Analysis Rank the speed of our players

Remove this Banner Ad

track running is one thing, on-field pace is another.

find me one clip of Hendo showing off his top-end pace on the ground and I'll take it back. Don't ever recall him getting out of a canter with ball in hand, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

He's one of our fastest players along with smith and danger, I'm not sure why this is even being disputed.

Running is running, there's no difference.

First minute of this. Admittedly not a conclusive example.

he's not slow, but I don't see anything there that lifts him above the likes of Dougie, Mackay, Jenkins, Jaensch or B Crouch who have been rated B's by the OP.

still doesn't belong in the top flight for me, but who really cares right?

Running is running, there's no difference.
VERY strongly disagree, but again I'm not really looking for a debate here. Just because Hendo is "rated" as quick doesn't mean he demonstrates it regularly on field. All the other A-bracket players routinely make me sit-up and say "s**t he's quick!" - Hendo, not so much. No big deal, if everyone was as quick as Smith it wouldn't be special anymore.

We are slooooow.

Express
Danger
Cameron

Quickish
Crouch
Smith
Jenkins
Douglas
Betts

'Not Slow'
(but not fast)
Sloane
Hendo

Slow
Everyone not previoulsy named (exclude 0 gamers)

Plodders

Thomo, Tex, Sauce, Otten, Grigg,

Jeebus...Smith is quickish

Quickish doesn't chase down Jetta with a head start, that is serious wheels

Jeebus...Smith is quickish

Quickish doesn't chase down Jetta with a head start, that is serious wheels

Smiths fast but I'm not sure he's in that very top bracket of pace. Even if he did run down jetta one time. He didn't do so well in the gf sprint, but perhaps he wasn't trying.

Have to admit I didn't put a ton of thought into the post. The point I was trying to make is that we have plenty of plodders on the list.

Smiths fast but I'm not sure he's in that very top bracket of pace. Even if he did run down jetta one time. He didn't do so well in the gf sprint, but perhaps he wasn't trying.

Have to admit I didn't put a ton of thought into the post. The point I was trying to make is that we have plenty of plodders on the list.

Every list has lots of plodders

Just for shits and giggles, rank Carltons speed

This topic is all relative to personal opinion. I think a slightly slower but highly skilled team that has high disposal efficiency will beat a fast team with poor skills. I personally don't think we are too slow, our kicking, set ups, team defence and general play have let us down and the resulting turnovers make us look slower. Also playing guys like Danger and Thommo when they are clearly injured just adds to it.
Bring on 2015, hearing Sloane say how hard they are working on elite kicking & tackling is something to look forward to.

A little old, but relevant re Grigg's lack of pace: http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/mi...eer-pick-up-pace/story-fndv862c-1226834284031
In the end, it took the man with an astute eye for what really matters, former Crows recruiting manager Matt Rendell, to talk coach Brenton Sanderson into taking a punt on the midfield ball magnet.

“I said to Sando, ’mate, are you happy picking a slow, tough midfielder with an elite kick?’,’’ Rendell recalled.

...once he started zeroing in on what makes some of the game’s premier onballers tick - those not blessed with great leg speed - his game took off.

Suddenly, his lack of pace - Grigg admitted he ranks in the bottom five at the Crows in the 100-metre sprint - doesn’t seem to be a big problem any more.

“I’m a slow sort of person, but that’s okay,’’ said the 21-year-old star of the Redlegs’ 2013 SANFL premiership win.

“I do technique work on my running with the Crows’ fitness staff but at the end of the day you are either born with speed, or you’re not.

“I wasn’t blessed with it and it was obviously harped on before the draft.

“But it doesn’t bother me too much because if I can get my game knowledge and ability to read the play up then I can make up for it.

“It’s all about finding ways to make me a better player so that’s what I’ve worked on so hard to get to this point.’’

In consultation with Adelaide’s coaching and development staff, Grigg turned to the video recorder.

He spent countless hours studying the games of Collingwood’s four-times All-Australian Pendlebury, Hawthorn’s quadruple club champion Mitchell and best-and-fairest team-mate Sloane.

As Grigg pointed out, pace hasn’t been the key to their standout performances.

Skill, footy-smarts and work ethic has.

“I studied their games hard, virtually getting a bird’s eye view of watching how they play, the patterns to their success, where they run to get the ball and where they position themselves to know where the next ball is coming,’’ Grigg explained.

“It’s all about reading the play, positioning, finding space and work ethic.

“It’s fair to say none of these players are explosively-quick but they are at the elite level, so it was a good example for me.

“I modelled my game on Mitchell when I was coming through, then I moved to Pendlebury because I’ve become a bit more of an outside runner like him.

“And watching Sloaney’s unbelievable outside running has been another good lesson.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back to all the articles and even threads about ricky Henderson when he was drafted. Even was raaaaaving about his pace, along with his vertical leap and endurance. His athleticism is why he was spotted and asked to play afl in the first place.

Again, I'm not sure why this is even being disputed.

The elite pacemen on our list are:
Hendo
Danger
Smith
Wilson
Mackay
Jenkins
Cameron
Osborn?

Id put players like Douglas, Betts, Crouch, Knight, Kerridge, Jaensch and CEY in the quickish group.

Go back to all the articles and even threads about ricky Henderson when he was drafted. Even was raaaaaving about his pace, along with his vertical leap and endurance. His athleticism is why he was spotted and asked to play afl in the first place.

Again, I'm not sure why this is even being disputed.

The elite pacemen on our list are:
Hendo
Danger
Smith
Wilson
Mackay
Jenkins
Cameron
Osborn?

Id put players like Douglas, Betts, Crouch, Knight, Kerridge, Jaensch and CEY in the quickish group.
Wasn't Hendo asked to tone it down a bit so nobody else spotted him? Lol

We are slooooow.

Express
Danger
Cameron

Quickish
Crouch
Smith
Jenkins
Douglas
Betts

'Not Slow'
(but not fast)
Sloane
Hendo

Slow
Everyone not previoulsy named (exclude 0 gamers)

Plodders

Thomo, Tex, Sauce, Otten, Grigg,

So Wilson is slow

Hendo is a B every day of the week, where the hell did you get the idea he could mix it with the likes of Danger and Smith? dreaming.
ooo oooo me! me! I can answer that….because i heard with my own ears, one Patrick Dangerfield state this at a fans and players breakfast in Brisbane. He also said Jenkins was one off the quickest of the mark….and then bragged about himself - on purpose for humour.

Last edited:
Dougie rated as quick by many on here? Surely not...pedestrian at best. When I watch us we generally do look slow....opposition forwards seemingly always get easy marks in space, and ours are often under immense pressure (this could be timing of leads, general agility too). The midfielders as a group do sometimes look slow too, but again this may be their positioning, lateral movement, etc. I'd say in general, we match most sides, but there are a few who we struggle with who are, or rather appear to be, a yard faster across the park Sydney, Port, Essendon and even the Bullies).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back