Raspberry Pi

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Just got my first raspberry pi delivered this morning.

Who has got one, and what have you done with it? Also what operating system did you put onto it?

For my first I'm just gonna go with the Raspbian OS and see what the OS is like. Not really sure what to do with it yet.

Definitely intrigued about getting http://openelec.tv/ up and running. That will probably require installing the XBMC OS.

I'm looking at converting my web-sites from Apache to nginx so this will give me a chance to do a dry run on a disposable OS. I think it would be fine anyway but always good to test.

There are also a couple of other similar things like Arduino.

I grabbed one when they first came out and it's been happily running as my bedroom media PC for the last year or so. I played with Openelec and Raspbmc when they first came out, but I've found Xbian to be the best all rounder. It's stable, UI speed isn't too bad, and it plays pretty much everything (it can struggle with high bitrate 1080p MKVs though).

I run Openelec on mine, it runs very small but has no problems with any files I have thrown at it. I have overclocked it too, which helps. Just make sure you turn off rss, weather and all that other stuff that can slow it down.

I grabbed one when they first came out and it's been happily running as my bedroom media PC for the last year or so. I played with Openelec and Raspbmc when they first came out, but I've found Xbian to be the best all rounder. It's stable, UI speed isn't too bad, and it plays pretty much everything (it can struggle with high bitrate 1080p MKVs though).

Is there something really simple i am missing with the xbian installer? download, extract, double click... nothing happens at all. right click -> open as administrator .... Unable to run the program because the correct application can not be determined.

Am running linux mint 64 bit. definitely downloaded the linux installer.

tried on ubuntu and exact same thing happening.

EDIT: all good. got the windows installer working. currently on booting in to the Pi the screen is stuck on "fs resize" but googling this seems a common problem and is an issue with the splash screen and should be fixed on reboot.

ive got openelec on mine, works well but gets laggy at times

With stuff like this coming out RPi is going to drop in popularity a little as a media player.

Intel DN2820FYKH NUC Barebone Kit

Once it's confirmed that they handle 1080p rips fine (there's some uncertainty over the built in graphics chip) I'll probably be grabbing one to replace the full sized tower sitting behind my TV.

Just picked up the NUC I posted above, I love how tiny these things are getting.....

pQvcX0f.jpg

(iPhone 4 for size reference)

I can't wait to get it home and throw the SSD into it, with a fresh install of Openelec it should be a nice HTPC/Retro-gaming system.

Except it would cost you almost 10 times as much to set up than an RPi, while doing pretty much the same thing. Plus RPi plays 1080 perfectly.

Except it would cost you almost 10 times as much to set up than an RPi, while doing pretty much the same thing. Plus RPi plays 1080 perfectly.

$209 with 4 gig ram (i already had a drive), RPi starts to add up once you get buy all the bits and pieces, and really struggles if you want to display library info.

$209 with 4 gig ram (i already had a drive), RPi starts to add up once you get buy all the bits and pieces, and really struggles if you want to display library info.

All most people need for the RPi is another SD card and a case. Pretty much everyone has an old phone charger lying around. Add the price of the drive to your 209 and its quite a bit more than the 50-60 for the pi. I have no problem with library info running Openelec with Amber...once rss is turned off and other small things like that, and the pi is overclocked (a simple setting change), it runs extremely well. Better than the boxee it replaced.

In saying that, the nuc is a good product...just more expensive.

All most people need for the RPi is another SD card and a case. Pretty much everyone has an old phone charger lying around. Add the price of the drive to your 209 and its quite a bit more than the 50-60 for the pi. I have no problem with library info running Openelec with Amber...once rss is turned off and other small things like that, and the pi is overclocked (a simple setting change), it runs extremely well. Better than the boxee it replaced.

In saying that, the nuc is a good product...just more expensive.

I'm not saying these are competition for the Pi right now, it was just in reference to my previous post about how as more of these things get released the price will get driven down and take over from the Pi a little.

I haven't played with mine much since I got it when they were first released but I've never been able to get the UI to run smoothly enough to seriously consider using library info, but as it's just a bedroom media player that doesn't really concern me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just picked up the NUC I posted above, I love how tiny these things are getting.....

pQvcX0f.jpg

(iPhone 4 for size reference)

I can't wait to get it home and throw the SSD into it, with a fresh install of Openelec it should be a nice HTPC/Retro-gaming system.
I picked up this - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1552&products_id=25956 About a month ago and couldn't believe how small it was. Doesn't appear to be able to stream HD movies which is a bit of a shame (could be due to it going via wireless but I don't think it is). Main reason I picked it up was so I could download the AFL app and plug it into my screen of choice and stream AFL games via that, the other things are just an added bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back