Ranking Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched our demolition game against collingwood - Man was tyrone brilliant , Kicked 6 goals and totally dominated the game

playing the Leigh Brown role better than leigh brown ever did

I'm still on the fence about Vickery (give him time - he's only been 7 years in the system!)

He's a good goal kicker - does hit the scoreboard. But he probably doesn't do enough otherwise - ie, he's pretty poor in the contest (not a great contested mark) - he's very slow (he's 200cm!), but on the other hand, he's very agile for 200cms. He's a smart footballer - but does a lot of dumb things.

I think he is what he is now - he's unlikely to get any better. But he can be very valuable if we learn how to use him properly. He's never going to be a number 1 forward - he's never going to be a No 1 ruck (love to be proven wrong on both those). But he has abilities that can definitely make the team better.

PS - forgetting the age factor - I'd swap him tomorrow for Cloke. Yeah, Cloke is an unreliable kick. But a bad game for Cloke is 0.5. He's still in the game. A bad game for Vickery is pretty much doughnuts all round.

I love the way this list rates goal assists equally with actual goals/scoring. Outsiders are always stating that Jack should move back closer to goal so he can again score the bag of goals he once did but looking at this it is very clear that Jack is just as dangerous to the teams scoreboard further up the ground with how clever he is with his ball use.

Vickery needs another consistent season before he is recognized as one of the competitions best forwards. One thing about both Jack and Vickery is how incredibly accurate they are. Vickery has a unusual approach but his finish is always long and straight. I think he will prove to the world how good he can be this season.

I have always been rated Griffith's potential. How many players can kick it as far as he can and take the sort of hangers he does. What he lacks though is confidence and it effects his kicking for goal and his leading. He never seems to really want the ball in his hands. Lennon and Loyd on the other hand demand the ball and are hungry to kick a goal. Griff has his rucking ability that gives him the edge on the other two but I just can't see Griff getting the ball enough to be our long term third tall. I would rather give McBean a try, or Lennon.

Moving forward how Rioli fits into the forward line will be really interesting. I think we keep trying to make the three tall forwards and a ruckman work but I think playing Jack, Vickery and Lennon/Rioli will work better.

Agree with a fwd line of
Martin Jack Lennon
Lids Vickery Edwards

With Rioli rotating off the bench when Martin goes in the guts
So how do people think he went. Personally i was disappointed. He again kicked goals but the rest of his game was awful imo. first goal was a gimme second thanks to a 50 metre penalty.Those were his only two touches in the first quarter and the only two times i really saw him. At least his third goal he was involved.If the goals dry up he will become one hell of a passenger.

My biggest worry with him is he is so poor in a contest and he gives nothing at all when he doesnt have the ball.
Sounds harsh i know but outside of Jack we have serious kpf problems imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back