In The Backseat- Arcade Fire
Fluorescent Adolescent- Arctic Monkeys
Where's Your Head At- Basement Jaxx
Mr. Jones- Counting Crows
Banana Pancakes- Jack Johnson
Mistaken for Strangers- The National

:thumbsu:

I hope that is a good Bloody hell !!!!!

I love Tom T Hall. He is my dad's favourite singer and I rate him very highly for songwriting and singing.

Has a tendency towards hokiness at times, but at his best, he is awesome :thumbsu:

As for that particular song, Mama Bake a Pie (Daddy Kill a Chicken). It was told from the perspective of a soldier returning from Vietnam crippled.

It is best described here

http://www.avclub.com/articles/week-13-tom-t-hall-americas-storyteller,28955/

“Mama Bake a Pie (Daddy Kill A Chicken),” a bittersweet narrative that captures the powerful mixed emotions and pathos of a disabled veteran who has “forgotten everything but the pain” returning home to a world at once familiar and jarringly foreign.

Nah sorry mate not good.

I used to cop my step father playing him, Bobby Goldsboro, Roger Whitaker and Andy Stewart on Saturday mornings as a kid, and it killed me :(

Hello Again -The Cars
You've Got A Friend - Roberta Flack
Foggy Highway - Paul Kelly and the Stormwater Boys
Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down the Mountain) - INXS
Picking Up - Bailter Space
The Hunter - Danzig
Liberty Belle - Super Furry Animals
(Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister -The Stone Roses
Lipstick - Buzzcocks
To Live Is To Die - Metallica

I recently downloaded Pitchfork's 100 best albums of the 70's and of the 80's, been slowly working my way through it all (some great stuff, some pretentious wank, some drivel and some 'how did I not already know this !?' stuff) - so I will have another random shuffle and see how we go :

Bastards of Young - the Replacements : don't reckon I've ever heard this song before. It's sounds kinda like a slightly-less radio-friendly version of Cheap Trick. Won't be desperately searching through my stuff to dig this one up in a hurry ... actually, as it continues along it has wormed it's way into my ear slightly - but a bit too meat n' potatoes for me ... 5/10

Bathroom Skank - Lee "Scratch" Perry : pretty sure I mentioned the last time I posted in this thread that my Dad is an obsessive Lee "Scratch" Perry fan/collector .. consequently I have a lot of his better stuff too ... don't think I have heard this song before, it's not too bad, pretty standard Scratchy stuff; an average reggae/dub composition overlaid with absurdist lyrics/gimmicky effects 5/10

Everything put together falls apart - Paul Simon : only downloaded this recently as part of the 100 best albums of the 70's package I nicked from the net. I'd already started investigating this album and was pleasantly suprised by it - this song is quite subdued, Paul Simon's vocals are very soft and calm in their delivery. Hard to judge this particular track on one listen, it's very understated though 5/10

Peter the Painter - Ian Dury & the Blockheads : acquired a 2cd 'best of' Ian Dury earlier this year - veeeeery patchy imo, his best is wonderful, really witty and funny and funky. His worst is too-clever-by-arf and musically kitchy.
This isn't one of his best unfortunately. Christ, this shuffle is going poorly ! 3/10

Te Souviens tu - Manu Chao : this French-born man with Spanish roots has been a 'world music' fixture for 25+ years; a phenomenal live performer with a pretty big following in many countries - the album that this track is from is sung entirely in French and also has a certain Parisian charm to it; lots of accordians .. this song is ok, quirky 5/10

Have you Someone (in Heaven) - Stanley Brothers : these redneck-soundin' old boys from the American south are pretty damn cool - Ralph Stanley is still performing at the ripe old age of 84, his voice is amazing and his banjo-playing was once world-class (he has slowed a bit apparently in his twilight years). He is perhaps best known for appearing on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, but he and his brother have a long long history of making roots-y music (lots of odes to Jesus and stuff from what I have heard). This song is nice, lovely harmonies, quite understated and restrained 5/10

