List Mgmt. RD #16 - The Krak is back...

Remove this Banner Ad

Geoff Parker addresses the recruiting team prior to the rookie draft

Now Kenny can threaten Pittard's position with the Krak. Accountability.

*this post may contain elements of intentional poking of the bear.
don_t_poke_the_bear_by_csys_279-d4ea47d.png

I would like to see Ken throw him up forward at times to, he has an X factor about him that can change things quickly!
He was played as a KP forward pretty much the entire SANFL GF. Our highest scorer.

Who are these small defenders? Impey is the only one i can think of who plays genuine small. Byrne jones is still much too skinny for his role. Him being 27 can be seen as advantage due to his bigger body maturiy and arguably his experience. Would you rather throw amon or s gray in the forward pocket instead of him? Nah. Realistically id have him in the 23-27 depth range

the small defenders are:- Matthew Broadbent, Tom Jonas, Jasper Pittard, Cameron O'Shea then their is Impey, Bryce Jones, Flynn, Russell (P. Stewart can also play small in defence).

Now Krak wont get games ahead of - Broadbent, Jonas, Pittard, O'Shea (we could also put P. Stewart also in defence if needed) ....
The jury is out if he will be ahead of Logan (so that is 5 maybe 6 small defenders who will have to be ahead of Krak in getting a game in defence)...
Remember we have to get game time into Impey...
but as you mentioned Bryce Jones, Flynn and Russell are now behind Krak

As for the forward lines ..

the small forwards are:- Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Angus Monfries, Aaron Young, Jake Neade, Jesse Palmer, Sam Gray (rookie),
Johann Wagner (category b rookie).

Now Krak wont get games ahead of - Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Angus Monfries ...
P. Stewart can also play small in the forward lines (and Krak wont be ahead of him)
The jury is out if he will be ahead of Young .... (so that is 4 maybe 5 small forwards getting a games in the forward lines ahead of Krak)
we also need to get game time into Neadey ...
but Krak would be ahead of Palmer, Sam Gray and Johann Wagner

the small defenders are:- Matthew Broadbent, Tom Jonas, Jasper Pittard, Cameron O'Shea then their is Impey, Bryce Jones, Flynn, Russell (P. Stewart can also play small in defence).

Now Krak wont get games ahead of - Broadbent, Jonas, Pittard, O'Shea (we could also put P. Stewart also in defence if needed) ....
The jury is out if he will be ahead of Logan (so that is 5 maybe 6 small defenders who will have to be ahead of Krak in getting a game in defence)...

the small forwards are:- Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Angus Monfries, Aaron Young, Jake Neade, Jesse Palmer, Sam Gray (rookie),

Now Krak wont get games ahead of - Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Angus Monfries ...
P. Stewart can also play small in the forward lines (and Krak wont be ahead of him)
The jury is out if he will be ahead of Young .... (so that is 4 maybe 5 small forwards getting a games in the forward lines ahead of Krak)

I think you are pretty much spot-on here. I'm actually really happy with the decision to at least rookie the Krak. If we are going to assume that we are in the 'premiership window' we need to have players that have proven ability at a high level. Now, as much as I might think that Byrne-Jones, Impey etc and Neade are going to be solid players (with Impey and Neade having some absolutely outstanding games in the AFL, and Byrne-Jones having a really solid SANFL season), having a seasoned player like NK means that we have far more flexibility, and a great insurance policy if the coaches think that a more experienced player is required. I think this is exactly where the coaching staff have wanted to sure-up the side; the time for blooding young players is, in my opinion, not out of necessity in a preliminary final type game.

Over the past two seasons, we have lost Trengove for a considerable amount of time. His flexibility has meant that when he is out of the side, the structures that the players conform to is changed far more significantly than say if Boak was to miss a few games. This is not saying that Boak is 'replaceable' as such, just that we have players that can step in to his role, perhaps not perform as well, but the structures would not change that significantly. We have cleared that issue up with the recruitment of Ryder, as if Trengove is going to miss a game or two, we don't need to find a skilled half-back who can also take 15-25% of the ruck duties, we just need to find the half-back. Again, they aren't likely to be as good as Trengove, but the structure would remain relatively similar.

