Autopsy Rd 18. GC SUNS v West Coast. Metricon - Saturday 7:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I worry whenever Hall gets the ball in the backs. Not only does he not appear to know where he is going, no one else does either. Much prefer him H/F

He just needs to take his 1st option more. He seems to like to wait & see what the 2nd and 3rd options are like before dishing off... And often that's too late!

Some thoughts after last night:

The addition of some speed/agility in Saad, Harbrow and Martin makes a difference.

I really do love the way that Saad takes the game on - seems to play every game like it is his last.

Martin is just so silky slick and oozes class.

If Harbrow could consistently hit a Suns target with hand or foot he would be stunning. Still turns it over to much for me.

Touk keeps on Rising (Are they blind down there? He might win our B&F but won't come close to Rising Star.)

Miller is a joy to watch, sticks his tackles regardless of the size of the opponent. Has pace and can deliver the ball well - most times.

Welcome back Harley. He is just so much cleaner and precise than anyone else in the team atm. Will never be a contested ball beast but tackling with much more intent in these last 2 games. Fingers crossed he keeps rising as well. Smh, so much talent. Smh.

Bennell was probably the toughest game that I have seen him play - have seen him play flashier games but a gutsy effort tonight.

Lonergan showing he can run in the midfield as a big body clearance player (but not there yet).

Injuries have cruelled our year but Lonergan and Schade have really taken their opportunities. Another pre season in the gym will make a big difference.

Aaron Hall has to be off the delist list by now. There has always been something there, starting to show it as he puts in more work on the field.

Happy to admit that I was wrong about Hall - his game tonight ws the best I have seen him play but I just don't like him in the backline.

The competitiveness and non-stop go of Tom Nicholls is why he has the first ruck gig.

Nicholls has come a long way and does provide a real competition in the ruck but he also needs another pre season in the gym because he get bodied out of contests - plenty to like about his future.

Our kicking is slowly improving. Lots of hitting open targets last night (hallelujah), there were even some high quality kicks.

Steven May.

Nothing seems too hard for May, seems to live for big contests.

But the two best things from last night:
Brandon Matera can work hard enough to be a good two way player who can get up the ground as a link player. A couple of super kicks from the back 50 to find a player in space. Big tick. Just needs to hold his marks.

I don't know that I would call this a break out year for Matera but I think that he has turned a big corner in terms of contests, follow up efforts and stepping up to be a consistent AFL player.

Rocket can get them playing hard for 4 quarters, even when they are stuffed.

I think you can see the development in the team as they come to understand what Rocket and the coaches are trying to get them to do.

Is it April 2016 yet? Is it April 2016 yet? Is it April 2016 yet? Mum, is it April 2016 yet?

I have made some comments in bold on your observations above. Some additional of my own below.

Dixon hurt his ankle again - Rocket seemed to say it was a weekly thing. He needs to get this right because although he is an obvious talent, I don't know how the sort of money being touted about him from clubs like the Lions can be justified - games per season and number of times subbed is a real concern.

Sam Day - I have been a long time fan of Day and I thought that he showed his best touch this season in this game - pity the season is nearly over.

Kolo - I think he has been one of our standouts for the year, he has really stepped up. He didn't deliver the ball as well as he has throughout the season and maybe he is now being targeted by opposition scouts given his roles at the Suns.

Schade - as mentioned earlier has been one of the real beneficiaries of our injuries. Has played on some big opponents and has performed really well. Looking forward to his further development next year.

Final comment
I think this was another clear step forward for the Suns from our game against Freo where we just got nutted near the end. I think that the best part of the whole gave was our players seeing that they could match it with the high flyers in the league on effort rather than just on talent.

Steven May is all you need to say. Even though he has missed a few games he is still in the mix for All Australian with Tom McDonald for the 2nd KPD role.

After last night I can clearly picture our leadership team for next year - Ablett, Lynch, Rischatelli, Swallow, May, Prestia and add Miller & Kolo if you want to expose them to it early. Malceski doesn't deserve to be there based on this season alone and needs more time to work on his game.

