Rape Culture

Remove this Banner Ad

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Something has been bugging me for a while about posts here: the use of phrases like 'we're going to rape team x'. It is unnecessary and distasteful. More worryingly, for me, it serves to normalise rape as that something just happens.

Rape culture is a problem with which our entire society has to struggle. Football (along with other institutions that collect groups of young men together) has a particular problem. When fans say something like "we are going to rape you this week' it fits within that culture.

Changing the culture means changing the way we think about rape (both the term and the concept).

All I am asking is that before using 'rape' in a post, we all think whether there is a suitable alternative to use.

I know I'm probably out on my own with this one but feel I need to say something about it.

Last edited:
Well said MrMeaner and reminds me an article on this topic I read recently in The Guardian.

This is rape culture

It is a disturbing reflection of society.

I will offer fair advance warning here too, anyone that thinks it would be funny to 'have a larf' in this thread might not like the result.

I fully agree that the word rape should not be used in the context of a team being beaten. Anything that equates conquering/winning with sexual violence is unacceptable.

Can't ever remember using the term myself or one I'm likely to. Everything else aside I don't see how it fits in as a sporting analogy.

Though fans who say they are going to literally decimate the opposition and their supporters are surely worse?!

I think that the term: 'he was raped of the ball' or: 'they raped him of the ball' etc. is the most I have heard of the term 'rape' in footy

rape [reyp]
noun
1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
3. statutory rape.
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

verb (used with object), raped, rap·ing.
6. to force to have sexual intercourse.
7. to plunder (a place); despoil.
8. to seize, take, or carry off by force.

In modern usage the word is almost exclusively associated with sexual assault, but its variance of meaning is valid in the examples cited in this thread, as distasteful as it can sound.

I think that the term: 'he was raped of the ball' or: 'they raped him of the ball' etc. is the most I have heard of the term 'rape' in footy
Hmm, don't listen to any official commentary, but don't remember hearing this much.

"we were raped by the umpires" is the one I most commonly hear.
This one I've heard plenty of. Although arguably tasteless it is a correct analogy in those in a position of power have abused it to achieve a result against someone in a manner that is not fair or right. Now obviously this is like equating someone stepping on your foot with someone hitting you with a baseball bat, but it's a totally different context to saying you are going out to 'rape' another team / player. Empathy with a victim position rather than exulting in being in the position of power to abuse a victim (again I'm not preaching equivalence of the situations, just an interpretation).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rape [reyp]
noun
1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
3. statutory rape.
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

verb (used with object), raped, rap·ing.
6. to force to have sexual intercourse.
7. to plunder (a place); despoil.
8. to seize, take, or carry off by force.

In modern usage the word is almost exclusively associated with sexual assault, but its variance of meaning is valid in the examples cited in this thread, as distasteful as it can sound.

good point

I always took the term "rape and pillage" as the modern term for rape.

It makes more sense when you think of the old definition. That said, I am sure those Vikings didn't discriminate when it came to definitions. Or may be they used the old definition when they returned home in front of their wives and a very different definition on foreign soil.

oh and the other definition being a plant

rape2
Line breaks: rape
Pronunciation: /reɪp

A plant of the cabbage family with bright yellow heavily scented flowers, especially a variety ( oilseed rape) grown for its oil-rich seed and as stockfeed. Also called colza.
  • Genus Brassica, family Cruciferae, in particular B. napus subsp. oleifera
noun
[mass noun]colza.

oh and the other definition being a plant

rape2
Line breaks: rape
Pronunciation: /reɪp

A plant of the cabbage family with bright yellow heavily scented flowers, especially a variety ( oilseed rape) grown for its oil-rich seed and as stockfeed. Also called colza.
noun
[mass noun]colza.

Rapeseed = Canola

We know what is meant by this thread and playing with words is pointless. Broomrape is a notifiable weed in SA and I can image the clever cuts on this site having a field day with that one, No pun intended. Perhaps we should all be respectful of this thread's original sentiments and leave it at that.

Something has been bugging me for a while about posts here: the use of phrases like 'we're going to rape team x'. It is unnecessary and distasteful. More worryingly, for me, it serves to normalise rape as that something just happens.

Rape culture is a problem with which our entire society has to struggle. Football (along with other institutions that collect groups of young men together) has a particular problem. When fans say something like "we are going to rape you this week' it fits within that culture.

Changing the culture means changing the way we think about rape (both the term and the concept).

All I am asking is that before using 'rape' in a post, we all think whether there is a suitable alternative to use.

I know I'm probably out on my own with this one but feel I need to say something about it.

Totally agree with you. I personally find such phrases repugnant and against Bigfooty rules (i.e. keep it clean/civil). If you see these types of phrases used on the Port Board report it.

Totally agree with you. I personally find such phrases repugnant and against Bigfooty rules (i.e. keep it clean/civil). If you see these types of phrases used on the Port Board report it.

I don't like it either as I can't help but think of one limited definition of the word. However we should accept the use, if someone is using the English language correctly and using the broader definition of the word.

One of those cases where posters using potentially provocative language should be considerate of others and readers should be more tolerant of posters and the language they use. Especially if they are not being offensive rather it is the ignorance of the readers, as it was with me, who were not aware of the broader definition.

I don't come to BDC all that often, but I wanted to agree with the other sentiments in this thread. A group of boys once attempted to rape my sister, my wife was physically abused by her partner in a previous relationship and my mother-in-law was sexually abused by her father. All of these behaviours by men were abhorrent and have no place in society. I completely agree with the OP's sentiment, and think we should all do our part to make the world a safer place for our daughters to grow up in.

I don't come to BDC all that often, but I wanted to agree with the other sentiments in this thread. A group of boys once attempted to rape my sister, my wife was physically abused by her partner in a previous relationship and my mother-in-law was sexually abused by her father. All of these behaviours by men were abhorrent and have no place in society. I completely agree with the OP's sentiment, and think we should all do our part to make the world a safer place for our daughters to grow up in.

The statistics on sexual abuse are horrific.

We have to learn as a society that it is not acceptable and dare I say it......tougher penalties

Remove this Banner Ad

Back