Rate the best Geelong players you have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

God this is the worst comment of the year so far. Congratulations. I seriously hope this is a joke.

Enright is rated as one of the best, if not THE BEST medium defender of all time. I dont know what you've been watching the last decade but there's a big reason he'll probably become our club games record holder. Dead set Jet!
Lol the worst comment of the year so far was a comment from three years ago. Enright is rated as one of the best medium defenders of the game. Fully agree. Stoneham and Johnson were both better players though. Both those players at points in their career were close to the best player in the competition (Johnson 09 and Stoneham in the early 90s). Enrights never been in the top 20 at any point in his career.

Lol the worst comment of the year so far was a comment from three years ago. Enright is rated as one of the best medium defenders of the game. Fully agree. Stoneham and Johnson were both better players though. Both those players at points in their career were close to the best player in the competition (Johnson 09 and Stoneham in the early 90s). Enrights never been in the top 20 at any point in his career.
Says who?

Johnson's first half of 2009 was great, but his only problem was his teammate - one G.Ablett - was even better.

We disagree over Stoneham. He was good, but he wasn't that good, and a bit like Johnson, he had a teammate called Ablett who was on another level.

Johnson's first half of 2009 was great, but his only problem was his teammate - one G.Ablett - was even better.

We disagree over Stoneham. He was good, but he wasn't that good, and a bit like Johnson, he had a teammate called Ablett who was on another level.
When rating players I think you need to disregard the media, who will always vote mid-fielders and forwards best as that is "sexy". Look at club best and fairest results and backmen are often rated for the tireless and often unrecognised work. Football is a team game and requires depth in all positions, so even all Australian results should be considered.

When rating players I think you need to disregard the media, who will always vote mid-fielders and forwards best as that is "sexy". Look at club best and fairest results and backmen are often rated for the tireless and often unrecognised work. Football is a team game and requires depth in all positions, so even all Australian results should be considered.

Don't dispute any of that. But my personal view is that Johnson was never even the equal of Ablett after 2007 (no one else was either), and Stoneham wasn't even the best player at Geelong let alone in the competition.

I'm not sure why you think I'd be influenced by the media when forming my opinions either.

Don't dispute any of that. But my personal view is that Johnson was never even the equal of Ablett after 2007 (no one else was either), and Stoneham wasn't even the best player at Geelong let alone in the competition.

I'm not sure why you think I'd be influenced by the media when forming my opinions either.
I actually agree with you on both players , my comments were meant to be general.

His CV is impressive though.

Brownlow Medal 2007
Norm Smith Medal 2011
AFL Premiership 2007, 2009, 2011
All-Australian Team 2007, 2008

Few better over the journey.

Im going to say something controversial about Bartel

Before i say it - his performance in the 2011 GF was 1st class - him and Selwood that day were both magnificent - especially in the 2nd qtr - when the pressure was right on- trailing by 3 goals - " old Geelong teams " would have crumbled under that pressure - but those 2 made sure that didnt happen and were instrumental in the win

However over the holiday break - i have watched a stack of Geelong games( about 15) - those guest columist games - if you go back to the 2007-2009 period - the 1st thing that stands out is how slow Bartel is - how unathletic he was - like to be honest he looks just a player thats it

You contrast that to guys at that time like Kelly Mackie Ablett Joel Corey Enright Wojo Johnson - the list is nearly endless - at their peak they were absolute jets

Any of the above im convinced would have been very good players if they had been drafted and played in a poor/weak team during their career - however im not convinced Bartel would have been a top line player at a weak /poor team - i think he would have been an ok player and thats it

As for his Brownlow medal ( how Ablett didnt win it is a joke - Garry won the Geelong B and F) - its a bit like like when Keth Greig won his 2nd Brownlow - i dont think he finished in Norths top five in the B and F

As for his Brownlow medal ( how Ablett didnt win it is a joke - Garry won the Geelong B and F) - its a bit like like when Keth Greig won his 2nd Brownlow - i dont think he finished in Norths top five in the B and F

I think it was pretty simple. Both had great seasons, but when it came to the Brownlow, Bartel got the 3s and Ablett got 1s.

