Random thoughts not worthy of a thread (Part I)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure what he said, so can't comment on the "white guilt" opinion, but like most, if not all, Indigenous peoples around the world, our Indigenous people are, in fact, the biggest victims when it comes to most socio-economic indicators. And, by "victim" I don't mean "poor me". I mean actual victims of historical and, hopefully diminishing, current discrimination.

For those who don't get the historical argument, you can probably draw some analogies with NMFC and the equalisation funding. Some of that relates to levelling up the current playing field (fixture, stadium deal) but some also relates to the historical handicap we faced with our initial zoning etc. and the flow on effects with who we could recruit, the limits this placed on our success, and therefore our low historical fan-base. Those who say "sort yourselves out, there is no reason you can't be as successful as Carlton (or whoever)..." don't truly understand there are real historical consequences that will take decades to eliminate, if they ever can be.

Similar to Indigenous people who, thanks to terra nullius, had their land taken, their humanity disregarded and their culture subsumed, all contributing significantly to major historical handicap that echoes strongly today.

The fact there's a debate shows he "won" on that score imo. Bit like the media thinking we need a 'balanced view' on climate change when 98% of peer-reviewed science agrees global warming is anthropogenic.
That pretty much nails it. I would only add that many people don't seem to realise how recent those historical factors are. People who want the indigenous people to "get over it" and "become part of this society" fail to realise they were excluded from the society and treated as second class citizens (even fauna!) in very recent times. Most of that discrimination has been removed in a legislative sense since the 1970s, but it will be many generations before the flow on effects will diminish meaningfully.

I started watching it a couple of months ago, got up to about episode 6 and then stopped because I had too much study to do. The problem is that I completely forgot what was happening and will have to start it again. Is it worth it? I remember liking what I had watched up until episode 6.

Absolutely.

I'm not sure what he said, so can't comment on the "white guilt" opinion, but like most, if not all, Indigenous peoples around the world, our Indigenous people are, in fact, the biggest victims when it comes to most socio-economic indicators. And, by "victim" I don't mean "poor me". I mean actual victims of historical and, hopefully diminishing, current discrimination.

There was a part of the interview Goodes indicated current aboriginals using violence, drinking and drug taking as a "coping mechanism" to "constant racism" and this was prefaced by some statement along the lines of them being angry probably not "choosing" what they are doing.

Another part was dedicated to the 13 year old girl and having "consequences" for your actions.

And a statement where he had not experienced or witnessed racism on the field for over 10 years prior to the 13 year old girl incident.

Certainly has some valid points but hardly educational or consistent.

When you're done with True Detective get on HBO's "The Leftovers". 10/10 s**t right there.

Have been having a gander at The Leftovers. Weird as all get out, but it is pretty damn good!

Good choice Unit.

Best thing about it, is it just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

5eps deep and you're completely hooked, I can't wait for season 2.

Not heard at all of that one. Is it a tv series?

Hey chugginon, it's a tv series with 10 episodes in season 1. They've apparently been re-signed for a second season.

It takes a bit of a leap of imagination as the plot centres around the simultaneous disappearance of a significant proportion of the population (approx 140 million people from memory) and the fallout of those left behind.

Not as good as True Detective in my view, but still quite good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a part of the interview Goodes indicated current aboriginals using violence, drinking and drug taking as a "coping mechanism" to "constant racism" and this was prefaced by some statement along the lines of them being angry probably not "choosing" what they are doing.
A lot of this is, sadly, accurate AND, as always, we can't generalise.

The Leftovers is fantastic. Completely crazy and confusing but also though-provoking, compelling and imaginative. I'm really looking forward to season 2.

Baby Abigail Egga says thanks for all the kind words and good wishes on her birth. She asked me to post this to say thanks.
IMG_0350s.jpg

Baby Abigail Egga says thanks for all the kind words and good wishes on her birth. She asked me to post this to say thanks.
View attachment 92670
Please quote her membership number or it didn't happen.

Congratulations to you guys - wishing her a long, happy and healthy life.

Just a heads up that SEN is replaying a "classic quarter" after 3pm today. It is the glorious last quarter from this match:

2014 Elimination final: North Melbourne v *Essendon drug cheats.

Just a heads up that SEN is replaying a "classic quarter" after 3pm today. It is the glorious last quarter from this match:

2014 Elimination final: North Melbourne v *Essendon drug cheats.
Pity it's not televised. I love the sweet sight of Essendon supporter sadness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back