Opinion Rank the AFL midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily. He is better utilized on the outside for us. He's our designated playmaker - our inside players win the ball and dish it out to him. He does have that explosiveness of Ablett and Griffen, but he uses it better on the outside

Not necessarily. He is better utilized on the outside for us. He's our designated playmaker - our inside players win the ball and dish it out to him. He does have that explosiveness of Ablett and Griffen, but he uses it better on the outside
Will he also be better than these 2?

Funny to see Wild Bill defending Essendon
Lets just move Watson will we.
Watson>>Rockliff
Goddard>Redden
Zaharakis>Hanley
Stanton/heppell/melksham all >Mayes
Moloney=hocking.
I threw up little when I was doing it. Hanley had a better 2013 than Zaka. I would rank them even going into 2014. But I would prefer to have your mids going into this year.

Funny to see Wild Bill defending Essendon
Lets just move Watson will we.
Watson>>Rockliff
Goddard>Redden
Zaharakis>Hanley
Stanton/heppell/melksham all >Mayes
Moloney=hocking.
That's hillarious. I could make up my own order which would make Brisbane a clear winner too.

That's hillarious. I could make up my own order which would make Brisbane a clear winner too.
Who made up an order. I ranked them (Brisbanes were based on your order - you left Rich out but on recent form all of Zaharakis, Heppell, Stanton and Melksham are well ahead of him anyway) although there is little between Zaharakis, Stanton and Heppell. Rank yours in order and leave mine as they are if you like

LE

There's no mention of who the most watched team was either, but I don't see you taking Lily to task over her post. Perhaps you are merely stung by the notion that the popularity of certain teams is due to their lack of competitors for peoples affection. Then again, maybe you're just another mindless troll.

If you have a look at Jane's post she said:

"I think the most popular teams for members are the ones that have the most members. West Coast, Port etc."

So me pointing out that memberships aren't a totally accurate pointer to popularity of a team is both valid and relevant. Given no-one else has complained, perhaps you're the one in the minority.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 26 February 2000).]

Was my point earlier...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think the bombers have the lions midfield covered slightly at the moment, but they have near on peaked. The lions however have heaps more growth and potential... Lions mid group will fly past the bombers pretty soon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting that you claim that two very similar players can be compared by simply looking at the stats 38Rockliff38.
If we were to consider Cotchin's vs Priddis' 2012 (from a stats perspective) you'd have to give the edge to Priddis:
Cotchin Priddis
27.5 disp > 26.1 disp
12.4 cont < 13.7 cont
5.1 clear < 6.7 clear
2.5 cent cl < 2.7 cent cl
4.9 tackles < 5.5 tackles
65.5% disp eff < 70.4% disp eff
1 goal > 0.4 goals

So Priddis had the better 2012, right? Because they are, in many ways, similar players, right?
I would more easily argue that Cotchin was top 5 in the league (a subjective argument, granted, but one based on how I perceive a player while watching him rather than looking at a stats sheet and adding up his fantasy score) than Priddis was top 50 in the league in 2012.
Despite the fact that Priddis averaged more contested disposals, clearances, centre clearances, tackles and a higher disposal efficiency I would consider the argument that Priddis was the better player in that year silly as I watched both extensively and he clearly wasn't.

It's interesting that you claim that two very similar players can be compared by simply looking at the stats 38Rockliff38.
If we were to consider Cotchin's vs Priddis' 2012 (from a stats perspective) you'd have to give the edge to Priddis:
Cotchin Priddis
27.5 disp > 26.1 disp
12.4 cont < 13.7 cont
5.1 clear < 6.7 clear
2.5 cent cl < 2.7 cent cl
4.9 tackles < 5.5 tackles
65.5% disp eff < 70.4% disp eff
1 goal > 0.4 goals

So Priddis had the better 2012, right? Because they are, in many ways, similar players, right?
I would more easily argue that Cotchin was top 5 in the league (a subjective argument, granted, but one based on how I perceive a player while watching him rather than looking at a stats sheet and adding up his fantasy score) than Priddis was top 50 in the league in 2012.
Despite the fact that Priddis averaged more contested disposals, clearances, centre clearances, tackles and a higher disposal efficiency I would consider the argument that Priddis was the better player in that year silly as I watched both extensively and he clearly wasn't.
Priddis only has a high disposal count/efficiency because he is extremely handball happy. butchers it when he kicks it.

Priddis averaged 9 kicks a game, cotchin averaged 16. Also they are not similar players - they are very different.

Collingwood's midfield gets over hyped for mine. Based on last year's efforts.

Beams, remains to be seen if he can return to his Copeland form. Sidebottom far from elite. McAffer an average run with player. Ball coming off a reco.

Fremantle clear one for mine.

Hawthorn, Sydney, Adelaide the next rung.

Collingwood next behind, but ahead of the above three when all are fit and firing and playing to potential, but doesn't happen often enough.

Port, Geelong, Bulldogs, West Coast and Richmond in the next bracket.

Gold Coast next, then the rest chasing the pack.

Collingwood's midfield gets over hyped for mine. Based on last year's efforts.

Beams, remains to be seen if he can return to his Copeland form. Sidebottom far from elite. McAffer an average run with player. Ball coming off a reco.

Fremantle clear one for mine.

Hawthorn, Sydney, Adelaide the next rung.

Collingwood next behind, but ahead of the above three when all are fit and firing and playing to potential, but doesn't happen often enough.

Port, Geelong, Bulldogs, West Coast and Richmond in the next bracket.

Gold Coast next, then the rest chasing the pack.
I think you are underrating Beams and Sidebottom. Both are gun players, easily in the elite category IMO. Those two along with Pendlebury, Swan & Ball form the best starting 5 mids of any team in the comp

I think you are underrating Beams and Sidebottom. Both are gun players, easily in the elite category IMO. Those two along with Pendlebury, Swan & Ball form the best starting 5 mids of any team in the comp
I think you might be lowering the standards of what an elite midfielder actually is. I don't think Beams and Sidebottom would be up there with players like of Ablett, Pendles, Swan, Watson, Selwood and Dangerfield etc.

There's no doubt that I highly rate them though. On paper Collingwood definitely have one of the strongest midfields.

I think you might be lowering the standards of what an elite midfielder actually is. I don't think Beams and Sidebottom would be up there with players like of Ablett, Pendles, Swan, Watson, Selwood and Dangerfield etc.

Beams' 2012 was every bit as good as Dangerfield's and IMO better than any year Selwood has produced.

Beams' 2012 was every bit as good as Dangerfield's and IMO better than any year Selwood has produced.

more consistent you can't disagree with that but Beams hasn't quite grabbed as many games by the scruff of the neck and helped pull his team over the line like Dangerfield and Selwood seem to do.
Selwood doesn't gather the ridiculous high number of disposals those 2 gather either but in terms of lifting when the team is down, Dangerfield and Selwood seem to do so more often than what Beams does imo.

more consistent you can't disagree with that but Beams hasn't quite grabbed as many games by the scruff of the neck and helped pull his team over the line like Dangerfield and Selwood seem to do.
Selwood doesn't gather the ridiculous high number of disposals those 2 gather either but in terms of lifting when the team is down, Dangerfield and Selwood seem to do so more often than what Beams does imo.
Selwood has played 69 more games than beams, so of course he has done it more often. I would say that Beams and Danger are on par in that field though.

There's no doubt that I highly rate them though. On paper Collingwood definitely have one of the strongest midfields.
I think Beams will join that group this year, but Sidebottom definitely wont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back