We gained:

Bennell MF
Tucker SD
Balic SF
Collins TD/TF
Yarran SF
Uebergang TD/TF
Nyhuis SD

Overall I think we improved our list. It was a good result.

Obviously McPharlin is the big loss and we would have liked one of the highly rated talls in the draft or got McCarthy but because of our low draft position we were always up against it.

Bennell we know can play and I think we can be confident that Yarran has what it takes.

Balic and Tucker are two highly rated players who slipped because of injury plagued 2015 - like Langdon.

Collins and Uebergang look to have to tools necessary to make it.

I think we should be enthusiastic for the future.

Obviously its very very early to say how we went but I would say on potential alone we have done really well. We have added a lot to our backline in Tucker, Collins and Nyhaus (cant remember the spelling), we've added X factor in Bennell, Yarran and Balic and we have added a KPF in Ubergang. We definitely have a lot of depth in mids, running backs and forwards now. Of course we would have loved to get a highly rated KPF with one of our earlier picks but there was none that were rated around at our picks so we cant really be angry at that. I feel that we have got two KPPs in Collins and Ubergang that have the tools to have a good crack at a career.

I give us a B+

Whilst we didn't secure the monster key forward or back that we were hoping to sure us up for the next 10 yrs - I think we did enough to improve our list and add depth in areas to challenge our bottom 6

I think we have added 1-2 players that should step straight into our 22, with the others maybe sneaking a game or 2.

Will be a tough year for the selectors and I'm looking forward to it

I give us a B+

Whilst we didn't secure the monster key forward or back that we were hoping to sure us up for the next 10 yrs - I think we did enough to improve our list and add depth in areas to challenge our bottom 6

I think we have added 1-2 players that should step straight into our 22, with the others maybe sneaking a game or 2.

Will be a tough year for the selectors and I'm looking forward to it
I will give a near A, so B++.

We cleared out some dead wood and replaced it with some very promising young talent. Bennell and to a lesser extent Yarran improve our 22 almost immediately you would think. Would have been an amazing period if we'd got McCarthy, but as it stands it was just very good. A- as opposed to A+.

A- from me all very balanced, pressure in all positions, speculative talls to certain extent but all look like good prospects. :thumbsu:

If we can get McCarthy and/or Hogan next trade period we're sitting with a young and very balanced list
With Ross game plan mix with assistant former hawthorn player, maybe we will rock out till the end in 2016 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bennell is the big plus for the midfield and Yarran is good news . We have picked up a couple of players in Balic and Tucker that we didn't expect to last in the draft .As for the rest its a mixed bag and always full of possibilities so its a B+ for me .

When I look at each individual selection I feel satisfied that the club got the best value for what was available and significantly improved our list. Importantly we improved some weak areas such as speed and skill in transition, and defense, especially small/medium defenders and potential KPD. Critically, we have added some goal scoring firepower, albeit not from the coveted boot of a KPF.

A

C For our recruitment team I'm afraid. Bennel fell into our laps, no work required. We've picked up 2 sliders, again, through nothing of our own doing. We have added a few unknown talls in the hope one of them pays off. Let's just say that hopefully one of them does... In my view adding one quality tall would have constituted a successful off season for the recruiters and they haven't done that.

If we are talking specifically about the players we have added I would say B+. We did well with what we had at the draft and Bennel could be anything.

Im delighted. I like that we picked up two tall defenders, one that looks strong and the other quick and agile. And then we also grabbed two half backs which I think was a good idea. Another mid sized forward who will put immediate pressure on ballas/walters/mayne, competition which will help drive them. Then we grabbed Bennell who we could confidently slot in anywhere from half back to playing as a small forward depending on what we need. Balic, no idea where he will play, if he turns into a quality half forward I will be pretty happy.

Really key forward is our biggest deficiency, but the club went after a great young one so I cant fault their effort, I wont mark them down aince they gave it a crack without much to trade. And who knows what will happen next year.

Its early days but we are clearly building the list in the right way.

C For our recruitment team I'm afraid. Bennel fell into our laps, no work required. We've picked up 2 sliders, again, through nothing of our own doing. We have added a few unknown talls in the hope one of them pays off. Let's just say that hopefully one of them does... In my view adding one quality tall would have constituted a successful off season for the recruiters and they haven't done that.

If we are talking specifically about the players we have added I would say B+. We did well with what we had at the draft and Bennel could be anything.

Bennell required more work than most would give credit for.

More mature agers than any other draft I can remember. Gives hope to the lads who missed out this year.

Picked up 2 KPD's without adding to the tall forwards by the looks. I have a sneaking suspicion we're playing the long game and we're banking on the McCarthy trade at the end of this year.

So looking at the list we go in with 39 players and our full allotment of rookies?

Im tipping Uebergang or Mora to get a promotion depending on preseason performances.

Uebers I think may be able to step in to the 22 and challenge Tabs for his position, Yarran possibly challenging Mayne, Collins and A Pearce fighting it out for that KPD spot. I guess Hughes will be in line to play too with his rookie promotion. Preseason form will dictate a lot I think as we shake things up a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back