Rate the best Geelong players you have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

I often wonder just how good he could have been had he not broken his leg in 1994?
If you can remember back, he had a lot of issues with the healing process. Went back for multiple surgeries and missed the entire 1995 season. He was still a very solid footballer when he returned but there is no doubt he lost a good deal of mobility. Every key statistic dropped and prior to the broken leg, he was regarded as one of the premier centre half forwards in the game.
Just about at the peak of his powers in this match:

I'm all for bumps but this was a weird one. A more than two year bump to congratulate a supporter on his view on players long retired.
There is an explanation Seeds.
Doing some "research" on our players for the other thread and got led to this one. Started reading through the comments, and liked the one I quoted, given a NM fan rated GAS- not just a player- as the GOAT. Very commendable.

To not have Stoneham or S.Johnson in that list just shows you have very poor football knowledge. But then again you rate M.Brown so that was already obvious. Its a travesty to the likes of Johnson, Hocking, Chapman if the Geelong football public rate Corey Enright as a better play after what they have contributed across their careers. A travesty

God this is the worst comment of the year so far. Congratulations. I seriously hope this is a joke.

Enright is rated as one of the best, if not THE BEST medium defender of all time. I dont know what you've been watching the last decade but there's a big reason he'll probably become our club games record holder. Dead set Jet!

Last edited:

His control of the ball was uncanny for a KF. Great power footballer. That's the Stoneham I like to remember, like his game v Dogs in 92 finals. He made Jakovich look like a hack.

His control of the ball was uncanny for a KF. Great power footballer. That's the Stoneham I like to remember, like his game v Dogs in 92 finals. He made Jakovich look like a hack.

I've said a few times on this board that his game v Doggies in '92 QF was one of the best games by a Geelong player I've had the pleasure of watching ..

In all fairness, Jakovich was 19... and he played for WCE.

In all fairness, Jakovich was 19... and he played for WCE.
Bad paraphrasing on my part. We were discussing the game on video where Stoneham killed Jakovich, AND I likened it to his game against the Dogs a year earlier.

God this is the worst comment of the year so far. Congratulations. I seriously hope this is a joke.

Enright is rated as one of the best, if not THE BEST medium defender of all time. I dont know what you've been watching the last decade but there's a big reason he'll probably become our club games record holder. Dead set Jet!
I agree with the bit about Mitch Brown but the rest is rubbish!

That's some kind of feat, given that post was made in August 2013...

I was around 10 this game... god I realise watching that how much as a kid I under appreciated players actual skills.. watch Barnesy run onto his left so often with ease was remarkable..

Also so many players with their socks up :hearts:

I was around 10 this game... god I realise watching that how much as a kid I under appreciated players actual skills.. watch Barnesy run onto his left so often with ease was remarkable..

Also so many players with their socks up :hearts:
I remember sitting in the front row of a final at the MCG in the early 90s (I think v Footscray) at around that age and being amazed being able to witness it up close. The strength and speed combined with the skill level was breathtaking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks catempire, great footage. Everything said about Stoneham is spot on, without that injury he would have been remembered as one of the greatest half forwards ever, not just at Geelong. His medical mismanagement-how can you not know that pain several days after surgery is an infection that is medicine 101- but somehow no-one did.
So sad that talented team did not win a premiership- Couch one of the best kicks ever, Barnes always a winner, Stoneham solid, running from Riccardi but still able to take my breath away, one G Ablett, that last mark and kick is extraordinary for anyone let alone a 31yr old.

Best I have seen:

1. Ablett Senior
2. Polly Farmer (admittedly I was only 8 when I saw him)
3. Matthew Scarlett
4. Ablett Junior
5. Buddha Hocking
6. Doug Wade
7. Steve Johnson
8. Jimmy Bartel
9. David Clarke
10. Joel Selwood (has been amazing for Geelong since he debuted in 2007)

I often wonder just how good he could have been had he not broken his leg in 1994?
If you can remember back, he had a lot of issues with the healing process. Went back for multiple surgeries and missed the entire 1995 season. He was still a very solid footballer when he returned but there is no doubt he lost a good deal of mobility. Every key statistic dropped and prior to the broken leg, he was regarded as one of the premier centre half forwards in the game.
Geelong fitness team were idiots. They tried to get him back for the Finals in 94. Shocking move.

So I am a huge Jimmy fan but surprised but how highly he's rated in this thread. Amazing clutch player but he's probably only the 6th or 7th best player of the last decade IMO.

I'm ambivalent about this.

There's no doubt he was never the same player after the broken leg. But he had already played 150 plus games, and was in his 9th season when it happened. I think his legacy may have been better, but I think he was already as good as he was going to get.

Did Stoneham ever tear apart a final? He had some good finals - one against the Dogs was probably his best but I can't recall him ever being dominant in a final as we saw Carey, Brereton and Hart. For those saying he could have been one of the greats, I'm not quite so sure. Mind you, when you have the bloke who's the best in history in the same forward line, perhaps it's hard to stand out?

Did Stoneham ever tear apart a final? He had some good finals - one against the Dogs was probably his best but I can't recall him ever being dominant in a final as we saw Carey, Brereton and Hart. For those saying he could have been one of the greats, I'm not quite so sure. Mind you, when you have the bloke who's the best in history in the same forward line, perhaps it's hard to stand out?

Plus the truth is, his output as a centre half forward wasn't outstanding. Believe it or not, he only kicked 223 goals in his entire career (by comparison, Carey kicked 210 from 1994-1996 alone, and Kernahan kicked 233 in 1992-1994 alone). He definitely spent more time in other positions, but when your best return in a year as a goalkicker is only 39 goals, you're not near the greats in that position.

Plus the truth is, his output as a centre half forward wasn't outstanding. Believe it or not, he only kicked 223 goals in his entire career (by comparison, Carey kicked 210 from 1994-1996 alone, and Kernahan kicked 233 in 1992-1994 alone). He definitely spent more time in other positions, but when your best return in a year as a goalkicker is only 39 goals, you're not near the greats in that position.

Have to say that I'm in your court re Stoneham. I watched a lot of games in that period and whilst rating Stoneham as a very good player - he just wasn't dominant enough consistently to be compared to Brereton, Kernahan, Carey etc. He had games where he showed that he could be at that level - but perhaps only a few times a season. The other guys were impacting games far more regularly.

Stoneham was regularly used as Mr. Fixit and ruck, CHB,CHF were shared as his spots. The finals v Dogs were exceptional.
He was not Carey as CHF but Carey was never asked to ruck or defend either.
We overused Stoneham

So I am a huge Jimmy fan but surprised but how highly he's rated in this thread. Amazing clutch player but he's probably only the 6th or 7th best player of the last decade IMO.

He was incredibly important and quite good during our glory years. Others were better though

His CV is impressive though.

Brownlow Medal 2007
Norm Smith Medal 2011
AFL Premiership 2007, 2009, 2011
All-Australian Team 2007, 2008

Few better over the journey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back