Autopsy Rd 16 v Port Melbourne @ Punt Road - 1:10pm Sat 26/07/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Grigg 30 disposals 9 clearances 8 tackles 1 goal
Lennon 27 disposals 5 I50s
Griffiths 10 marks
McBean 2 goals
tigs2010 Nick Wynne 23 disposals(consistent performer)
Haha I did say I wanted to see him take 10 marks in a any game of which most are in the fwd line. Do we know how many of the 10 were in the fwd arc? Either way this is what I want to see from him. Good stuff.

Haha I did say I wanted to see him take 10 marks in a any game of which most are in the fwd line. Do we know how many of the 10 were in the fwd arc? Either way this is what I want to see from him. Good stuff.
would be nice if he kicked a few more goals to go with those 10 marks however. considering the no goals I'd wager he was floating higher up the ground. the only obvious replacement for vickery however.

I'm serious , if we had of dropped him after round 2 when we should of we'd have gotten over the doggies and still have a glimmer of hope, same with Sheds. I reckon Lloyd would of been good for 3 against the doggies and they would of never seen him coming .
Me too...playing/gifting game time to Grigg when he was seriously out of form impacted badly on the side and other players in the team including Hampson

Good to see us finally get a televised game.
Would of thought it would of happened before now.

The things I learnt from watching it was..
Grigg is a good outside player. That's what his role is and he is good at it.
Lennon will be a "Mackie" style player.
Griffiths will come in for Tyrone.
Mcbean needs to work on his hands. Then he will come in. He isn't ready ATM.
Helbig won't make it. What is his contract status?

I'd say 4-5 were in the forward 50, 2 more were just outside one he kicked a 60m bomb and missed the other he tried to hit up Orren but it was a poor kick. You'd rather him take the shot

would be nice if he kicked a few more goals to go with those 10 marks however. considering the no goals I'd wager he was floating higher up the ground. the only obvious replacement for vickery however.

He had 3-4 shots on goal kicked 1.2 or 3 from memory and gave off 2 more one which McBean screwed up and the other he passed off the guy dropped it but had time to hit up McBean on the lead for a goal after the final siren.

For toes who were there live, how far away is Jnights?

*i did watch on tv, but missed most the game due to Phil Cleary induced brain aneurysms

C'mon Rusty, Grigg is arse. VFL is where he belongs. When he & Hampson ran into each other against Carlscum it was so very nearly the best thing either of them would've ever done for this club.
That was hilarious. I really do believe he's best 32 and in a team picked each week on form can contribute to the club. He just needs to be coached better and not given a free ride.

*i did watch on tv, but missed most the game due to Phil Cleary induced brain aneurysms
Knighta had flashes of good bits...roved beautifully to kick a goal early in the game
Faded in and out but largely not one of his best
Is being eased back into it to get match fitness up..so I suggest Chris is still 3-4 weeks away

One thing I did notice watching the first half this morning was that Hampson & Griffiths spent most of the time alternating between the ruck and forward, while Big O spent his time deep forward. I wonder if this is a sign that Orren has decided to pull the pin at seasons end and as such we're looking at developing Griffiths as the backup ruck option or if it is because the know that Vickery is going to be rubbed out so they wanted to get some ruck work into Griffiths to get him ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For cereal? Who collected those stats? I barely remember any of Griggs possesions and certainly not in the sense he touched it 30 times. And i was taking special notice of him because i didn't want to see him come back in unless he dominated a game. He had an okay last quarter but that was it.

Lennon i noticed a lot. Was very clean most of the time and a beautiful kick of the ball. But is very much a let the game come to him type and that worries me a bit, hopefully with some strength will take the game on.

Griff was very good in the first half and if he kicked straight very good in the second. But needs to take it on himself to take the shot. Stoked he took 10 very good overhead marks in the wet

McBean is a long way of AFL football just lacks too much strength. Still makes the most of his chances except the handball from griff to the top of the square.

McDonough was solid, nothing to outstanding though except he is beautiful kick off the ball in any situation. He and Lennon were kicking at level that no one else on the oval could get close too.

Thought Matty Dea was pretty good on Conners considering the amount of ball in D50 and cheap frees Dan was getting.

Helbig is ferocious at the ball and man but needs to make better decisions, Arnot is similar. Both need to find more of the pill but that could come if they played in the middle. Would like to see Helbig in the AFL before we shove him off as i think he is player who might be better at that level.

O'Hanlon is a lovely kick but slow as a treacle.

Knights crashed in hard and lead by example but could get clear in a congested game.

Hampson good early but faded.

Elton was horrible. Although he took a good mark and worked hard at ground level but still it was not a great game.

No one else really worth mentioning.

Yup wasn't the greatest game by any stretch.

Lennon was bog for mine, but just ok - can kick a ball
McDonough was there abouts all day and like Lennon, far from the worst, and also is a great kick

then

Knights need another few runs but i think his zip could still be handy
Griffo, was looking at him to give something, and i must say overall i was a little disappointed, and i just can't work out why he doesn't utilise his massive kick more often, play to his strength, he has the ability to kick over zones, just don't know why he doesn't
Arnott - unfortunaterly i agree i think he is going to be only a good ordinary player - no tricks
Hampson - terrible, i think we hardly one a centre clearance all day even though he was winning the tap
Elton - not a football player and will be first player gone
Azza Edwards - i wish we could fit him in the seniors, a good talker on the ground, and has general good skills - would prefer him on list to King

Grigg - BOG by the club can only be described as football propaganda - he was unnoticed for the entire match almost, they didn't man him up (no VFL respect either), and was ineffectual to the extreme - if he is selected for seniors this week we are tanking via selection

Griffo, was looking at him to give something, and i must say overall i was a little disappointed, and i just can't work out why he doesn't utilise his massive kick more often, play to his strength, he has the ability to kick over zones, just don't know why he doesn't

This comes down to the club game plan me thinks. Attacking the corridor and not losing possession. The one time he did kick it long he rove a pack beautifully strode down down the wing and kicked it 60 odd metres trying to get over the two port players for Madonna to run onto. Wasn't quite a long enough kick and he could have bounced it but think he was worried about doing that in the wet. Still we generally go the short sideways kick because or forwards are out numbered a horrible part of the modern game.