Hall is off the delist list - always been his consistency that has been the worry, the last month has easily been the best stretch of games for the club and his ability to inject pace into the midfield and gives him the added flexibility and value to be both a small fwd who can impact the midfield in short bursts. Clayton needs to offer a 2yr deal now before it turns into a Levi Greenwood situation.

Matera played his best game for the year, following on from an improved effort last week. All due to work effort to push up and down the ground to be an option. Personally I don't think it saves him from the trade table based on his history and an overabundance of developing small fwds who have more ability to rotate into the mids (Miller, Garlett and Hall) but it certainly helps his career and our trade prospects (especially playing well against a WA team).

McKenzie out meant no passengers last night.

Glad I heard Malceski was sore otherwise I would be more concerned with some of his efforts last night.

Shaw and Harbrow played OK but I still have reservations about uncontested players who can't hit clear targets going forward (Shaw through the centre in the 3rd) or miss open goals (was Harbrow channeling his inner Stephen Milne in 2009 GF trying to dribble an open goal from 35m out). In clear contrast Boston and Glenn can play the same role but can hit targets, they just need to work on their tanks and running patterns so they can get on the end of more ball.

Miller was fantastic early so not surprised to hear he was hampered as he slowed down later in the game.

Schade and Lonergan are developing nicely.

Kolo was Kolo - ultra consistent for such a young player

Bennell has been great since he came back, so composed and clean. Hopefully he has flicked the switch and we can expect this week in and week out.

While Jack Martin has been out I have been admiring Jesse Hogan and thinking what if, forgetting how good Jack Martin is. First game back I see what Jack can do and I fall in love with him all over again, Jesse who?

Lynch is the best young forward in the game - may not have the natural gifts of a Cameron or Daniher but has superior work rate and leadership that give him the edge.

Nicholls is a competitor and is slowly adding more tricks, like providing more leading options when going forward. If other rucks walk we only need to looking for a fwd who can hold his own in the ruck, maybe Wright can fulfill that role going fwd.

Eade's ability to have more reliance on system and effort and less on individual brilliance will take us to the next level.

How much can I get for us to make the 8 next year - surely I get at least $4 for the 2nd bottom team.

I am going to do my Gerard Whateley impression now about the score review process.

If we have a score review system and one of the things we have to judge is whether a ball has gone over the line, how in all sanity can there not be a camera or cameras viewing the goal line along the line.

In racing they do not have the photo finish before or after the line, IT IS ON THE LINE!!!

Surely it is that simple.

Interestingly, the only other draw at Carrara also involved West Coast. Very similar situation played out in which a young Bears player marked the ball (about 35 out) late in the game and ended up kicking the goal to tie the score.

A few of Bigfooty's favourite whipping boys in Shawy, Jesse L and Harbs had really good games
Possibly Jesse's best game for us.
His improvement this year has been spectacular and strong!
Starting to think he'll be a 200 game player

Must admit i was worried about Shaw,. Had 1 touch to his nsme at halftime i think it was..
Think he must of copped a spray at halftime to end up as 1 of the better half dozen players

in the end, i'm glad we got 2 points out of last night. i've gotten so sick of being close in games against good opponents, only to get rolled in the last quarter or lose by a few goals. seeing opposition supporters say stuff like "lets just take the win, forget that game and move on to next week" has gotten really annoying. a draw is a way better feeling than a loss! haha

also, the review system should not be in our game if we cannot put funding in to get some ******* good cameras. whatever the FPS is on the cameras they decide to use for the reviews, its simply not good enough for a professional sport. the cricket has numerous systems in place to review umpiring decisions, like hawkeye and hotspot, the nba, mlb, & epl all have state of the art score review systems suitable for multi-billion dollar sporting industries. the afl has just allowed reviews to take place, not actually implement any new technology to aid the reviews. sure, they've used the goal line cameras occasionally, but what's the point of only using them in certain stadiums? massive disadvantage to those who don't have them, like us last night with russell's non goal. the review has to go until increase the number of cameras and the quality of them to match the standard set by other big sporting leagues.

may was huge. body on body, i reckon he's one of the best KPD's in the comp. he's got such great body strength for a 23 year old. kept kennedy to 2 goals, when i think most of us were expecting him to kick another bag of 7/8 on us again. lots of great performers last night, will post again once i've watched the replay later today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheer Squad numbers well down with some electing to sit elsewhere last night.
Our cheersquad is a ******* joke. Remove all of them and make it a GA area.

