Random talk thread: real good talking about random stuff n that

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else love 'The Running Man' movie. The ridiculous prison escape scene at the start is all kinds of awesome.
As awesome as this guy running around in his y fronts?
8%20dynamo-thumb-330x247-65184.jpg

Anyone read the original book by Stephen King? It's a totally different story altogether.

Comes as part of a four piece anthology - The Bachman Books - and if you ever come across it I highly recommend the first story - The Long Walk. It's a futuristic competition where you walk until you literally can't anymore, at which point a government soldier puts a bullet in your head until there's only one competitor left. Brilliant story.

He ghost wrote it didn't he? Under a different name?

Yeah he wrote it under the name Richard Bachman, hence the title of the anthology. Wrote quite a few books under that name I think.

You know you're doing well as an author when you have the luxury of not needing to cash in on the famous name you've built for yourself.

Anyone read the original book by Stephen King? It's a totally different story altogether.

Comes as part of a four piece anthology - The Bachman Books - and if you ever come across it I highly recommend the first story - The Long Walk. It's a futuristic competition where you walk until you literally can't anymore, at which point a government soldier puts a bullet in your head until there's only one competitor left. Brilliant story.
I asked my brother about getting them off him about 5 times but have since now found out he has given all his King books to a 2nd hand book shop.

King is a bit of a weird writer, in some ways his books are brilliant but also have some waffle and rubbish mixed in them as well.

King is a bit of a weird writer, in some ways his books are brilliant but also have some waffle and rubbish mixed in them as well.

Yeah that's part of his charm, probably aided by the fact he was off his face on anything he could get his hands on in his early days.

Since he's gotten clean I've found his books to be less bloated, but also lacking a little something in comparison to the earlier stuff.

Yeah that's part of his charm, probably aided by the fact he was off his face on anything he could get his hands on in his early days.

Since he's gotten clean I've found his books to be less bloated, but also lacking a little something in comparison to the earlier stuff.
Actually I shouldn't really criticise him too much, at least his books are entertaining and he gets some stuff spot on. I think what put me off off reading fictional novels is a lot of the the stuff I was forced to read in school and write essays dissecting. Many may be 'technically' correct but they were so often boring rubbish stories, bloody hell if I had to read Winton's Cloudstreet again I reckon I would almost hang myself.

Haha yeah I remember being bored to tears by Cloudstreet in high school too.

I started reading King books when I was pretty young (one of my teachers was even a little concerned and had a word to my Mum just to double check that she knew what Stephen King books were actually about) so then when I got to high school and had to read stuff like Winton I was like: WTF is this boring s**t? 400 pages and nothing even happens...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to live one street over from Tim in Freo... not that I would know what he looked like if I tripped over him.

He's a relatively good mate of mine. Fantastic bloke and brilliant author. However, I can see how his stuff would not be for HS students. He does write stuff for teenagers though, and my 13 yr old adores them.

I also know kids who have read Cloudstreet at Highschool and have been captivated by it.
There ain't no accounting for taste folks.
Like him or not there's little doubt he's serious wordsmith and amongst Australia's best ever.

I was at a birthday dinner last year and found myself sitting next to an author whose book has just been included in the syllabus for some schools.

His take on it was "Great, now a whole generation of kids are going to grow up to hate me."

Yeah I've read that book.

There was a story in there Called The Mist or the Fog or some s**t which was interesting too.
Edit: It was actually in Skeleton Crew not the Bachman books
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist

Last edited:
My wife is currently involved in an in depth discussion on facebook with friends who had the vehicle they have owned for 8 years repossessed without notice because the previous owner still owed money on it. :eek:

Anybody familiar with SA commercial law? The REVS check 8 years ago gave a clear bill of health.

My wife is currently involved in an in depth discussion on facebook with friends who had the vehicle they have owned for 8 years repossessed without notice because the previous owner still owed money on it. :eek:

Anybody familiar with SA commercial law? The REVS check 8 years ago gave a clear bill of health.

Do they still have the REVS check?

8 years * me. That's statute of limitations territory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back