This comes down to the club game plan me thinks. Attacking the corridor and not losing possession. The one time he did kick it long he rove a pack beautifully strode down down the wing and kicked it 60 odd metres trying to get over the two port players for Madonna to run onto. Wasn't quite a long enough kick and he could have bounced it but think he was worried about doing that in the wet. Still we generally go the short sideways kick because or forwards are out numbered a horrible part of the modern game.

how good was that kick - that is what i mean - he has such a weapon with his boot he will more often then not catch the opposition off guard - that play if it is the same i was thinking of, was unlucky not to be a goal and kicked it from about 70 m out to our forward pocket

every player surely has to be allowed to play to their strengths to some extent, isn't that the basis to which they were drafted in the first place?

The team is just way to heavy for mine at the moment. For me the most disappointing player on the day was Arnot. Ideal conditions for him and he was barely sighted. Hellbig just doesn't do enough. Dea didn't do much but neither did Connors. Big O was quiet. Edwards dropped more marks than he took. Beannie had a poor one and just for the record I was very disturbed by his lack of chasing and second efforts. I just cannot work Ben Darrou out. I would love to see him get at least 1 senior game to try and get a feel for where he is at. Williams same as Arnot. Elton had a shocker.

I thought Big Ben was good.

Where is Pat Contin & Aaron Davey? Aren't they supposed to be playing?

PS - Just because Hampson took a mark does not mean you can name him in the bests.

It is also incumbent on him to choose the right option looking further up the ground and using that length of kick to our advantage.

Stats from the weekend:
Lennon 28 disposals (19k/9hb) 10 marks 6 handball receives 2 tackles
Hampson 11 disposals (6k/5hb) 5 marks(1 contested) 5 tackles 40 hitouts
Griffiths 19 disposals (12k/7hb) 2 handball recieves 10 marks (2 contested) 4 tackles 1 goals 20 hitouts
Grigg 30 disposals (16k/14hb) 14 handball receives 5 marks (1 contested) 5 tackles 1 goal
McBean 15 disposals (9k/6hb) 2 handball receives 6 marks (1 contested) 1 tackle 2 goals
McDonough 11 disposals (5k/6hb) 6 handball receives 1 marks 2 tackles 2 goals
Knights 16 disposals (9k/7hb) 8 handball receives 2 marks 3 tackles 1 goal
Arnot 18 disposals (12k/6hb) 5 handball receives 4 marks 8 tackles 1 goal
Banfield 5 disposals (2k/3hb) 1 contested mark 7 tackles
Edwards 18 disposals (12k/6hb) 9 handball receives 6 marks 4 tackles
Stephenson 7 disposals (3k/4hb) 1 handball receive 1 mark 2 tackles 19 hitouts
Darrou 14 disposals (8k/6hb) 4 handball receives 3 marks 1 tackle
Helbig 13 disposals (6k/7hb) 6 handball receives 2 marks (1 contested) 4 tackles
Williams 11 disposals (6k/5hb) 2 handball receives 3 kicks 5 tackles
O'Hanlon 16 disposals (8k/8hb) 6 handball receives 5 marks (1 contested) 3 tackles
Elton 8 disposals (4k/4hb) 4 handball receives 1 contested mark 1 tackle
Dea 11 disposals (7k/4hb)2 marks 2 tackles

From that I'd say those in line for elevation to the seniors would be: Lennon Griffiths Hampson Grigg McBean Arnot

Watching the replay it was a very scrappy and poor game from Richmond but it was worth watching to see some individual performances from our AFL listed players.

I thought McDonough did some nice things, like a clever tap on to a team-mate running past and he kicked 2 nice set shot goals from long range. McDonough looks very clean by foot at this level. If he gets promoted to AFL level again this year I think he should play in the forward line because he has goal smarts about him and he looks he could be that classy small forward who can rotate through the midfield that we are missing. In the pre-season he should focus on shredding some unneeded weight so his agility increases and he is more mobile. Improving his fitness base will allow him to rotate through the midfield in bigger stints next year.

Griffiths took some strong marks and played an okay game. He could have a stand out game if he had of converted his chances in front of goal and not looked to pass the ball off so much. He did enough to show he should be selected in the senior side in Vickery's absence. Hopefully if he is selected he makes the most of the games he plays at senior level because I believe he is capable of having a game where he kicks 3 or 4 goals at AFL level where he shows everyone he is the real deal.

Hi guys
There was a young man named Nick Wynne playing on Saturday. How'd he go?

Had 23 disposals at 70 DE, 8 HR (Handball Receives) 7 marks 2 tackles. Played his role off half back well as usual with few intercept marks.

I think a couple of weeks at least - but was far from the worst - and has decent speed spurts still and good finishing from the little he had

Remove this Banner Ad

Back