Now we come to NK. Last year, I personally thought that we were found somewhat lacking when Monfries was injured. Even when he was playing in the middle to later part of the season, you could tell that he was struggling. We missed his skill in the forward line. As much as Sam Gray shows in the SANFL, and as much as we all have a giant soft spot for him (you can tell he really puts the effort in), I don't think that he is an adequate replacement for the position that Monfries plays in the side. NK however meets those criteria - and, if hypothetically Monfries does another hamstring early next season, it would be great to say 'well, you can have 3 weeks off and come back, then have surgery at the end of the year, or you can have 5 weeks off and have the surgery now, and be primed for the finals' simply because we have NK who I believe can hold down that role. Similarly, he provides a quality alternative if Pittard has another injury riddled season, or if Broadbent/Jonas have a spate of injuries.

A lot of people on this page are just saying "What a bad choice - who's spot is he going to take?" Well, the answer is that he's not there to take someone's spot - he is there to sure up the side if, and only if, there are injury issues with the first-22 squad. I think it's a great selection - he has at least 3 years of football left in him (being 27 next season), and is the type of player that we can really rely on in a crunch situation.

I saw it more like this, of the players you listed; Broadbent Jonas pittard O'shea Gray wingard and monfries are all best 22. Krak wasn't recruited for anything more than depth. If one of these players get injured he will be first to be called up taking into account his form. Yes Paul stewart can play both ends but he doesn't have the same speed, decision making and disposal efficiency as Krak does and depending on the player out; say if pittard, Broadbent or o'shea were to get injured their roles are to rebound. I would be more confident having krak take their place. Jonas and impey play different roles in that they are sent to lock down an opponent and limit their roles, at times play off their man and provide rebound but not as much as pittard Broadbent and o'shea.

For forwards, I don't consider young a forward more a mid; he competes against Andrew moore for spots. Who says krak can't be ahead of paul stewart depending on form and the fact that stewart gets frequently injured? Stewart only played 4 games this year 3 against pretty bad sides (GWS, Melbourne twice) and performed pretty poorly against Collingwood

so for Krak to sit nicely in the back pocket what will you do with Jonas & Hombsch ????

I don't think that he will get much game time in defence ..

and I am sure he wont get much time in the forward lines (with Gray, Wingard and Monfries up forward)

Then its in between.
Cameo midfield bursts,
resting front or back
it matters not.
Poise and presence
he lurks with intent.
Watched him a lot this year
The Wingards and the Wines
will make him shine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll put it this way, I'd rather have Krak in the team filling holes than mitchell - much more flexibility and skill, just need to make sure his work ethic matches that of mitchell.

In that, I see it as a win
Agree. To round off our list, the perfect scenario was to add in some high ceiling but mature depth. As Kenny said today, to get a player of Krakouer's class and potential 2015 output in the rookie draft was a very good scenario.
Definitely worth a punt.
Increasingly happy about this, although intrigued as to how he injured himself in the off-season.

The risk-reward equation is about right here. We give up a rookie list spot and gain a player who has the potential to be anything he wants to be.

I still remember Krak bursting onto the scene in the first half of the 2007 season. He was the first of the 2006 draft crop to debut and showed immense and natural football talent even at that young age.

Tracking his progress over the next 12 months or so will be an interesting side show.

If Krak doesn't make the 22, then that means our 22 is really good, as Krak is quite a talented player, and he'll help us win the SANFL premiership.

If Krak does make the 22, then that means he has worked hard enough and we have honed his talent to AFL. He'd pretty much look like the rookie recruit of the year.

Win win, everybody wins.

Interesting that we lost Newton for nothing and in the same draft cycle gained Krakouer back. Full circles and all....
From memory the compo pick for losing Krakouer to GC was one of those picks we used for Newton or Young in the 2010 draft.
Picked up 35 and Simon Phillips for our second round compo. With the coming GCS(that year) and GWS concessions our second round compo was likely to be in the 40s. In 2011 our second round pick was pushed back by concessions, trades and priorities to 45. Not great for a team that finished 10th the year before. We did have a #28 pick that was traded to West Coast for Brad Ebert but that was not our regular pick but an end of round 1 priority pick.

Depth people.
Depth.

One query about our 2014 side was depth.

Ryder and Krakouer addresses this a bit better.

Im happy.

I think Krak is a good fit for our list profile but I am not thrilled about the press release saying he has an injured shoulder and thumb from an off-season incident. Off season incident doesn't have a great tone. Hopefully it doesn't stop him from getting fit and showing his best football.

edit. I don't mind that he has a few issues. I think it's good to have a range of personalities. I just want krak to get as fit as possible and give himself a chance to play good football.

Interesting that he was reported as injured by the club just prior to the draft and yet is still going to Dubai?;)

I would say Krak is ahead of P. Stewart for a forward spot. Even when given his chances last year, Stewart was, unimpressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back