Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't pass judgement, I just explained the reason. Go peddle your pro VFL s**t on the Industry Board where your sad little pro Vic is da best mate can suppress or ban anything that doesn't fit into yours or his world view.

Ahh, it so fun to cross swords with you...any sort of facts and logic, and you revert to accusations of bias and name calling.

Why don't you try and argue the point some time?

West coast are my second team and the only other team I give even a slight toss about. This is the case for a number of AFC supporters I know too. I always liked WA since the SoO days and west coast were a natural extension of that and have a similar history to us. Have heard numerous west coast supporters saying we're their second side as well.

Not sure if port fans have a similar affinity for freo. Probably not as freo weren't Est. 680 BC

Thanks for that, quite interesting!

Showdowns have had the better games, with some huge moments, Derby has the onfield spite... the rest well... give it 10 years, maybe. Though the WA and SA matches got going from game 1.

Were people more excited for Showdown 40 last week or the Western Derby tomorrow?

I have never understood how one of the Derbys and one of the showdowns are not a lock for a Friday night game every year.
You would think they would rate highly nationally.

As a Tas/Vic, I agree. Love those games. Seems like an easy way too for the AFL to give non-Vic sides a Friday night game that those sides would like (rather than just playing one of about 5 Victorian clubs).

My rankings for the 'rivalries':
1. Adelaide v Port
2. West Coast v Freo
Daylight
3. GWS v Sydney
4. Brisbane v GC

The hard thing about the bottom 2 is that I imagine even if both were top of the table, the crowds would still be mediocre. Only gotta look at the Ballantyne after-the-siren point, or the Monfries impossible-bounce-goal to see how great the crowds are there, and the atmosphere. Great stuff, a major part of the reason I would like a boutique stadium in Melbourne (more sellout games).

Hopefully with patience and no stupid stunts from the AFL (Hunt/Folau), Sydney, GWS, GC & Brisbane can continue to grow and be well supported in 15-30 years. It's a long term thing so patience is required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never understood how one of the Derbys and one of the showdowns are not a lock for a Friday night game every year.
You would think they would rate highly nationally.

Either that or surely games like West Coast v Adelaide (or West Coast v a high performing non-Vic side i.e. Port 2014, Sydney the last 10 years and so on) would also do well. Would bring in WA & SA fans massively, and I doubt many Vic supporters wouldn't watch 2 quality sides just because they are non-Victorian. WC v Adelaide seems like a better match-up than just Saturday/Sunday twilight

Either that or surely games like West Coast v Adelaide (or West Coast v a high performing non-Vic side i.e. Port 2014, Sydney the last 10 years and so on) would also do well. Would bring in WA & SA fans massively, and I doubt many Vic supporters wouldn't watch 2 quality sides just because they are non-Victorian. WC v Adelaide seems like a better match-up than just Saturday/Sunday twilight

I think you make a good point, 2 good sides most will watch.
But most Friday nights it's the same sides over and over again.
Look at tonight, how many in WA really will watch this game? And once again it involves one of the so called big clubs.
It is such a shame that the AFL themselves have never actually embraced the national comp. it is still so Victorian centric.

Look at tonight, how many in WA really will watch this game? And once again it involves one of the so called big clubs.
It is such a shame that the AFL themselves have never actually embraced the national comp. it is still so Victorian centric.

To be honest I do think non-Vic fans need to accept getting QUALITY Big Vic sides (i.e. Hawks, Cats, Tigers) and the occasional QUALITY small Vic side (North, Dogs for sure next year), but you're right, it's a shame when underperforming Vic clubs (Carlton, Essendon, even Pies of last year) get rewarded with home Friday night games and away ones. Eagles, Dockers, Port & Crows would draw big on Friday night and have high TV v any likely quality opponent.

Edit: I say accept the quality sides because I'm guessing the Vic audience + Sydney is what the TV producers want, and so $$$. But I think you can make the TV execs happy while still putting out a quality product that all non-Vic fans can get behind

Its about tv ratings. Reality is Vic market is biggest

Its about tv ratings. Reality is Vic market is biggest

I struggle to believe that Adelaide v Port or WC v Fremantle wouldn't rate in Vic. Not nearly as much as 2 big Vic clubs sure, but surely you can compromise on a Vic loss for a quality product and big gains elsewhere?
Hell, we would all even appreciate the Dogs getting an away Friday night game for once. Again, might not pull as high as Pies/Blues/Tigers, but quality product = over time you will win back what you lost

Eagles v freo need to get a couple of finals derbies under the belt now to make it really fierce. 20 years and no finals meeting is disappointing.

60,000 at the new stadium will be feral!

West coast are my second team and the only other team I give even a slight toss about. This is the case for a number of AFC supporters I know too. I always liked WA since the SoO days and west coast were a natural extension of that and have a similar history to us. Have heard numerous west coast supporters saying we're their second side as well.

Not sure if port fans have a similar affinity for freo. Probably not as freo weren't Est. 680 BC

Can back this up. Most west coasters respect Adelaide, must be the pioneering AFL spirit

Adelaide and Port were promised a Friday night Showdown before moving to Adelaide Oval but both clubs are still waiting. The AFL program the game to fill holes in schedules knowing that crowds will turn up regardless. Personally I'd like to see the other local clashes on FTA tv but I'm not expecting this to happen anytime soon given the understandable predilection of the networks to transmit local clubs' games instead.
I believe that all clubs should have an equal number of Friday night games over a fixed period eg 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back