Sombre Reptiles - Brian Eno : been listening to this album 'Another Green World' a bit lately. This song isn't one of the standouts imo, but, as with everything on the album, it is interesting and wins bonus points with me for trying to do something different 5/10

Man Out of Time - Elvis Costello : I have recently downloaded most of Costello's back-catalogue, have only listened to bits and pieces, and nothing from this album so far ... this is pretty austere, nice melody, but I prefer his more vitriolic stuff 4/10

Diamonds and Gold - Tom Waits : from Rain Dogs, one of my very favourite albums. This song is quite low-key compared to some of the out-there stuff on Rain Dogs; a strange oddly Spanish sounding song. Lyrically it's typical awesomeness from Waits : "Small-time Napolean has shattered his knees/but he stays in the saddle for Rose - And all his disciples they shave in the gutter/and they gather what's left of his clothes" 5/10

Dread on the Mountain - Tapper Zukie : this album is amazing, what a trip. Released in 1973, it is pretty experimental, sounds like the first gasps of Dub music. Tapper Zukie is a very average vocalist, always outta key, but his vocals are absolutely smothered in delay and reverb (as is every element on this album) - this album (Man a Warrior) sounds like a bunch of people getting very stoned in the studio and saying to each other 'what does this button do ?' 6/10

not my finest shuffle :(

... one more crack (quiet day at work !)

1. Little Mathis Grove - Ralph Stanley : wow, haven't heard this particular track before. Ralph Stanley was 75 when this album was released and his voice is incredible, very distinct, the very spirit of the deep south. This is different to a lot of stuff I have heard from him, no banjo and a cool drone-y sound like bagpipes during the verses 5/10

2. Gotta Get Up - Harry Nilsson : from his pretty-big album 'Nilsson Schmilsson' (love that silly album title for some reason !), this track is as catchy and upbeat as you can get without being cloying. Very bouncy number; horns, pianos, lots going on. Fun song, the hook on the verses gets me onside straight away 7/10

3. Soul Survivor - Rolling Stones : from Exile on Main St. ... it's the Stones innit, you know what to expect. This has a bit more country-twang and slide-y guitar work than their standard fare, but it's not any big depature 4/10

4. Right Off - Miles Davis : Christ, a 26-minute track from Miles, haven't heard it before either, am I up for the challenge ? Ah why not ....
has some heavy-ish guitar and the jazz-y drumming is a bit more insistent than the usual style. I really have to be in the right mood to get into something like this ... kinda meandering and show-offy and noodle-y (that's kinda what Jazz is to me ... I like some of Miles stuff, but overall it's a tad indulgent for my tastes) ... f*ckit I'm fast-forwarding, haven't got all day ! 4/10

5. Ghetto on Fyah - Jacob Miller/King Tubby : King Tubby's dub version of a Jacob Miller song (Miller's vocals have been subtracted from this mix) - King Tubby really had an amazing command of his desk, the guy was very very clever and virtually came up with the concept of the 'remix', as heard on this very track. Classy dub, I could listen to King Tubby all day 5/10

6. Santa's Beard - They Might Be Giants : haha this song is pretty funny, as is TMBG's M.O. - this is cute, the kind of pop you could play pre-teens knowing they wouldn't have their appreciation of the finer things ruined 5/10

7. Three - Massive Attack - this song is magic. Massive Attack have sadly (inevitably) gone downhill a little bit, but on this album they are firing on all cylinders. This song is great, the female vocalist has a very distinct voice and the music is kind of dubby and electronic and tasteful without being boring 8/10

8. G.I.L. - Boredoms : my God what is this ? A : It's the worst song I have ever heard. Well, today anyway. It is making my ears cry. 1/10

9. Plainsong - the Cure : havent listened to the Cure for years, was a bit of a fan in the 80's. This song is epic-sounding, sweeping, almost bombastic. And a bit boring. 3/10

10. Emotional Weather Report - Tom Waits : always been a Tom Waits fan, but only just acquired 'Nighthawks at the Diner' fairly recently, and it is one of my fave albums of his. This song is typical of the album, the jazzy house-band feel layered with Waits' rambling beat-poetry - I listened to nothing but this album for about a week recently, yet when this song came on my shuffle it was like seeing an old friend 7/10

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ G.I.L

Boredoms are an acquired taste let me tell you, and you definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to Soul Discharge lol. You might find Super Ae more accessible.

