Matthews would be Hawthorn I'd say, I'm guessing his interest in Collingwood/Brisbane would have continued to drop off as players he coached retired/moved elsewhere.

Only speculating, of course. It's much more likely they are simply followers of football.

What about when the umpire holds the ball up on entering the ground? Why does this even happen?

That began in the 60s so that the TV broadcast could sync up the sound, much like the purpose of a movie clapperboard.
These days with digitisation and whatnot it's all just tradition, of course.

Brisbane Bears changed from "dare to beat the bear" to one which can't be found on the internet unfortunately (perhaps a Brisbane supporter could help us there?)

Before that was St Kilda who had this in the 1950's

Footscray also tinkered with theirs after adopting the Western Bulldogs as their trading name.

Who do the following legends barrack for in the AFL?

Ron Barassi
Kevin Sheedy
Leigh Matthews

Don't tell me they are followers of "football"!
Hmmm
Barassi the Dees
Sheedy the Bombers
Matthews...reading his book I'd hazard a guess Collingwood.... his time at Hawthorn was as hard work as it was success, Brisbane was an occupation that he enjoyed but he reflects on Collingwood with obvious fondness for the playing group and pride in his time there. Just my 2 cents

What about when the umpire holds the ball up on entering the ground? Why does this even happen?
Not sure but I thought it was done traditionally to signal to the time keepers, players, boundary & goal umpires and the crowd that the game is about to start...for the players to take their positions...

Hmmm
Barassi the Dees
Sheedy the Bombers
Matthews...reading his book I'd hazard a guess Collingwood.... his time at Hawthorn was as hard work as it was success, Brisbane was an occupation that he enjoyed but he reflects on Collingwood with obvious fondness for the playing group and pride in his time there. Just my 2 cents
There's no way he's collingwood. He may very well have a fondness more than anything for the side he coached there but I'd dare say that as long as Ed is involved at the Pies you won't see Matthews barracking for them

Why do players receive a push in the back free when no one even touched them?

The other thing... when an umpire gives a deliberate; how does the ump know what the player was thinking?

Have you noticed the shot clock continue to count down seconds after a goal is scored? Why does this happen? Shouldn't the clock stop as soon as the goal is scored?

Why do some players loose their hair in their early 20's?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back