Dinga_19

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Where do people rate their best Geelong players that they have seen? Interested to see where the current crop compare with players of the past.

1. Ablett Snr
2. Ablett Jnr
3. Mathew Scarlett
4. Corey Enright
5. Joel Selwood
6. Jimmy Bartel
7. Garry Hocking
8. Steve Johnson
9. Bill Brownless
10. Paul Couch

I did a top 10 but you can do however many you want. Keep favourites out of it. I just want who you think were the best. Wasn't easy..

Where do people rate their best Geelong players that they have seen? Interested to see where the current crop compare with players of the past.

1. Ablett Snr
2. Ablett Jnr
3. Mathew Scarlett
4. Corey Enright
5. Joel Selwood
6. Jimmy Bartel
7. Garry Hocking
8. Steve Johnson
9. Bill Brownless
10. Paul Couch

I did a top 10 but you can do however many you want. Keep favourites out of it. I just want who you think were the best. Wasn't easy..

I have seen at least another 20 who were better than Billy Buffoon, 12 from the 60s alone.

I have seen at least another 20 who were better than Billy Buffoon, 12 from the 60s alone.

Wasn't around that long ago! Early memories of Bill were that he was a very good player in a difficult position on the ground for an extended period of time. Opened up a game with his pack marking and his unselfish play was vital to the teams success

Perhaps Dinga isn't an old coot like you are Fred :D
Some of us weren't born when TV* wasn't colour.

BTW just as not to upset meto,TV = television,not Travis Varcoe

Perhaps Dinga isn't an old coot like you are Fred :D
Some of us weren't born when TV wasn't colour.
wait... TV was not always color?!?!?

WTF

Go Catters

I'm too young to have seen many of the obvious ones play, so most of my list would be top 10 from around 2000-2013, and even then my memory of the early 2000s is a little hazy...as it would be, having been a toddler at the time.

Best that I've seen
1. Scarlett
2. Enright
3. Ling (best tagger of all time)
4. Ablett (reached close to his peak at Geelong, but not at the level he is today God no)
5. Bartel
6. Johnson
7. Ottens
8. Selwood
9. Chapman
10. Milburn

HM: Corey, Egan, Mooney because he was clearly the main forward target in our dominant era

Kelly and Hawkins would be in there if they were more dominant from the early stages of their careers

Snr
Jnr (getting better with age)
Scarlett
Bartel
Enright (no better or no worse with age)
Johnson (getting better with age)
Buddha
Chapman
Lingy
Couch

So hard to do this. Taking only recent players - since say 2000.

Scarlett
Ablett Jr (because he left before he played enough games for us to go ahead of Scarlett)
Enright
Chapman
Bartel
SJ
Ling
Mooney
Milburn
Harry Taylor (on the move upwards).

PS. If older players were included Budda would definitely get a high rating - and Billy B. would not. Great club man but only a so-so player. Stoneham a better player IMO.

Wait....there was always TV?

I'm with you Fred - can remember getting our first tv. Same day as we got a new briquette heater. My sister sat in front of the wrong one waiting for the Tarax show to come on .....

I'd have Billy Goggin & Doug Wade on that list.

I'm with you Fred - can remember getting our first tv. Same day as we got a new briquette heater. My sister sat in front of the wrong one waiting for the Tarax show to come on .....

I'd have Billy Goggin & Doug Wade on that list.

Yeah, remember those 2 arrivals as well. :D
I am not going to try to pick my top 10, but I will say......

POLLY IS NO.1 OR NO. 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best I've seen play

1. Gary Ablett Snr.
2. Matthew Scarlett.
3. Michael Turner
4. Gary Ablett jnr. (based on his time at Geelong not where he is at now which is clearly the best in the AFL.)
5. Gary Hocking
6. Paul Couch
7. Corey Enright
8. Ian Nankervis
9. Jimmy Bartel
10. Steve Johnson

The likes of Goggin, Newman, Wade etc played when I was pretty young so my memory is patchy about them. I remember Wade more for his stint at North Melbourne than playing at Geelong.

Players like: 'Scratcher' Neal, Bruce Nankervis, Mark Bairstow, Mark Yeates, Bazza Stoneham, Billy Brownless, Ben Graham, Ken Hinkley, Peter Riccardi, Cam Ling, Paul Chapman, Pops Kelly, Terry Bright, Gary & David Malarkey, Ray Card, Neville Bruns, Mark Bos, 'The rat' Bews, Steve Hocking, Micky Mansfield, Brenton Sanderson, Ronnie Burns, Stephen King, Glen Kilpatrick, Dasher Milburn, Wojo, Tom Harley, Joel Corey, Cameron Mooney, Andrew Mackie, Harry Taylor, Joel Selwood, and so on. All hovering under my top 10 and have been great servants of the club. Champions all and I have really enjoyed watching them play over the years.

Best I've seen play

1. Gary Ablett Snr.
2. Matthew Scarlett.
3. Michael Turner
4. Gary Ablett jnr. (based on his time at Geelong not where he is at now which is clearly the best in the AFL.)
5. Gary Hocking
6. Paul Couch
7. Corey Enright
8. Ian Nankervis
9. Jimmy Bartel
10. Steve Johnson

The likes of Goggin, Newman, Wade etc played when I was pretty young so my memory is patchy about them. I remember Wade more for his stint at North Melbourne than playing at Geelong.

Players like: 'Scratcher' Neal, Bruce Nankervis, Mark Bairstow, Mark Yeates, Bazza Stoneham, Billy Brownless, Ben Graham, Ken Hinkley, Peter Riccardi, Cam Ling, Paul Chapman, Pops Kelly, Terry Bright, Gary & David Malarkey, Ray Card, Neville Bruns, Mark Bos, 'The rat' Bews, Steve Hocking, Micky Mansfield, Brenton Sanderson, Ronnie Burns, Stephen King, Glen Kilpatrick, Dasher Milburn, Wojo, Tom Harley, Joel Corey, Cameron Mooney, Andrew Mackie, Harry Taylor, Joel Selwood, and so on. All hovering under my top 10 and have been great servants of the club. Champions all and I have really enjoyed watching them play over the years.
Ablett Jnr was clearly the best in the afl at Geelong. He has 3 mvps playing at Geelong. Turner must of been amazing. Was he the best player in the Vfl for atleast 3 seasons.

Ablett Jnr was clearly the best in the afl at Geelong. He has 3 mvps playing at Geelong. Turner must of been amazing. Was he the best player in the Vfl for atleast 3 seasons.
Turner was just amazing to watch play. I wore his number on my back as a youngster. Gary jnr got a lot of support from team mates when he became a great midfielder at our club so I take that into consideration. I think Gazza jnr is a better player today than he was at Geelong, but while close he was never Geelong's best player when he played for us. . But it's all just opinion.

Yeah, remember those 2 arrivals as well. :D
I am not going to try to pick my top 10, but I will say......

POLLY IS NO.1 OR NO. 2.
The criteria of the list is 'Best you've seen play' so unless you are like 60 that is unlikely for most people who use this board to be able to put him number 1 on this list.

Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.
Gary Ablett Snr.