Autopsy Rd 21 Carlton v Geelong Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet we are 7-13:(

That's what happens when a equally long list of players have poor seasons.

Judd, Kreuzer, Walker, Tuohy, Warnock, Henderson, Thomas, Waite, Carazzo, Garlett, Armfield and Mclean have all had their own reasons for having limited impact on our season. Docherty having no preseason was hardly helpful as well.

The bolded would have made a huge difference to our season if they were fit and firing.

Judd, Kreuzer, Walker, Tuohy, Warnock, Henderson, Thomas, Waite, Carazzo, Garlett, Armfield and Mclean have all had their own reasons for having limited impact on our season. Docherty having no preseason was hardly helpful as well.

The bolded would have made a huge difference to our season if they were fit and firing.
I'm not arguing against either of you, our injuries this year have been terrible, but why are Tuohy, McLean and Garlett bolded?

If only Walker, Tuohy and Garlett had replicated their 2013 form this year, we're playing finals, maybe top 4.

I'm not arguing against either of you, our injuries this year have been terrible, but why are Tuohy, McLean and Garlett bolded?

Mclean's fitness has been a issue all season and it was noticeable from the get go when we played Port.

Tuohy hurt his leg against North in the preseason and his athleticism has noticably dropped this season when compared to last year.

Garlett - major shoulder surgery in the preseason which has seriously affected his confidence.

I think we're forgetting how putrid the midfield was for a while there.

Murphy was under performing for whatever reason and Gibbs was the ONLY player looking likely. Simpson and Walker were somewhat ineffectual off the HBFs.

We've gone from a basket case earlier in the year to honest footballers. Once we can become clinical and ruthless we'll see something worth smiling at.

Of those I've listed only 2 of them have played the whole year. Rowe came in after the disaster start and almost our whole list had surgery in the preseason.

We've lost plenty of close games and I'd put that down to low fitness after a horror preseason.

Zee you're a genius. Mick just said exactly this on 5AA. Says we are scraping to get a team together because it's catching up with us (preseason surgeries) and all the boys are injured or fatigued.

I think we're forgetting how putrid the midfield was for a while there.

Murphy was under performing for whatever reason and Gibbs was the ONLY player looking likely. Simpson and Walker were somewhat ineffectual off the HBFs.

We've gone from a basket case earlier in the year to honest footballers. Once we can become clinical and ruthless we'll see something worth smiling at.

Mclean, Robinson, Warnock were just awful.

Carazzo never really got a good run at it until now and Judd missed half the season. Thomas recovering from the ankle surgeries, Kreuzer injured etc

The wooden spoon looked like a certainly at that point.

I don't know about top four but I reckon we would have easily made the finals.

I figure those 3 players with their 2013 fitness and form, means we beat Port round 1 (maybe), Tiges, Dees, Lions, Cats X 2, Giants, and Freo.
Maybe we don't get all those, but we'd be firmly entrenched in the 8 and very close to the 4.

I figure those 3 players with their 2013 fitness and form, means we beat Port round 1 (maybe), Tiges, Dees, Lions, Cats X 2, Giants, and Freo.
Maybe we don't get all those, but we'd be firmly entrenched in the 8 and very close to the 4.
I say we beat Collingwood the second time too.

Hard to disagree with this.

I still feel like we need to keep increasing the spread of decent talent on our list but we were dealt a poor hand to deal with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to disagree with this.

I still feel like we need to keep increasing the spread of decent talent on our list but we were dealt a poor hand to deal with.

Absolutely.
I don't think we would be seriously challenging for the flag given all our other fitness issues and general class, I'm just saying that 3 of our mid-range players having poor years has had a massive effect on our total wins.

According to Carrots (at a sausage sizzle a couple of Sundays ago) there are at this stage only a couple of players going in for surgery this pre-season, as opposed to 20-odd last time. Fingers crossed it stays that way! :rolleyes:

According to Carrots (at a sausage sizzle a couple of Sundays ago) there are at this stage only a couple of players going in for surgery this pre-season, as opposed to 20-odd last time. Fingers crossed it stays that way! :rolleyes:
Lucky Walks and Hendo got a head start.

I wonder who else? Should we give them a head start?

Lucky Walks and Hendo got a head start.

I wonder who else? Should we give them a head start?

You'd like to think that they would have the sense to get it done now (like with Walker), when our season is winding down anyway, but it might also depend on who it is. Murphy for example - wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's carrying a niggle - won't be pulled from the side early. If he can play he must play.

You'd like to think that they would have the sense to get it done now (like with Walker), when our season is winding down anyway, but it might also depend on who it is. Murphy for example - wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's carrying a niggle - won't be pulled from the side early. If he can play he must play.
Same. Tuohy with his knee.

Gibbs didn't wear tape on his lower leg/knee for the first time on Friday but he'll probably need something.

The last person I want having a delayed preseason is Daisy. He needs to be right day 1.

I read during the week Geelong want to play us annually at Kardinia Park.

Great plan! I'm sick of honourable Etihad losses against The Mighty Ducks.

23 wins, 19 losses at the cattery. Bring it on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back