Rate a show: Coodabeen Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

Still must listen to radio every Saturday.

Shame TorcH doesn't do his quarter quads now "1, 2 and 9"

Did it ever get up?
Yes, quite often actually.

Ivan from Ivanhoe called on Preliminary Final day 1988.

"I'm here at the ground Tony, I'm very excited to see the mighty Dees finally get a chance to paly in a grand final". I got a very good park for the Mercedes....right in front of the Members Stand"

"Thats great to hear Ivan, is the crowd excited?"

"Thats what I'm calling about Tony....there isnt any crowd. Whats happening? Its terrible!"

"Where are you again Ivan?"

"Where do you think I am? In front of the MCC Members!!!"

"Ivan...the game is at VFL Park"

"That cant be right.....this is a Melbourne game. Melbourne always plays its games at the MCG. Its the home of football Tony"

"No, you are at the wrong ground"

"Mutter mutter mtter grumble grumble grumble .....click"

Last edited:

Ivan from Ivanhoe called on Preliminary Final day 1988.

"I'm here at the ground Tony, I'm very excited to see the mighty Dees finally get a chance to paly in a grand final". I got a very good park for the Mercedes....right in front of the Members Stand"

"Thats great to hear Ivan, is the crowd excited?"

"Thats what I'm calling about Tony....there isnt any crowd. Whats happening? Its terrible!"

"Where are you again Ivan?"

"Where do you think I am? In front of the MCC Members!!!"

"Ivan...the game is at VFL Park"

"That cant be right.....this is a Melbourne game. Melbourne always plays its games at the MCG. Its the home of football Tony"

"No, you are at the wrong ground"

"Mutter mutter mtter grumble grumble grumble .....click"

You'll love this, then - Ivan and Claude go to the 1991 Elimination Final:

Steve Kolynuik won a game for the Dogs with a late goal one year......He had a free kick about 70 out and was lining up for a long bomb when he decided to play on....ran around a half asleep Peter Daicos on the mark and kicked the winning goal from 50. Digger was not impressed.

"Its not fair Tony"
"Whats not fair Digger"
"That Bulldog player who did that terrible thing to Daics. Its a disgrace Tony"
"He just played on...hes allowed to do that"
"He pulled a knife on him Tony!!! Thats why Daics couldnt stop him !He had a knife!! Everybody saw it except those mongrel umpiires. Its a conspiracy Tony"!!!!!

And then theres the famous Mothers Day massacre in about 1987 when the Tigers belted Collingwood
"Its not fair Tony"
"Whats not fair"
"Darren Millane couldnt play against Richmond and its the VFL's fault"
"He was injured Digger....surely you cant blame the VFL for that"
"No he wasnt"
"Have you heard something else Digger?"
"Yes Tony...........He couldnt play because it was Mothers Day......HE LOVES HIS MUM TONY...He LOVES HIS MUM....he cant play on Mothers Day.........ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!!"
Digger unimpressed with new Collingwood coach Leigh Matthews during the pre season. He umpired the intra club and CRUCIFIED BOTH SIDES!

At their best 15-20 years ago when all the callers had me in stitches.
Digger (funniest thing ever on radio), Timmy from Thomstown (not the BF poster), Peter from Peterborough, Merv from Moorabin etc etc. Also used to join in their competitions. Never won any but came runner up a couple of times. Used to go under the action faction of "When playing the Eagles, you've still got a chance, if you kick to the man playing on Murray Rance." They always thought I was disgruntled Eagles supporter.
I barrack for Collingwood Tony CollingWOOD the greatest team of the CentURY.

Yeah Tony its Merv , Merv from Moorabin. Massive how are ya

Its Sstan Tony now I want to complain that the kick credited to R Harvey Sst Kilda was actually kicked by N Harvey.

Love them all

Some of the regular participants used to come up with the most outrageous names for their 'factions'.

2 of my favourites were:

'Commence Nuclear Testing at the Western Oval Faction' and

'Come On you Silly Plaster Bulldog; Make my day! Faction'

there was that women who was in love with Tony and kept making lewd suggestions during talkback calls...

Good old Helen from Healesville.

"Remember Tony, you saw me at the bar"
"Yes..."
"And then...we had a drink together"
"Yes...."
"And then......you offered to drive me home"
"Ye.....yes....."
"And then......we got in the spa together!"
"Ye......NO!!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne from the Wantirna what they got out there is brilliant. Also a big fan of Sam the sub-editor.

Have been a listener since it first year on RRR. Showing my age.

Even have a copy of Guru Bob's book. Had it signed by Greg one day at the MCG after an OB.

I like Guru Bob when he works footy jargon into historical events.

"And as Guru Hudu said about General Custer's army, who marched blindly into certain death....'well, that just sums up their afternoon'. ha ha ha, have a think about that one!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back