Rate the split round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

2/5, but only because of the laughs at the failures in the first week (including those my club copped)

without those results, I would have had SFA interest in this round

Footy fixturing should be like making a great mix tape:

You gotta kick off with a killer, to hold the attention. Then you have to take it up a notch, but not blow your wad, so maybe cool it off a notch, and you can't put the same artist twice on the tape, except if some subtle point or lesson or theme involved, and even then not the two of them in a row, and you can't woo somebody with Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" and then bash their head off with something like GBH's "City Baby Attacked by Rats," and... oh, there are a lot of rules.

You start the season with Thunderstruck, not some emo wah wah song!!

Round 2 a far better opener. This round could've been acceptable if it wasn't split, but still nothing great.

Next year will be all over the shop due to the cricket World Cup, but I don't think they'll be making this year's mistake again. Hopefully they have it sorted for the 2016 season.

Given the earlier start to the season, I actually think splitting the round was the right decision. Otherwise there would have been two rounds of small crowds to begin the season due to unavailability of the cricket grounds.

Looking ahead, rounds 2-3 and 5-7 look like big rounds for attendances (and round 4 about average).

It's perhaps worth noting that last season's first round was also split (two games first week, seven the second) and had a very high average attendance. Suggests the lower average this time round is more attributable to the chosen match-ups, not splitting of round, and these match-ups were chosen with ground availability in mind.

Whether the earlier start is worth it is another matter. Sometimes less is more, and this could apply to season length. On balance, I think it was probably worth it to have some early presence in NSW and QLD, but that opinion might need revising if the low-key nature of this round has a flow-on effect into crowds in round 2 and beyond.

I give the split round about minus 18,000 out of ten, but not necessarily the fact that the matches were spread over two weeks, or even the fact there were no blockbusters. My main beef is the pathetic scheduling by the AFL on the opening two Sundays of the season. Who, seriously, in their right mind would decide that on a Sunday, when there is only one match to be played, that it should be played at 7.40pm? It happened last week, when Carlton played Port at Etihad at 7.40pm, and yesterday, when West Coast played the Bulldogs at 4.40 western time, 7.40pm on the Eastern Seaboard. To me, it proves that the AFL has sold itself completely to pay television network Foxtel. OK, I can see that the hundreds of millions of dollars paid by the network is useful for the AFL, and, by paying this fee the network has the right to force the league to schedule matches where and when it wants them. But I believe this is very shortsighted by the league, and a compromise is essential. The future of any sport is children, specifically children who will fall in love with the game and, therefore, grow up to play it and support it. The best way for these children to become attached to footy is for them to see the game, preferrably at the ground, or on TV. Sorry, but I cannot take my kids out on a Sunday night, have them home after 11pm, and expect them to go off to school the next day ready to learn and play. Even if the game is on TV, they can also not stay up till after 10pm to see the end of it on a Sunday night. Both of these games should have been played in the afternoon, a time when kids have access to it. All I can assume is that the fixture people at the AFL are either, as I have suggested, completely at the whims of the pay TV network, or stupid, or both. At the very least, they do not have children themselves, and do not know anybody who does. Am I the only one who feels this way? Please tell me I am not. And please, do not bring out the well used line the AFL uses to justify itself, stating that the attendances for these ridiculously scheduled games are stll good.What a load of *%# this is. Adult footy fans will go to watch their team whenever they play, because they love their club and have no choice but to go along and watch at these stupid times we are forced to swallow these days. But, I'm sure you will find if you look into it, there are very few kids in attendance on a Sunday night. Come on AFL, wake up to yourselves.

This is purely a subjective viewpoint, but as a Richmond supporter, we've gone from opening the season with the first Vic game, against Carlton at the G in front of 70-80,000 to an away game on the GC.

Hard to get nearly as worked up over that. I said before the game that I viewed it as one more practice game (that just happened to be for premiership points) with the 'real' season starting on Thursday.

The AFL was between a rock and a hard place

They couldnt play blockbusters at small stadiums and didnt want to give the other codes a leg up so had to go with less appealing matches to fill in the two weeks.
At least those second rate games are out of the way so bring on the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back