The Fountainhead - The Bluetones
Cocaine - JJ Cale
Rat In the Wall - Capital F
Makin' Bacon - The Pork Dukes
All Kindsa Girls - The Real Kids
Nevers - The Fiery Furnaces
Devotion - Earth Wind and Fire
Riders On the Storm - The Doors
Stop Stop Stop - The Hollies
Escalator - Headless Chickens

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ G.I.L

Boredoms are an acquired taste let me tell you, and you definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to Soul Discharge lol. You might find Super Ae more accessible.
The Fountainhead - The Bluetones
Cocaine - JJ Cale
Rat In the Wall - Capital F
Makin' Bacon - The Pork Dukes
All Kindsa Girls - The Real Kids
Nevers - The Fiery Furnaces
Devotion - Earth Wind and Fire
Riders On the Storm - The Doors
Stop Stop Stop - The Hollies
Escalator - Headless Chickens

ha - I might give the album a go one day when I am feeling brave enough
;)

one more shuffle to celebrate the end of another working week. as I may have mentioned in an earlier post, I have recently acquired a heap of albums, most of which I havent had time to properly listen to yet - this means the random playlist game is often a revelation to me, as approx one third of the stuff on my ipod I'm not even familiar with :

1. Soumbou Ya Ya - Ali ****a Toure and Toumani Diabate : from their Grammy-winning (not that Grammy's mean much in my eyes) album 'In the Heart of the Moon' .. this, and everything on this album, is really lovely. Ali ****a Toure's (who sadly died in 2006) solo stuff is awesome; blues-y and exciting. This collaborative album is much more mellow; I could understand if some people found it a bit dull even - but I find it incredibly relaxing. Toumani Diabate, whom I'd never heard of prior to this album, is an amazing musician, his instrument is the Kora, which he kinda plays like a mini-Harp. He's so good that the super-talented Ali ****a Toure tends to play a supporting role on this album. The duo released another album together as a gravely ill Ali ****a Toure approached death .. 6/10

2. Tiny Broken Heart - Dan Tyminski : probably best known for performing a kick-arse version of 'Man of Constant Sorrow' on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack (to which George Clooney lip-synched in the movie). I grabbed the album of my old man when he was in Melbourne earlier this year - some of the stuff is awesome, the musicianship is top-notch and they are ultra-tight players. This track however, kinda sucks 2/10

3. Stay Hungry - Talking Heads : awesome, one of my favourite tracks from one of my favourite bands. Not sure what to say about this track; the song hits its chorus only once, then slinks into an extended, almost dub-y, outro vamp. Brian Eno produced this album, and perhaps his greatest contribution to the album can be heard during this extended outro - he slavishes delay on the various instruments in a really clever way ... David Byrne's lyrics are typically obtuse (whoops, theres a few days in the Hole for me) 9/10

4. Minutemen - Political Song for Michael Jackson to Sing : never heard this song before; there's clearly something going on lyrically, unfortunately the music is so off-putting to my ears that I doubt I will ever decipher the songwriters intent. Oh well ... at least the track only goes for 2 minutes - stuff like this sounds like a precursor to the crappy American pop-punk so prevalent in the last decade. 2/10

5. On a Foggy Night - Tom Waits : something from this album came up on one of my last shuffles. Already spoke about how much I have recently enjoyed Nighthawks at the Diner. This is probably one of the lesser songs on the album to my ears if I'm to be honest, but still cool and very listenable. The double-bass throughout this album is brilliant. 6/10

