Random thoughts not worthy of a thread (Part I)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what the AFL will do regarding Phil Walsh and scheduling. (if anything)

Been chatting here with others. Out of respect I have no issue with games including ours being cancelled, on the other hand is a view the game is bigger than individuals and must go on.

Tough one.

Cancellation of the entire round would require Sydney voiding their win last night & handing back four points. Seems to be the only stumbling block between the cancellation of all games.

Good point I didn't think of that.

Part of me says out of respect don't play, the other says the show must go on. I honestly don't know what I would choose at the moment, probably leaning to keep on going.

Good point I didn't think of that.

Part of me says out of respect don't play, the other says the show must go on. I honestly don't know what I would choose at the moment, probably leaning to keep on going.

The decision has to ultimately lie with the players. If AFC/GFC don't want to play, don't play. Split the points, postpone the game, do whatever. But it has to be the decision of the players.

Cancellation of the rest of the round hinges on Sydney. A fair outcome fixture-wise, to ensure everyone plays the same amount of games, would be to void the result of last night. But Sydney won, fair and square, before this was ever an issue.

The decision has to ultimately lie with the players. If AFC/GFC don't want to play, don't play. Split the points, postpone the game, do whatever. But it has to be the decision of the players.

Cancellation of the rest of the round hinges on Sydney. A fair outcome fixture-wise, to ensure everyone plays the same amount of games, would be to void the result of last night. But Sydney won, fair and square, before this was ever an issue.

I can't see Sydney giving up the points and that would be understandable.

And yes it has to come from the players. Maybe rest of round goes on and Crows and Cats split the points, both teams don't lose, and we move on.

That seems a fair outcome after what is just a totally shithouse turn of events.

I can't see Sydney giving up the points.

And yes it has to come from the players. Maybe rest of round goes on and Crows and Cats split the points, both teams don't lose, and we move on. That seems a fair outcome after what is just a totally shithouse turn of events.
Perhaps they could cancel the Crows/Cats game and have a week off for everyone else before finals for that game to be played? Dunno. Spitballin'.

Perhaps they could cancel the Crows/Cats game and have a week off for everyone else before finals for that game to be played? Dunno. Spitballin'.

Yeah that would be ideal...with all the stadium deals and so on that are locked in might reek havoc with TV, other sports etc though to add an extra week? Not sure either, but I'm guessing AFL execs are having this discussion right now.

You'd think if they cancelled the whole round it'd give whoever plays Sydney and Port next week an unfair advantage. And Rohan injuring his hamstring then counts for nothing (not that that's a massive issue in the scheme of things). It's going to be very complicated, but I'm sure the clubs and players will agree with whatever decision the AFL makes.

Ultimately it's going to come down to the players, do they want to play for Phil straight away or take the week off to grieve? It's such a terrible decision to have to even think of making.

Yeah that would be ideal...with all the stadium deals and so on that are locked in might reek havoc with TV, other sports etc though to add an extra week? Not sure either, but I'm guessing AFL execs are having this discussion right now.
there must be protocol for things like this (like in 1997 with Diana's funeral)

hope the cancel the round (sorry swans, give back the points).
so many issues to consider. Do Buddy and Tippitt have to miss another game.

Will the Crows be in any better shape to play the following week? Hell no. Do they cancel 2 rounds?

What does this do to the draw? Does it mean some teams don't play each other during the season.

You'd think the AFL would have a contingency plan for something like this happening but who knows what that plan suggests.

Its early days but hopefully this pushes domestic violence to the forefront of societal discussions. Its a much bigger issue than most the other s**t that's getting bandied about at the moment. Domestic Violence isn't just some drunk dick slapping his misses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there must be protocol for things like this (like in 1997 with Diana's funeral)

Maybe. This is a bit different though. Regardless what is chosen I hope affected by Walsh's death is getting the support and understand they need going forward.

Paul Kennedy made a good pint on the ABC news: the players are in no position to make a decision, they will be overcome with grief and not in a mental state that would enable them to make a call that is best for them. The decision needs to be made for them. Bloody hard decision but just cant see anyone allowing the players to get on a plane, and to move away from the support that would surround them at home.

And from a pure "fair football" world, there is no way the coaching staff can prepare for the game on Sunday....no way. The team would be going in blind and a thumping by the Cats wont do the players any good at all.

Can't help but see a link between this and the Gold Coast/Bennell saga this week.

If his son was using methamphetamine, surely it shows to the AFL how dangerous the consequences of illicit drug taking can be and why the AFL community needs to review the policies it has in that area. Whether they be getting rid of the strike policy altogether, or amending it into something else.

We've had the deaths of AFL footballers, footballers losing their careers and now coaches being murdered which have all involved the use of drugs.

This couldn't be anymore of a wakeup call.

Paul Kennedy made a good pint on the ABC news: the players are in no position to make a decision, they will be overcome with grief and not in a mental state that would enable them to make a call that is best for them. The decision needs to be made for them. Bloody hard decision but just cant see anyone allowing the players to get on a plane, and to move away from the support that would surround them at home.

And from a pure "fair football" world, there is no way the coaching staff can prepare for the game on Sunday....no way. The team would be going in blind and a thumping by the Cats wont do the players any good at all.
Yep.

Allow them the time to process this and farewell their coach at a funeral. This will at least give them some closure before they are next required to take the field, however long that may take. Only when they are ready and able to fully participate in what it is they need to do on-field and in preparation off-field should they come back to play.

How that approach is managed in context of the competition is for the AFL to manage and determine. Split points between them and their opponents could be the best option.

Yep.

Allow them the time to process this and farewell their coach at a funeral. This will at least give them some closure before they are next required to take the field, however long that may take. Only when they are ready and able to fully participate in what it is they need to do on-field and in preparation off-field should they come back to play.

How that approach is managed in context of the competition is for the AFL to manage and determine. Split points between them and their opponents could be the best option.

I read another outcome be that game is cancelled and their next match up is round 23 - so make that 8 points, and at Adelaide oval as a tribute to Walsh.

It's unfair on Cats as lose home game but thought a pretty reasonable idea. No splitting points, changes to draw etc, and importantly an opportunity to show Walsh the respect he deserves in the footy community.

Can't help but see a link between this and the Gold Coast/Bennell saga this week.

If his son was using methamphetamine, surely it shows to the AFL how dangerous the consequences of illicit drug taking can be and why the AFL community needs to review the policies it has in that area. Whether they be getting rid of the strike policy altogether, or amending it into something else.

We've had the deaths of AFL footballers, footballers losing their careers and now coaches being murdered which have all involved the use of drugs.

This couldn't be anymore of a wakeup call.
The AFL need to be more mindful of the stresses that being an AFL footballer are placing on young men who from the age of 18 (generally) are put in a position where they are told when to s**t/eat/sleep/train/rest for 10 months of the year. No weekends off. No Friday 5pm high as you head out the door for a few beers with your mates.

Your average 18-30 year old has the option of going out and blowing off steam and quite a significant portion use drugs and drink piss while doing so. The booze isn't an option for young footballers due to the after effects on recovery and skinfolds so they turn to drugs.

If they have any care whatsoever for the players the only solution is to provide young footballers with more outlets to relieve the monotonous and demanding repetition of their lives during the season. Is that a second bye? Maybe. How about clubs allowing players some latitude? One day off where they can get on the piss with their mates if they choose with no consequences? Doubt it.

It's a tough one. A balance between the demands and expectations of the club and competition and the mental health of young athletes.

Yep.

Also have to take into account the Port ADL boys. They've been through enough already and this will hit some of them hard. They won't be ready to play next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back