Quite good? Seriously underrating him IMO....he was very very good.

Alright then. What did/do you think of him?
I know that he was a massively important contributor; after 07/08 as one of the premier midfielders he was pushed to the back of the queue but still played his role for the club, week in week out.

He obviously was held in very high standings by the coaching staff and players around him because he was used primarily used from 2009 on as a 'Mr. Fix-It'

Im going to say something controversial about Bartel

Before i say it - his performance in the 2011 GF was 1st class - him and Selwood that day were both magnificent - especially in the 2nd qtr - when the pressure was right on- trailing by 3 goals - " old Geelong teams " would have crumbled under that pressure - but those 2 made sure that didnt happen and were instrumental in the win

However over the holiday break - i have watched a stack of Geelong games( about 15) - those guest columist games - if you go back to the 2007-2009 period - the 1st thing that stands out is how slow Bartel is - how unathletic he was - like to be honest he looks just a player thats it

You contrast that to guys at that time like Kelly Mackie Ablett Joel Corey Enright Wojo Johnson - the list is nearly endless - at their peak they were absolute jets

Any of the above im convinced would have been very good players if they had been drafted and played in a poor/weak team during their career - however im not convinced Bartel would have been a top line player at a weak /poor team - i think he would have been an ok player and thats it

Bartel was the outstanding player of 2007, statistically comfortably.
Go and get the 2007 Premiership DVD pack and watch the season highlights, he was brilliant.
Ablett didn't win the Brownlow because he simply wasn't as good, the fact he won the B&F (with Bartel missing 2 games mind you) is irrelevant, far too many people have clouded memories of Abletts 2007 based purely on his form since, he wasn't "great" until 2/3rds of the way through the year and really become the best in 2008.

Last edited:
...I was lucky enough to be right in front of the contest in the forward pocket in the 1989 GF when in the last quarter he went up and plucked the ball from a boundary throw in and slammed it through for a goal. I had never seen anything better than that before nor have I seen better since. Sadly the Cats lost that game. (Not that I need to tell anyone here that. :oops:)

Footballers like him, you just wish they could go on an on forever.

I saw some wonderful players in the 60's. Farmer, Goggin, Wade, Sharrock, Wooller to mention. The Lord twins were pretty handy too.
I was in Sydney watching it on TV with a mate and WTF! I saw it and did not believe it, my mate asked "Did he just jump over the ruckman and kick it over his head?" to which I said "Yeah, it appears he was actually intending to kick that through for a goal". Still one of the most amazing things I have seen in footy, should have been a contender for Goal of the Century, especially when you consider the game; a Grand final, and the state of play; mid way through the second quarter with the Cats coming back being 6 goals down at quarter time.

Go and get the 2007 Premiership DVD pack and watch the season highlights, he was brilliant.
Ablett didn't win the Brownlow because he simply wasn't as good, the fact he won the B&F (with Bartel missing 2 games mind you) is irrelevant, far too many people have clouded memories of Abletts 2007 based purely on his form since, he wasn't "great" until 2/3rds of the way through the year and really become the best in 2008.

Just curious, but what of Bartel's 2008 season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just curious, but what of Bartel's 2008 season?

Funnily enough going by stats improved over his 2007 year, although by then I think Ablett had well and truly over taken him (and everyone else) and Selwood was catching, so although he "improved" it wasn't by a great amount.
Was interesting while comparing Bartel to Ablett over their careers statistically he stacks up very well against him, slightly down on disposals (although more kicks than GAJ), goals and clearances but up on marks, contested marks, tackles etc.