In other news, what a fantastic game!

Russell, Lonergan, Matera - all proved that they're not just B players. Our depth is becoming impressive.

Our pressure was spot on.

Holy * I love Rocket

Hall is off the delist list - always been his consistency that has been the worry, the last month has easily been the best stretch of games for the club and his ability to inject pace into the midfield and gives him the added flexibility and value to be both a small fwd who can impact the midfield in short bursts. Clayton needs to offer a 2yr deal now before it turns into a Levi Greenwood situation.

Thing with Hall is he is really good as a out and out mid , he does it so well when he goes down to NEAFL level . Problem is when we get the fab 4 back he will be squeezed out to the wings and flanks where he gets a little lost.

Thing with Hall is he is really good as a out and out mid , he does it so well when he goes down to NEAFL level . Problem is when we get the fab 4 back he will be squeezed out to the wings and flanks where he gets a little lost.

Even if he is only good as an out and out mid they are pretty hard to find and we seem to be in need of them. I'm sure if that is the case we may have to look at having members of the fab 4 who would be better on a flank or pocket to split time between there and the midfield (e.g. Swallow off a back flank, Ablett on a forward flank, Jaeger on a wing coming back from injury) to give us a more balanced line up.

Seems similar with Glenn when his the main man at NEAFL ge gets his 25touches.. Comes to AFL plays not sure what he bloody played.. But couldnt get near it to save him

The NEAFL the Suns Achilles heel

Even if he is only good as an out and out mid they are pretty hard to find and we seem to be in need of them. I'm sure if that is the case we may have to look at having members of the fab 4 who would be better on a flank or pocket to split time between there and the midfield (e.g. Swallow off a back flank, Ablett on a forward flank, Jaeger on a wing coming back from injury) to give us a more balanced line up.

I think you got to play your best in the midfield , no matter how well Hall plays on ball Swallow etc plays it better . Its just a question for Rocket if Hall will be in that 6 man rotation that goes through there once everyone is back.

Seems similar with Glenn when his the main man at NEAFL ge gets his 25touches.. Comes to AFL plays not sure what he bloody played.. But couldnt get near it to save him

The NEAFL the Suns Achilles heel

At NEAFL level they play a different position as to when they come into the senior team . NEAFL is doing no harm to the Swans or GWS , so its a cop out to be blaming that.

* I hated that game so much but credit where credit is due, we came in expecting a win and you guys embarrassed us.

Hopefully that's the kind of game that helps us realise that you take no team for granted. Might be the game that gets us a flag.

**** I hated that game so much but credit where credit is due, we came in expecting a win and you guys embarrassed us.

Hopefully that's the kind of game that helps us realise that you take no team for granted. Might be the game that gets us a flag.

I wish you guys good luck, it would be great to see the cup go West again, but hurry up and get it before Ablett, Swallow, Prestia, Richitelli, O'Meara, Peter Wright and this years no2-3 pick come into our side and destroy the comp next year.

I wish you guys good luck, it would be great to see the cup go West again, but hurry up and get it before Ablett, Swallow, Prestia, Richitelli, O'Meara, Peter Wright and this years no2-3 pick come into our side and destroy the comp next year.

I think the Eagles are well set up now for a tilt over the next 2-3 years, we drafted terrifically this past draft.

These injury years that * everything up sucks, look at us, we lost Brown and MacKenzie very early and got a makeshift defence. Suns will be keen for a strong preseason no doubt.

Interestingly, the only other draw at Carrara also involved West Coast. Very similar situation played out in which a young Bears player marked the ball (about 35 out) late in the game and ended up kicking the goal to tie the score.
Pretty sure I was at that game. Young Queenslander Ray Windsor was the player. We took that draw as a win too :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back