Autopsy Rd 21 Carlton v Geelong Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's strange but I thought Docherty had given away a free kick and we'd been lucky that the play went on. We were sitting at the Lockett end of the ground and looking straight at the contest. Docherty had been done on reaction time and used his arm on the blindside to edge Christiansen under the ball. The fact that the whistle came from the umpire not in charge made me wonder how he could have seen it from his distance.

I'm assuming he paid the free for a different reason after watching a replay of the play. It was a proverbial howler.

So Geelong has beaten us twice this season with the assistance of the umpires. Nice that umpires learn from their mistakes:rolleyes:

It's strange but I thought Docherty had given away a free kick and we'd been lucky that the play went on. We were sitting at the Lockett end of the ground and looking straight at the contest. Docherty had been done on reaction time and used his arm on the blindside to edge Christiansen under the ball. The fact that the whistle came from the umpire not in charge made me wonder how he could have seen it from his distance.

I'm assuming he paid the free for a different reason after watching a replay of the play. It was a proverbial howler.

So Geelong has beaten us twice this season with the assistance of the umpires. Nice that umpires learn from their mistakes:rolleyes:
They have. Ironically.

Last time they were told to back themselves to pay a decision even if it could decide the game. This is exactly what the umpire did.

To me this is the most damning part of the incorrect decision. The officiating umpire was side-on to the contest & called play on, yet an umpire who was some distance away & viewing the contest front-on decided he had seen a push. In other words he guessed there was a push, because he could not have witnessed a push from a front-on position.

I'm not sure who the umpire was that made the decision, but there is no way he should be umpiring during the finals, because such poor decision making in a final will be highlighted a 100 times worse than it would be in a home & away game.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid. Decision making isn't something you can necessarily teach though - you either have it or you don't. Hopefully what he has demonstrated is just inexperience
Lol decision making is actually one of the thing that comes with experience and teaching - you can't really change kicking skills but decision making absolutely improves over time

Lol decision making is actually one of the thing that comes with experience and teaching - you can't really change kicking skills but decision making absolutely improves over time

We'll have to agree to disagree. Kicking skills can most certainly improve with some practice. Just ask Carrazzo and Levi

I'm no mathematician so can one of you nerdy types work out the probability of the AFL coming out twice in the same year and saying that a decision in the dying moments of a Carlton versus Geelong game at Etihad Stadium on a Friday night that was ultimately decided by a goal or less was wrong and completely ****ed the Blues...

I'm thinking said probability is pretty ******* small.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How, when he was the fastest player on the ground?

That was the only piece of play that he didn't look hampered and thankfully he wasn't because it was a beautiful piece of play!

The umpire who called it has been getting canned on twitter. Umpires really shouldn't make their twitter public.

That was the only piece of play that he didn't look hampered and thankfully he wasn't because it was a beautiful piece of play!

Completely disagree. Consistently ran past anyone on the ground but executed poorly.

A muscle injury suddenly isnt there for 5 mins.

Completely disagree. Consistently ran past anyone on the ground but executed poorly.

A muscle injury suddenly isnt there for 5 mins.
Stats had him down for 22 possies at 70 odd percent DE, a goal, an assist...and in our top 4 SC scores.

I know they aren't the be all and end all but they do suggest he didn't exactly stink it up as some have said. I watched the whole game and I thought he did pretty well.

I just get the shites with the constant accusations of his coasting, being lazy, soft etc I think this is wrong and I reckon a top 3 B&F finish will prove that.

Anyway, I know Yaz knocking as a bandwagon is a popular ride around here so go for it, you'll have company.

The players tried their best last night and it was bad luck we copped injuries during the game.

Some passages of play was spectacular such as the ones that resulted in goals from Gibbs and Yarran.

The free to Christensen reminded me of the shocker that Petrie received against us a few weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back