Autopsy Rate Our 2014 Draft Class

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see us NOT picking a mature age ruckman as a rookie 'just in case'. Our rookie list of Gray, Russell and Logan is looking pretty meh...
Love Logan to bits but I would have liked to pick up someone like Glenn in the main draft... oh well what would we know.
Am not seeing anyone on the rookie list that I would be confident of seeing on the list in 12 months and can't see us bringing in a "Insurance" ruck would still love Glenn there but McGrath would do as well. Just not seeing a spare ruck out there that would be a better option than our 6th choice ruck option currently on the list. There are genuine midfield options out there that could be of value though.

Am not seeing anyone on the rookie list that I would be confident of seeing on the list in 12 months and can't see us bringing in a "Insurance" ruck would still love Glenn there but McGrath would do as well. Just not seeing a spare ruck out there that would be a better option than our 6th choice ruck option currently on the list. There are genuine midfield options out there that could be of value though.

Brisbane drafted McGrath.

In relation to poor drafting I disagree.

We can afford speculative picks and we didn't need to sell our soul with trades and F.A because our list is still so young.

As long as those boys train hard we will naturally improve anyway. Macca ' s post a few pages back highlighting the depth we have is spot on.

I'm happy with our list balance.

I agree - we have enough big men - we should take one of Johansen, Glenn or Bampton.

What's the point of having 4 smalls on your rookie list? These days it's treated as an extension of your main list and another ruck would be much better for balance.

Lose a couple of mids we can back them up from the senior list. Lose a couple of rucks and we're in trouble.

A+ for this group.

Howie and Austin will be mid 20's before they really blossom into Westhoff type players (1 on each wing causing havoc), our 199cm Ruck in Frampton will be regarded the greatest ruck man of all time by the time he retires at 35, and Palmer has Ablett like abilities with a hint of Judd's explosiveness from the pack and Robbies ability to manoeuvre and create space in the packs.

A+ for this group.

Howie and Austin will be mid 20's before they really blossom into Westhoff type players (1 on each wing causing havoc), our 199cm Ruck in Frampton will be regarded the greatest ruck man of all time by the time he retires at 35, and Palmer has Ablett like abilities with a hint of Judd's explosiveness from the pack and Robbies ability to manoeuvre and create space in the packs.
You forgot these:rolleyes:;). But I do agree we did OK with what we had. Rarely do I agree with Jesper Feltup but he hit the button on the head saying these were picks done to extend our premiership window.

Given the wall of secrecy around Port these days I'm begininning to think KT is ex-KGB. Next time RussellEbertHandball talks to him he should drop in a random 'comrade' and see if KT says 'da?'. ;)

1. I might say g'day comrade next time I meet up with KT and watch his reaction.
2. My first thought was Kenny probably was asked what attributes he is looking for and being a no bullshit type of guy, but someone who gives nothing away probably said, they gotta be able to run and get their own ball, and the controversial one interprets that as they will all be hard running mids. look at the running ability of our 4 guys. they are no slouches either for speed + no endurance or ok speedy but very good endurance. so no BS from Kenny
3. I looked back at the Land of Giants thread and I wrote the following on 24th September
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-draft-the-land-of-the-giants.1042613/page-2#post-35300107

Kenny on 5AA this arvo said we will be going after 2 or 3 tall players this trading and drafting period. Reckon it might be 4.

#PH408

So it seems all our draftees have grown/are still growing according to Parker:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-27/minor-player-port-takes-longterm-view-at-draft

He lists Dougal as 199cm (up from 195cm), Austin as 197cm (up from 194cm) and Palmer as 191cm (up from 188cm). Wonder what they measure Frampton at?

These are the measurements that were in Inside Football's annual draft guide. I thought they got their stuff from the AFL and state combines. Its annoying me that we dont have definitive stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the highlights clips I don't think there's any way Howard is 199cm or Palmer is 191 (he barely looks 188) - sounds like a case of what Boti Nagy used to call the trans-Pacific shrink as US basketball imports often arrived a couple of inches shorter than their stated height. I could believe Austin is 197, he looks taller than his advertised 194. Frampton looks around the 199. Maybe he's 200 with a bit of extra product. ;)

I think we did the best we could with the picks we had. They seem like they are the most likely of making it of those late picks. They will all take years to develop and some may be rookie listed along the way but that is exactly what we needed. We have 10 guys already competing for a spot in the 22 - we didn't need to add another 4 immediately.

Looking at the highlights clips I don't think there's any way Howard is 199cm or Palmer is 191 (he barely looks 188) - sounds like a case of what Boti Nagy used to call the trans-Pacific shrink as US basketball imports often arrived a couple of inches shorter than their stated height. I could believe Austin is 197, he looks taller than his advertised 194. Frampton looks around the 199. Maybe he's 200 with a bit of extra product. ;)

Yeh, was weird Parker saying Palmer is "about 191cm" whereas he was definitive in stating the other two's (increased) height. Makes sense with his vision of Howard playing through the ruck though as it's really out of the question in the AFL if you're only 195cm (unless you possess a freak leap/athleticism, Ryder style).

Emma Quayle's summary of Port
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...4-how-did-your-club-fare-20141128-11wdim.html
PORT ADELAIDE
The Power honed in on some height, with Billy Frampton one of just two pure ruckmen selected and someone they can spend a bit of time on given Paddy Ryder's arrival. Dougal Howard knows how to present as a key forward target, and Logan Austin could play at either end. That both those players came from the Giants Academy – GWS chose not to nominate them – indicates how the northern academies could ultimately help every team find more players.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...4-how-did-your-club-fare-20141128-11wdim.html

After leaving Chad for pick 6, not taking Ollie with picks 1,2 or 3 + trading Hombsch and Neade fro only pick 29, then last year doing the deal to swapping 14 and other picks for 21 + 22 so we could get Polec and still get Impey, have they given us another gift or two????

#PH408

We scored the lowest ranking in this analysis http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-afl-draft-gradings/
Worth noting though that none of our draftees had profiles written about them on that particular website. No wonder they called our selections left field.

Yeah well BFG strikes me as a work experience kid's project. Pretty sure that the kid who 'graded' our draft doesn't know a great deal about Port Adelaide.

REH's signature quote "We need big bodied, big arsed warriors with a healthy dose of mongrel, who are ruthless and brave"... we know we got the first half here, now we just need to find out about their mongrel and bravery. They're off to Dubai so we'll learn soon enough. But as an acknowledge draft dummy, I'm quite pleased with the players we have picked up.

Not understanding the ruck hatred in the draft to be honest. Only Hawthorn and Port drafted a real ruckman. WTF?

Jourdan Canil's (the reviewer) phantom draft had us taking Aidan Anderson, a tricky small forward because apparently we don't have enough of those, Caleb Daniel who was gone and probably not on our radar anyway, and Kade Answerth another medium mid who he described as having a low ceiling, poor athletic qualities and disposal issues.

If we had drafted those 3 it might have given us a higher score but infuriated supporters (Daniel aside).

so last year we lost our 2 key defenders, and we didnt bring any tall in at all to replace them. this off season we have recruited all talls.

what does that say of the talls that didnt get a call up

so last year we lost our 2 key defenders, and we didnt bring any tall in at all to replace them. this off season we have recruited all talls.

what does that say of the talls that didnt get a call up
They weren't ready

Remove this Banner Ad

Back