Delisted Farren Ray

Remove this Banner Ad

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price          2010            2009            2008            2007      
                        DT      SC       Played DT Avg    SC Avg    Played DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
MID 22 RAY, Farren    24    125    $344,500 $393,900 25    82.9    80.9    25    87.3    94.0    13(WB)    73.8    64.5    20(WB)    65.9    62.8

Full Name: Farren Ray
Date Of Birth: 23 March 1986 (1986-03-23) (age 25)
Recruited From: Peel Thunder. Drafted by Western Bulldogs at Pick #4, 2003 AFL Draft.
Subsequently he was traded in 2008 to St Kilda along with draft pick #48 (3rd Round), for (our 2nd Round) draft pick #31.
Height: 187cm
Weight: 84kg
AFL Debut: Round 7, 2004

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/92470/default.aspx

“Ross (Lyon) has an amazing ability to get the most out of me and he has let me run on the wing and has given me the license to fulfill my role.”

Tony Elshaug has been great to me since moving to the Club.”

“When you play in the midfield with players like (Nick) Dal Santo, (Lenny) Hayes, (Leigh) Montagna, you are constantly developing your game. They are the best players in the competition and they demand the most from you.”

Farren is the next Lenny. Tall midfielder. A tad slow. Late developer. Courageous. Expect him to peak 27-30. I see him as a future skipper or vice.

Farren Ray #22

After playing 21 games last year and averaging 17.5 possessions, it was a little surprising to see Faz finish 20th in the B&F (well behind Dean Polo in 19th).

His contract situation was tenuous:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-cap-is-tight-but-stars-will-stay-20111010-1lgkj.html
Marty Pask "It's a frustrating time … there is no doubt that Farren wants to stay at St Kilda and that St Kilda wants to keep him. I suppose at the moment we’re putting our faith in the football club to help make that possible."

Ray had played 71 of a possible 74 games for the Saints since switching over from the Dogs.

Faz did re-sign. Chris Pelchen ... highlighted the commitment of the players who stayed with the club - almost certainly for less money. "Full credit to these guys and their managers because they were well across the situation and our restraints and they were supportive. There was no argy-bargy, no threats from them."

But the change of coach didn't seem to help much, and Ray was not selected for round 1 against Port. He did play (late change for Tom Ledger), but only as a sub.

He was sent to the VFL, playing 4 games - and was in the best twice, including a 33 possession game which saw him recalled for round 7 against Carlton.

This saw him play a blinder, with a complete blanketing of the red-hot Kade Simpson whilst accumulating 27 possessions. He received an almost maximum 9 votes from the two coaches.

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/default.aspx?newsid=135860
“I expect to be in the side and I expect to play football like tonight. I’m 26 now so I should be cemented in the side so I’ve really got to train well and play well.”

He played rounds 8-10 (17, 20 and 18 possessions) but again found himself back in the VFL for 4 weeks - where he showed strong form with 21, 28, 37 and 28 possessions (including a shot for the win against Casey which faded right - a trend I noticed with Faz's kicking for goal all year).

Recalled to the AFL for rounds 15-16 (one game as sub, the other generating 22 possesions), the merry-go-round continued and he was an emergency for rounds 17-18.

He was named for round 19, but pulled out at the last minute in round 20 (Ledger being a beneficiary this time).

He returned for rounds 21-23, finishing the season well with 24 possessions, 4 tackles and 6 inside 50s against GWS and 24 possessions and 6 marks against Carlton.

His final stats were (AFL) 11 games averaging 20.3 possessions (in games where he wasn't a sub) and (VFL) 10 games averaging 26 possessions.

Faz has now played more games with the Saints than the Dogs, and passed the 150 game milestone during the year.

images

Hey guys,

Apologies if this is a foolish question but what happened to this bloke?

I was doing some research for a completely unrelated topic and noticed that he was voted the third best player of the round (of all matches) in Rd 7 last season, behind only Watson and Sidebottom, on a realfooty poll.

I don't always follow the injury lists of other clubs so, as I said, if this is a foolish question (because he is out with a LTI or something) then I apologise.

#22 Farren Ray

It seems not everyone at the club was put off by some tough love, and Faz turned a difficult 2012 season into a very productive 2013.

In his 19 games, he ranked 6th for average disposals (21.3) and equal 4th for inside 50’s (3.8), and also averaged 5.8 marks and 2.4 tackles.

This resulted in his first top 10 B&F finish (9th) since arriving at the club five seasons ago.

Although the season actually didn’t start that well. A relatively poor game in R1 (19 possessions but struggled with his disposals/handling) was followed by missing R2 due to a hip injury, and he was quiet against Essendon in R4 (14 possessions and more disposal issues).

He was sent to the VFL and responded. Named in the best twice with 30 possessions and 29 possessions, he returned to the AFL team for the rest of the year – with consistency being a feature of his season from this point, only having less than 20 possessions 4 times (with 15 being the least in a game).

He had a blinder against Melbourne in R13 (a club reportedly interested in him last trade period) with 29 possessions, 2 goals, and 2 score assists. Although he also had strong games in the close loss against WC in R11 (23 possessions and 6 inside 50s) and touch-ups from North in R10 (25 possessions and 4 tackles) and Hawthorn in R20 (30 possessions, 4 tackles, and 5 inside 50s).

Faz is now an AFL veteran with 10 seasons and 176 games under his belt, and a good example for others (both in staying at the club for significantly less money when he could have played elsewhere, and also in persistence to lift his game to another level after so many years).

It probably won’t get any easier given the significant bolstering of the defence will hopefully free up players like Gilbert, Fisher and Roberton for rebounding roles (and young players like Webster starting to come through). But his resilience and adaptability might allow Ray to seamlessly step into another role.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-11-20/straight-shooter

I want to try and get forward from the wing and half-forward and kick some goals and get my attack indicators up,"

"I've always been a fairly defensive style player; I run a lot of defensive patterns and do a lot of my work across half-back.

"When Scott (Watters) came in a couple of years ago he identified that and said, 'I want you to be a bit more attacking'.

"The last couple of years I've worked on that, but he (Richardson) is going to challenge me offensively again, which will be good."

"I remember what it was like in 2003-04; if one of the older guys didn't come and talk to you, you thought they hated you,"

"I've played 10 years now and played a few games, so you have to set the tone for the group.

"If that's being in the leadership group then so be it, but if not I'm not going to lead any less.

"I'm still going to drive the group and try get us back to where we were."

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Ray:

He won 44% of his disposals in the defensive midfield last season - the second highest at the club.

Ranked 2nd at teh club for intercept possessions and 3rd in the AFL for intercept marks per game.

Collected 20 disposals in each of his first 9 matches and ranked 3rd at the club for CD ranking points but dropped off after the bye, ranking 8th.

He was an above average kick on his preferred foot, but recorded the worst kick rating of the top 20 players for kicks on their opposite side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Farren.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-10-30/saints-make-three-more-list-changes

ST KILDA has announced three further list changes ahead of the club’s first list lodgement on October 30.

Josh Saunders and Farren Ray have been removed from the Primary List, while Ahmed Saad has been removed from the Rookie List.

Still a chance to be picked up in the rookie draft, but I doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back