6. Mind - Talking Heads : this is a live version from the very cool double-live-album The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads. Unlike most of the album though, I probably prefer the studio version of this song. 4/10

7. Get off my Cloud - the Rolling Stones : "HEY ! - YOU !" everyone knows this, nothing needs to be said. 7/10

8. Wurlitzer Jukebox - Young Marble Giants : I have no idea what this is, listening for the first time. Female singer. Busy bass. I want a Wurlitzer, they're awesome ! This song is kind of meandering ... actually, no, it's finding it's feet. Not bad, a bit twee, but I will investigate this album further at a later date. (song doesn't feature any Wurlitzer as far as I can tell !) 4/10

9. the Last Emperor Theme - David Byrne & Ryuichi Sakamoto : I've never seen the movie, and this is the only song I own from the soundtrack. But it's really lovely, peaceful and dreamy and beautifully arranged. David Byrne and Ryuichi Sakamoto won an Oscar for this soundtrack, I should see the film ... 7/10

10. Rabbit Foot Blues - Blind Lemon Jefferson : ha, this recording is smothered in scratchy white noise, not suprising considering it was recorded in the 1920's ! How can you judge something like this : it's f*cking great, pioneering stuff. If we're talkin' blind African-American bluesmen though, nothing, nothing is better than Blind Willie Johnson, that dude is incredible. Still, this is great too ... 7/10

Tsunami - Manic Street Preachers
The Cockroach - Kim Salmon & The Surrealists
Shame - PJ Harvey
Be My Head - The Flaming Lips
Hope Leaves - Opeth
Frownland - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
Symptom Of The Universe - Sepultura
Murder One - Hermano
Capital (It Fails Us Now) - Gang Of Four
Church Of Al Green - Wicked Beat Sound System

The Police - So Lonely
KD Lang - Pulling Back the Reins
Conrad - Show
Ben Folds - The Luckiest
Antony & the Johnsons - Blue Angel
Muse - Bliss
U2 - Elevation
Air - You Make It Easy
Frank Sinatra - I Get A Kick Out of You
The Rolling Stones - Bitch

This whole world - The Beach Boys
I'll sleep when i'm dead -Warren Zevon
Behind the Fool - Del Amitri
Back to the wall -Steve Earle
Glass Onion - The Beatles
Tom Petty - Two gunslingers
Cold Comfort Flowers - Fountains of Wayne
Ain't that enough - Teenage Fanclub
Liar - Sex Pistols
Sick of myself - Matthew Sweet

Neil young..helpless
Stones..sway
Killers..mr bright side
Rickie lee jones..we belong together
Hold steady..the smidge
Richard Clapton..deep water
Drive by truckers..ghost to most
Tony Joe white..steamy windows
Bob Dylan..desolation row
Ronnie Wood..I can feel the fire
Clash..police on my back
Adele..rolling in the deep
Cold chisel..conversations
Bob segar..Rosalie
Led Zeppelin..living loving maid
Elvis Costello..I don't want to go to Chelsea
Pete Townsend..let my love open the door
Pearl jam..even flow
Guns and roses..nightrain
Joe Walsh..life's been good
Dyvinals..siren

Ur in a morbid prick of a mood. :mad:

Xavier Rudd - Green Spandex
Eva Cassidy - Fields of Gold
Luther Vandross - Dance with my Father
Betterman - Warren Brothers
Jeff Buckley - Last Kiss Goodbye
Braveheart - Instrumental
Angels - Robbie Williams

His Hero Is Gone - Epidemic
John Zorn - Litany II
Slug Guts - Hangin' In The Pisser
Throbbing Gristle - Still Walking
Melvins - Hooch
Scratch Acid - Mary Had A Little Drug Problem
Void - Dehumanised
Poison Idea - Pure Hate
Boris - Tokyo Wonderland
Cows - Woman Inside
Boss Hog - Gerard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Bowie - Rock 'N Roll Suicide
Eric Clapton - Crossroads
Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien
The Saboteurs - Hold Up
The Beatles - Mean Mr. Mustard
Eli 'Paperboy' Reed & the True Loves - The Satisfier
Hot Hot Heat - Oh God Dammit
Ben Folds - Bitches Ain't s**t
Meatloaf - I Will Do Anything for Love
Elliott Smith - Son of Sam