The match committee didnt have clouded memories of Abletts 2007 - he absolutely bolted in the B and F from a group of 5 other players ( including Bartel)

2007 B F Votes

Ablett 691 Votes

Bartel 513 Ling 502 Milburn 474 Scarlett 473 Corey 468

Plus Ablett won the AFLPA in 2007

Ablett and Bartel right throughout their careers there was a massive gap between the 2 mate

Funnily enough going by stats improved over his 2007 year, although by then I think Ablett had well and truly over taken him (and everyone else) and Selwood was catching, so although he "improved" it wasn't by a great amount.
Was interesting while comparing Bartel to Ablett over their careers statistically he stacks up very well against him, slightly down on disposals (although more kicks than GAJ), goals and clearances but up on marks, contested marks, tackles etc.

Interesting. I'd say that in 2008 he was still a top notch midfielder and was 2nd or 3rd best at the club.

The match committee didnt have clouded memories of Abletts 2007 - he absolutely bolted in the B and F from a group of 5 other players ( including Bartel)

2007 B F Votes

Ablett 691 Votes

Bartel 513 Ling 502 Milburn 474 Scarlett 473 Corey 468

Plus Ablett won the AFLPA in 2007

Ablett and Bartel right throughout their careers there was a massive gap between the 2 mate

Which gave Ablett the advantage of having played more games than Bartel.
Even then, and again, the result of the Brownlow has no relevance to the result of the B&F.
Also, massive gap IN YOUR OPINION, as I stated STATISTICALLY over their careers is extremely close.
That's a fact, not opinion.

Interesting. I'd say that in 2008 he was still a top notch midfielder and was 2nd or 3rd best at the club.

I agree.
IMO he was overtaken though from being the best at the club (until about 2/3rds of the way through 2007, from there I reckon Ablett took over anyway).
Like I said, he improved it just happened to be others improved more than he did, perhaps coinciding with a change of role?

It's not that clear cut. There are also two little Most Valuable Player awards, voted by the AFLPA (Players' award), and the ALFCA (Coaches' award).

Guess who won both in 2007? Hint: It wasn't Bartel.

I agree.
IMO he was overtaken though from being the best at the club (until about 2/3rds of the way through 2007, from there I reckon Ablett took over anyway).
Like I said, he improved it just happened to be others improved more than he did, perhaps coinciding with a change of role?

Yeah perhaps. I think his change of role following these two seasons ultimately affected his statistical prowess; but by no means his influence, which may have even increased

Yeah perhaps. I think his change of role following these two seasons ultimately affected his statistical prowess; but by no means his influence, which may have even increased

I reckon his "role" as Mr Fit-it following the 2009 season (culminating in the GF of course) affected his standing as a midfielder.
I'd argue he was one of the most influential players at the Cats during that period (along with guys like Scarlett, Ottens, Mooney and the usual suspects of Ablett, Chapman, Selwood et al).
Great player, perhaps never particularly brilliant but a great player none the less.

It's not that clear cut. There are also two little Most Valuable Player awards, voted by the AFLPA (Players' award), and the ALFCA (Coaches' award).

Guess who won both in 2007? Hint: It wasn't Bartel.

Absolutely, but I did use the word statistically, in which Bartel lead the competition.
Ablett was outstanding, Bartel just as much so and more consistent over the entire year (Ablett was one who required the leading teams then Chapman boot up the butt, Bartel less so).
That also played to Abletts favour come the AFLPA MVP as it was awarded over the entire year as a whole and in particular the players opinion at the end of the year, whereas the Brownlow was game by game (I'm not 100% sure how the CA was awarded back then, was it the same as now where it was game by game by both gameday coaches?).

Seriously overrating Stoneham IMO, as Partridge says above, was never even Geelongs best player let alone close to being best in the competition.
A very good player but not in the elite category.

Seriously overrating Stoneham IMO, as Partridge says above, was never even Geelongs best player let alone close to being best in the competition.
A very good player but not in the elite category.
Nah people have just forgotten how good he was pre broken leg. Watched a few games from the early nineties recently and he was unstoppable. Never seen big forwards since side step players the way he could. Some Neutral commentators back then were claiming he was in the top couple of players in the comp so it ain't just biased me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back