11. Pavlich
12. Selwood
13. Boak
14. Swallow
15. Hurn
16. Ward/Davis*
17. Rockliff
18. M Murphy

*Difficult because Ward is a good on-field leader but Davis still needs some more work on his leadership!!

1. Riewoldt
2. Cotchin
3. Pendlebury
4. Jack/McVeigh
5. Walker
6. Hodge
7. Ablett
8. R Murphy
9. Watson
10. Jones
11. Pavlich
12. Selwood
13. Boak
14. Swallow
15. Hurn
16. Ward/Davis*
17. Rockliff
18. M Murphy

*Difficult because Ward is a good on-field leader but Davis still needs some more work on his leadership!!

Yeap, about right :drunk:

Below a dual Norm Smith medallist / premiership captain

Yeap, about right :drunk:

Below a dual Norm Smith medallist / premiership captain

In Cotchin's 2 years as captain (2013, 2014), he has lead the Tigers to the finals in both seasons (with their last finals appearance coming in 2001) and it seem they will again make finals this year.

As for Jack & McVeigh, the Swans have made 2 of the last 3 Grand Finals and have made the Prelims 3 years in a row.

In Cotchin's 2 years as captain (2013, 2014), he has lead the Tigers to the finals in both seasons (with their last finals appearance coming in 2001) and it seem they will again make finals this year.

As for Jack & McVeigh, the Swans have made 2 of the last 3 Grand Finals and have made the Prelims 3 years in a row.

Whilst the 6th best captain in the league is won of 15 b2b premiership captains in VFL/AFL history, is one of 2 captains to win a Norm Smith medal as captain and one or three players to win dual Norm Smith medals

Yeap 6th best captain in the league right :rolleyes: :drunk:

1. Hodge
2. Selwood
3. McVeigh
4. Watson
5. Riewoldt
6. Pavlich
---------
7. Boak
8. Pendlebury
9. B.Murphy
10. Ablett
11. Jones
---------
12. Hurn
13. Walker
14. Cotchin
15. Rockliff
16. Ward
---------
17. Swallow
18. M. Murphy

After I finalised my rankings, I noticed some groupings had emerged:

Top 6: The clear standouts as a result of their experience and exploits on and off-field. They've proven themselves leaders of men. Hodge & Selwood the two clear choices here.
7-11: Young leaders (bar Bob Murphy) who have flourished into above average leaders. Tend to rely on on-field talent to provide an example for their team mates to follow, but would surely do just as much behind the scenes as those ranked above them. Ablett was the one I struggled to place, but the fact is, Gold Coast are a 40% better side with him in it.
12-16: New leaders growing into the role, who are the right choices by their club, but just don't have the experience of those above them. Will grow in time.
17-18: Kangaroos have struggled for on-field leaders since the Carey/Archer/Stevens days, while Murphy just hasn't shown me much as a captain.

The appointment of co-Captains is a cop out. At this stage McVeigh & Ward are the two leaders of their clubs in my eyes, so I've ranked them accordingly.

Last edited:

Boak with the same achievements as Cotchin but somehow 13th? :p

Swallow is a lock for bottom 4. We have poor on field leadership. I love the guy as much as the next roos fan but he is not an effective on field leader. He works for a successful financial planning firm and I would have thought some of those management / organization skills would translate onto the field. Direction, organization, motivation, delegating, etc - not sure, perhaps hes just a quiet humble type, but we dont have many out there willing to throw their voice around, Jack Ziebell would be a suitable successor.

1. Riewodlt - performance this season is amazing, it is one thing to lead a quality side a much tougher job to drag kids along with you and get the best out of them.
2. Hodge - unquestionably an elite leader and until what I've seen form Riewodlt this season was my #1, leads the way and others follow.
3. Ablett - the confidence he provides to those around him at GC is amazing just look at last week.
4. Selwood - communicates well and leads from the front always.
5. Pavlich - has the respect of those around him in similar manner to those above. Honestly not a lot between top 5.

6. Ward* - clearly the leader, has lead from the front and been very impressive in doing so over last season & half. (will be sole captain in 2016)
7. Pendelbury - another who leads from the front, just not sure how he goes in bringing the best out of others.
8. B.Murphy - whilst first season as captain has been a leader for a number of years and given the leadership vacuum created in the off season has been very impressive.
9. McVeigh - is leading a quality side, but feel that Sydney is a club with no real captain as such instead a leadership group who all do the job.
10. Boak - whilst impressive last season, now the form has slipped away finding things tougher.
11. Cotchin - an emerging leader.
12. Jones - was captain before officially made so by Roos, whilst leads from the front struggling to get others to follow.
13. Watson - whether it is constantly be under the pump or slump in his own form, his leadership has definitely dropped off
14. Walker - talk about baptism of fire, firstly struggles to get on field to lead and now has to lead through this. Next 8 games will most likely either make him an elite captain or break him. Pulling everyone together for the rest of the season will be very tough.
15. Hurn - new to job hard to rate, as really haven't watched enough West Coast matches, seems to be doing ok
16. Rockliff - impossible to rate first season and has barely been on the field, but shown signs will lead from front.

17. Swallow - North have a leadership vacuum and have had since Archer retired, not sure who the solution really is but it isn't Swallow.
18. M. Murphy - his marked absence during 2014 & until Malthouse was sacked spoke volumes. Judd led onfield and worst of all off it too. Life post Malthouse offers him a fresh start, but needs to grab it over the next 8 weeks or Carlton will look elsewhere for 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst the 6th best captain in the league is won of 15 b2b premiership captains in VFL/AFL history, is one of 2 captains to win a Norm Smith medal as captain and one or three players to win dual Norm Smith medals

Yeap 6th best captain in the league right :rolleyes: :drunk:
And play with busted ribs

1. Riewoldt
2. Cotchin
3. Pendlebury
4. Jack/McVeigh
5. Walker
6. Hodge
7. Ablett
8. R Murphy
9. Watson
10. Jones
11. Pavlich
12. Selwood
13. Boak
14. Swallow
15. Hurn
16. Ward/Davis*
17. Rockliff
18. M Murphy

LOL

It's easier to lead an awesome team with a heap of leaders in it than it is a young team that struggles.

Everyone has Hodge too high in my opinion.
What a stupid argument. So because Hawthorn have some other good leaders it automatically means Hodge should be lower in people's calculations?

Half the captains in the league would have nothing on Hodges captaincy. Also a lot of these other good younger leaders at the club are learning from arguably Hawthorn's greatest ever captain. Listen to interviews with our players in regards to Hodge. The demands and expectations he has on his group are intense and he has total respect from all within the club with how he leads it.

New here i see

Hawks fans sook if anyone dares not rate them, or their players or whatever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back