Billy Two - The Clean
Plug Me In - George Harrison
No Self Control - Peter Gabriel
I Can't Go For That - Hall and Oates
English Civil War - The Clash
All Apologies - Nirvana
Get Out Of My House - Hard Ons
Pride Assassins - Napalm Death
Deanna - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Eye Confide - Downthesun

Cheapskates - The Clash
The Ghosts of Saturday Night (After hours at Napoleone's Pizza House) - Tom Waits
So What - The Cure
I, The Witchfinder - Electric Wizard
Rise or Fall - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Last Nacht - The Fall
Flutes of Chi - Ween
Kingston Advice - The Clash
Honey Bucket - The Melvins
Oh My Dear (Falling In Love) - Ween

Speak your mind - Butterfingers
Shutterbug - 360
Melbourne city - Bias B
Franco UnAmerican - NOFX
Freestyle Cypher - Mos Def/Eminem/Black Thought
All the things she said - T.A.T.U.
How did I end up here - Bias B
Faith - Parov Stelar
5 minutes - WALE
Marijuano Locos - Cypress Hill

Late night at work playlist:

Unsane - Body Bomb
Gauze - Low Charge
Borbetomagus - Snuff Jazz
Superchunk - Hyper Enough
Dicks - Hate The Police
Lubricated Goat - Nerve Quake
Royal Trux - The Flag
Wire - Mr Suit
Thought Criminals - Edge Of Time
Razar - Stamp Out Disco

Digging a Grave - Faith no More
Quantum Theory - Jarvis Cocker
Your Protector - Fleet Foxes
I Feel Wrong (Homosexuality pt 1) - Glasvegas
It Ain't Line That (demo) - Pearl Jam
Billie Jean - Chris Cornell
If You're Wondering if I Want you To (I want you too) - Weezer
She'll never be your Man - Chris Cornell
I'm Above - Mad Season
Born of a Broken Man - Rage Against the Machine

Smog - I Break Horses
UGK - She Love It
R Kelly - I Surrender
6th Borough Project - 7 Grams of Funk
Busta Rhymes - Welcome to Jamrock...Welcome to New York (remix)
Ooga Boogas - Rich 'n' Me
Pharoahe Monch - Hold On
DJ Screw - TKO
Guided by Voices - Smothered In Hugs
Max Richter - Landscape With Figure (1922)

The Meaning - Supertramp
Baby Please Don't Go -Thin Lizzy
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy - Rod Stewart
Don't Wanna Be The One - Midnight Oil
Knife Edge - ELP
Bernadette - Four Tops
Óró Sé Do Bheatha 'bhaile - Sinead O'Connor
Tell Me Why - Kevin Borich
Vanities - Mary Black
Let It Be - Nick Cave

2003 favourites

Mr. Bungle - Quote Unquote
Venetian Snares - Stairs Song
Faith No More - Midlife Crisis
Mudvayne - -1
Nine Inch Nails - Into The Void
BabyBird - Bad Old Man
Attrition - Metamorphosis
Superfluid - Zentraedi Threat
Fear Factory - Pisschrist
Type O Negative - Love You To Death
Scorn - Silver Rain Fell (Deep Water Mix)
The Orb - Toxygene
Alpinestars - Burning Up
Faithless - Crazy English Summer
Orbital - Illuminate
Radiohead - My Iron Lung
Scorn - Beat 4
Morbid Angel - Hatework

Let England Shake - PJ Harvey
Passive Aggressive - Lumpsucker
Lost Someone - Cat Power
From Despair To Where - Manic Street Preachers
Gargantuan March - Fu Manchu