News General gaming stuff, random news etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm waiting for it to go on Playstation Plus.
Good call. The sandbox is pretty fun until you get super overpowered and get bored of it, but the missions themselves just feel like they've lost the charm that SR3 had. I didn't go in expecting a serious game or anything but was pretty let down by it.

I love Saints Row (moreso than any GTA game). I was under the impression SR would finish after the fourth one. I hope I'm wrong!

And no more of this Steelport crap. TIme to go back to Stillwater

You're 10 years old right?;)

I love Saints Row (moreso than any GTA game). I was under the impression SR would finish after the fourth one. I hope I'm wrong!

And no more of this Steelport crap. TIme to go back to Stillwater

I think it's time for the PC to 'really' wake up from him coma from at the end of number 1. 2,3 and 4 were just a dream. Do it Volition.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/09/uncensored-left-4-dead-2-finally-gets-classified-in-australia/

The censoring of Left 4 Dead 2 was one of the more depressing parts of Australia’s struggle for an R18+ rating — a brilliant video game completely butchered and broken in order to make it through at MA15+. But we’ve just gotten word that on August 29, almost five years after the game’s initial release, the complete uncensored version of Left 4 Dead 2 finally made it through classification.

The rating, as you might expect, is R18+.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth given a release date, November 4th. Coming to PS4, Vita and Steam. I am super hyped for this! Not sure if I quite like the new graphical style, but if the gameplay remains the same, I am all in.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth given a release date, November 4th. Coming to PS4, Vita and Steam. I am super hyped for this! Not sure if I quite like the new graphical style, but if the gameplay remains the same, I am all in.

Might risk my sanity to get it on Vita.

Microsoft -- the parent company of the Xbox and Windows brands -- is apparently "in serious discussions" to purchase Mojang, according to The Wall Street Journal. Mojang, of course, is best-known for its massively popular Minecraft series.

WSJ cites "a person with knowledge of the matter" in their story, and says the valuation of Mojang could be more than $2 billion. Microsoft and Mojang both declined to comment to WSJ; we've reached out to Mojang for additional comment.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...-discussions-to-purchase-minecraft-dev-mojang

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Bloomberg, Notch approached Microsoft, not the other way around. Sounds like he wants out.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-09/microsoft-said-near-2-billion-deal-for-minecraft-maker.html

The deal came together after Mojang founder Markus Persson reached out to Microsoft a few months ago, based on a positive working relationship on Minecraft for Xbox, said the person familiar with Microsoft.

The two companies quickly agreed on a framework and approximate price and have been working out the details since, the person said. Persson will help out with the transition, though he is unlikely to remain beyond that, according to the person.

Doubt that and it wouldn't be the first time they take a game off a network, they probably allow minecraft servers stay open but selling the game is another story.

This is the article I read:

Minecraft was made available for the newest generation of consoles, Xbox One and PlayStation 4, earlier this month. Microsoft, if it completes the deal, will keep the game available for rival products, said two people familiar with the company’s plans.

The company thinks that this kind of product, like its Office productivity software, has to be available with high-quality versions for multiple platforms, including those of its rivals, the person with knowledge of Microsoft’s thinking said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-09/microsoft-said-near-2-billion-deal-for-minecraft-maker.html

Have to applaud Notch if he can get a 2 Billion dollar deal for a game that's available on everything, i too would take advantage of MS having more money than sense.

Someone on GAF made a good post regarding the deal

If Microsoft genuinely drops 2 billion on a studio that is already on their platform, already cash rich, and whatever, I'm not sure I can continue to support them. Its just... stupidity at that point. Stark raving money madness.

The sheer quantity of entire studios and games that could be made for that price. Essentially the entire ******* Bucket List of Dead Projects would be feasible with Shenmue 3, Psychonauts 2, Megaman Legends 3... anything you can think of, all in there. Top talent that you could squirrel away for 10 years to work on the next big thing. Oculus was 2 billion for *s sake. That makes sense, thats industry changing tech. Minecraft is one game that snowballed and went huge, an Angry Birds situation but with more of a complex core game concept.

Notch would presumably never tweet again because every single response would be calling him out as a huge hypocrite.

Just a ridiculous amount of money regardless of how deep MS pockets are.

Just doens't make sense to throw 4 times the budget of destiny to own a company whose only game thats worth anything is already on every device that can run it. They would be better of buying a company that's in the quality of Bungie for that kind of money. Pretty scary think they have that kind of money to splash around, I can feels many more third partys being bought out.

Confirmed purchase, $2.5 BILLION! Wish I could throw around that kind of money...holy sheetballs.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/15/microsoft-officially-buys-mojang-for-25-billion
Mojang has confirmed it's being sold to Microsoft for $2.5 billion.

The news was confirmed on the developer's official site, in which it also went into some of the reasons for the decision. As has previously been discussed, a large part of it centers on founder Notch growing tired of working for such a big organisation. He and the two other founders, Carl and Jakob are all leaving the company following the deal.

"Minecraft has grown from a simple game to a project of monumental significance. Though we’re massively proud of what Minecraft has become, it was never Notch’s intention for it to get this big," a statement reads. "As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He’s decided that he doesn’t want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he’s made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang. He’ll continue to do cool stuff though. Don’t worry about that.

"There are only a handful of potential buyers with the resources to grow Minecraft on a scale that it deserves. We’ve worked closely with Microsoft since 2012, and have been impressed by their continued dedication to our game and its development. We’re confident that Minecraft will continue to grow in an awesome way."

As had been reported, the PC, Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android editions will continue to be supported and developed as they currently are, despite the deal. While the blogpost promises things will continue to develop, it's unlikely to stop players from making videos, mods or anything else that makes Minecraft so special today. The post concludes by explaining its unclear where this leaves other projects, like Scrolls, but it seems Minecraft is Microsoft's main focus.

I thought 2 billion was big enough, but 2.5 billion.... Wow.
I know the article says PS4, etc. will continue to be supported, but how much compared to Microsoft systems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back