Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
The argument is there that it's not really a GWS GIANTS guernsey...

So what was that white jumper with a red V that the Freo Dockers have worn in a heritage round?

We're more closely linked with the Team GWS jumper than the Dockers were/are with the jumpers they've worn in heritage rounds. After all, they at least we're the precursor to our club. A team formed called GWS to start the ball rolling to get into the AFL. That it took some time after the likes of Jacob Townsend donned the jumper for us to announce Orange & Charcoal and the nickname of Giants doesn't diminish our connection to this jumper at all.

We might not have much at this point, but this jumper is definitely part of our "heritage".

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-23/your-clubs-best-supporting-actor

AFL.com article on each club's best supporting players. I'll leave coniglio_number1 to post about GWS's player, but interested in people's thoughts about two others ... Port's Jack Hombsch and Richmond's Anthony Miles. Both ex-GWS, and both (effectively) not wanted by GWS. Did our list management team miss something with these two, or does it not really matter given our other talent?

FWIW, I thought Jack was a bit hard done by when - as I understand it - after the first season he was told he didn't feature in GWS's long term plans as GWS had too many similar players. Interestingly, in the 2012 draft we picked (effectively as a replacement) Lachie Plowman, who to me was pretty similar in size and playing position (& even style?). And now we've traded Lachie too. Another interesting thought is that Jack's stats at Port are actually slightly less in the two years he played full seasons for Port than in the 9 games he played for GWS. I'm not crying rivers of tears, but it just seems to me GWS has not managed to get exactly what they're looking for in the backs. I'd also say that we absolutely screwed up the trade. We traded Jack and Jake Neade (via our concessional access) to Port for pick #28, then gave #28 and Jed Anderson (another concessional access) for Stephen Gilham, who played a fairly unimpressive 15 games over two seasons. So 3 pretty handy players for, unfortunately, a failure. A clear failure of the talent/list management team for mine.

Anthony Miles case has some similarities but also some differences to me. I think he was (similarly) unfortunate in being one of a stack of talented young (in his case, midfield) players that GWS was trying to juggle but didn't do enough to cement a spot. The difference is that he'd probably agree that he perhaps didn't do as much as he needed to. Got his chance at resurrection with Richmond, has put a lot of work in, and deserves the accolades he's now getting there. Given the talented midfielders that GWS is still juggling, I can't call cutting him a mistake, and given the lack of interest at the time, we didn't actually 'miss out' on any trade value - he just didn't have any. (Having said that, he's very effective at clearances, which GWS still struggles with, so wish we still had him!) So, to me, it's a case of good luck on pulling himself up into being an effective AFL player.

PORT-sb-AFLM.jpg

Jack Hombsch: Although his performances have started to garner him the sort of praise he deserves, Jack Hombsch would still rank as underrated by the wider football community. He easily led the Power for one-percenters last season (averaging seven a game) and was ranked fourth in the AFL for total one-percenters. Port has young Tom Clurey in development but is vulnerable when a big key defender goes down with injury. That includes Hombsch. The 22-year-old's consistency saw him finish third in the club's best and fairest last year and since cementing his place in the side in 2014 has proven himself one of the most important players at Alberton. - Harry Thring

RICH-sb-AFLM.jpg

Anthony Miles: While Trent Cotchin draws the tags and Dustin Martin attracts the headlines, it is Miles who gets on with helping the Tigers win clearances. He has ranked No.1 at the club for the past two seasons for total clearances and, when he attends a centre bounce, the Tigers win the clearance 49 per cent of the time (No.1 of all permanent midfielders at the club). Further highlighting his value, when Miles wins first possession at a stoppage it converts into an effective clearance 74 per cent of the time. A hard nut who plays a great support role to Cotchin, Deledio and Martin, he averages four effective tackles a game and did not miss a match in 2015. - Nathan Schmook

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
GWS-sb-AFLM.jpg

Stephen Coniglio: The No.2 pick from the 2011 draft is the leader of coach Leon Cameron's 'team defence' philosophy as the Giants' No.1 stopper, but also has the ability to win plenty of his own ball. As an example of his value to GWS, Coniglio kept Melbourne captain Nathan Jones to just 11 touches and picked up 26 of his own in round two when the Giants won by 45 points in Canberra. With the West Australian absent due to injury in round 23, Jones gathered 36 disposals to help the Demons to an upset 26-point victory. – Adam Curley

Completely agree that Coniglio is absolutely pivotal to our future success. He plays a unique brand of dynamic attack and shutdown. I see him as our obvious Treloar replacement

Ben Johnson

Senior List
Jan 22, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
GWS-sb-AFLM.jpg

Stephen Coniglio: The No.2 pick from the 2011 draft is the leader of coach Leon Cameron's 'team defence' philosophy as the Giants' No.1 stopper, but also has the ability to win plenty of his own ball. As an example of his value to GWS, Coniglio kept Melbourne captain Nathan Jones to just 11 touches and picked up 26 of his own in round two when the Giants won by 45 points in Canberra. With the West Australian absent due to injury in round 23, Jones gathered 36 disposals to help the Demons to an upset 26-point victory. – Adam Curley

Completely agree that Coniglio is absolutely pivotal to our future success. He plays a unique brand of dynamic attack and shutdown. I see him as our obvious Treloar replacement
Hopper is our Treloar replacement. Cogs is his own man.

Ben Johnson

Senior List
Jan 22, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I don't expect hopper to get regular games at this stage. Steele, Barrett and Ahern are all ahead of him for inside mid spots
I reckon Hopper starts round 1, holds his spot all year, and wins the Rising Star in an absolute canter.

I'm very, very excited by his potential & attitude.

peters17

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon Bombers, Gold Coast Suns
Look at Cam's Instagram he looks like a thug now

Ben Johnson

Senior List
Jan 22, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I just assumed that he (or she) was off spending the holiday period in Fremantle, given his (or her) glowing comments of the place made on these pages.

But yes, no doubt just a coincidence.
Wherever he or she may be I hope they are happy.

Anyway...My name's Ben.

Nice to meet you. I'm new here. Who's your favourite player?

Back