Rate a Commentator - Michael Slater

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Employed because of his cricket experience, thinks he's there for his comedic talents. That, and the fact he's got the whole NSW = Australia thing going.

I've heard him OS, he's not bad. But when he's on here, I mute the TV and put on ABC Radio.

being groomed as teh ch9 idiot once tony greig goes.

you need some one to be an ignorant fool so the others look good.

heals makes a few bad calls but is the best of the new lot.

Surely not srs

It makes what they are trying to do with benaud so strange, they are so desperate for his calls they are willing to have him call the matches from home yet they encourage the new generation to be as different from benaud as you could possibly be.

This man was all about the importance of what was not said in commentary rather than cramming as many words per minute in as possible so if they value him so highly why encourage the new lot to spit on everything he taught them?

Do they really value the work he actually does as a commentator or do they simply value his iconic status and want to cash in on it?

It makes what they are trying to do with benaud so strange, they are so desperate for his calls they are willing to have him call the matches from home yet they encourage the new generation to be as different from benaud as you could possibly be.

This man was all about the importance of what was not said in commentary rather than cramming as many words per minute in as possible so if they value him so highly why encourage the new lot to spit on everything he taught them?

Do they really value the work he actually does as a commentator or do they simply value his iconic status and want to cash in on it?

The latter

Yep. Employed because of his cricket experience, thinks he's there for his comedic talents. That, and the fact he's got the whole NSW = Australia thing going.

I've heard him OS, he's not bad. But when he's on here, I mute the TV and put on ABC Radio.
it use to be the way when you have the shits from listing to Ian Chapple & Tony greig, put the ABC on and watching the cricket was far more enjoyable. not so much nowdays as there is that delay between the radio and TV broadcasts

I think the problem with guys like Slster and Heals is that they are surrounded by all their former teammates when doing their calling, which causes the over the top cheerleading.

If there were a few overseas commentators integrated into the team for the summer, they would all likely perform better.

It's like hearing Dean Jones commentating overseas, who fits in very well within the callers he works with (minus the terrorist jibe).

Ian Healy and Michael Slater are like the Batman and Robin of bad commentary when they're together. If one comes out with a moronically cheesy line, the other just has to top it.

But yeah, Slater's idiocy with Channel 9 is probably a combination of influences like Healy and just the general air of insanity that pervades Channel 9's coverage of cricket.

Nevertheless, at least he's actually played international cricket so he understands the pressures that go with it. James Brayshaw hasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ian Healy and Michael Slater are like the Batman and Robin of bad commentary when they're together. If one comes out with a moronically cheesy line, the other just has to top it.

But yeah, Slater's idiocy with Channel 9 is probably a combination of influences like Healy and just the general air of insanity that pervades Channel 9's coverage of cricket.

Nevertheless, at least he's actually played international cricket so he understands the pressures that go with it. James Brayshaw hasn't.

Neither has Jim Maxwell

Therein lies the problem... ex-players getting a gig purely because they played. How does 'knowing the pressures of international cricket' honestly make Michael Slater's commentary better? It doesn't. As long as you have played cricket at some level you have the ability to understand it. We need more commentators and less ex-players.

I don't think you need to have played test cricket to commentate. Maybe that's the problem, you look at all other sports in Australia eg AFL, NRL and they are usually hosted by people that have not played the game at the highest level and then just use the ex players for special comments.

Commentary dream team:
Mark Nicholas- smooth operator/ front man
Kerry O'Keefe- dunno how he'd transition to TV but he's hilarious
Harsha Bhogle- Always good value, especially down under
Ed Cowan- His days of playing for Aus might be over, but I think he has a substantial career in the media ahead of him
Damien Fleming- bowlologist, say no more
Barry Richards most underrated commentator imo, voice of reason and not bias
Shane Warne- Best test captain that never was. Get him off twitter though
Michael Atherton- nuanced observations, would go well as the straight man in this set of commentators

Poor old Slats had a manic-depressive commentary stint during the final yesterday, as his beloved Blues teased him endlessly. WA had their nose in front most of the match but whenever NSW started crawling back you could feel Slats getting excited because OOOH THE BLUES ARE GETTING RIGHT BACK IN THIS I RECKON THEY HAVE THEIR NOSE IN FRONT NOW HEALS!!!....before being heartbroken whenever they lost another wicket.

How do we know it's Richie? It could be Billy Birmingham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back