Preview Rd 22, 2014 - Brisbane Lions vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date - Sunday, August 24
Time – 1:10pm AEST
Venue - The Gabba
Weather - 20° Partly cloudy
Television – Live across Australia on Fox Footy and also live in Queensland on 7mate

Preview by blackpowerlappin

4 bourbon and cokes, 2 Carltons and a House Red. Thanks, hope you don't mind, but a pack of us Northern Mebourne Suburban Lions are still celebrating the shellacking of the Ferrals and immediate dumping of their 2014 finals aspirations. What a win! It was beautiful! Waves of run and carry, burst, hunger, young KPDs and KPFs, emerging 2nd, 3rd and 4th year talent across all lines. Now, I love the stats more than the average guy and whilst I could go through them for a while, much in the same way Kingy and Vossy can in the War Room, there is a greater importance that is occurring. We are watching a style, a system that is predictable to the players and validated by stats that should reflect success and positive win/loss ratios. While last year and the year before presented us with some cracking come from behind wins, momentum swings and out of the blue charges for victory, this year the stats are secondary. Why? Because we can see the likes of Gardiner and Clarke, Harwood and Mcstay switching play before they have the ball, and know their pass will result in a loose man further up the ground who will be supported by runners up the middle of the ground. We are seeing the development and excitement that comes with slick ball movement and delivered with intent. That happened gloriously for 3 and half minutes against Adelaide but for the whole game against the Ferrals. That's the way it is when you are rebuilding and developing the kids.

Some more of the good:

A solid KPD triumvirate in Justin Clarke, Darcy Gardiner and Daniel Mcstay. They have already cemented themselves in the back half, Gardiner and Mcstay have shown they can compete, swing and generate forward thrust whilst Clarke is holding his own against most of the Gorillas he confronts. Walker ran riot after he went off. The upside with these boys is huge. In Harwood, Adcock and Patful we have a balanced spread of run and link with the mids as they automatically run and switch from deep to the connecting players on the flanks or through the coridoor. The difference this year, in particular the second half of the year is how well they have followed and persevered with their style of play. The predictability only highlights the team progression on the back of emerging talent.

The defence is now enabling the Lions to unveil crazy and ballistic run and carry conveyances. Hanley, Taylor, Zorko, Bewick, Crisp, and Aish and Beams. As the year has gone on Zorko and Hanley have moved to more midfield orientated roles fuelled by handballs and effcetive kicks from the likes of Rockliff, Martin, Adcock, Patfull and the very handy Lester. This combination, when on, are proving a handful for many of our more fancied opponents and is a reminder that we are now starting to beat teams above us. Lions supporters would agree the 7 wins this year a rated higher than the 10 from the previous couple.

Of course we have our issues and this is where Kingy lights up his toys whilst Vossy articulates his thoughts on the game. Our delivery into the forward line can be disastrous. The Richmond and West Coast games were lost due to appalling forward entries and choosing wrong options. We know the top teams will destroy us if this does not improve over the next couple of years. Add to that the ability to turn the ball over and losing clearance counts. In addition we also know we need a key forward or two command a spot on form. We have a few of these emerging now so things are looking a little rosier as is the excitement when the Green machine is buzzing. With Leuey, Rich and Redden still to come, 2014 will turn out a whole heap better than that 130 point drubbing in that pre season NAB game.

The Dockers:

Well hands up if you watched the Dockers against Geelong and Hawthorn? Hands up if you were quietly thinking "jesus, these guys are back"! You know what you get when you play the Dockers, no time, no space, Centre Half Forward and Centre Half Back midfielders, speed machines on the flanks and wings, a 6 ft 2 glove, Gigantor in the ruck and terrorist forward smalls who machine gun goals if Pav doesn't. Only the Dockers know what happened against the Saints that day, but the style of game we are developing is the type of game that can test the Dockers. Of course, as magnificent as it is pump the Ferrals, they are a far cry from what the Dockers have put out there the last two weeks.

In the words of Leppa last week- "we were monstered by Adelaide" he said. Well, based on what I saw from the Dockers over the past two weeks, should they bring that to the Gabba on Sunday, you may as well turn on to a Victoria's Secret Christmas Special if you want excitement as a Lions fan. From memory the last time we played them we broke the record for the least forward 50 entries in history? It was downright painful.

In Conclusion:

I'm a half glass full type of bloke. I backed us to beat the Ferrals on the weekend for all the reasons I have stated above. I also backed Freo to win the Premiership last year. They are just starting to activate the turbo boosters and commencing the launching sequence for mine. They will come to the Gabba expecting a challenge. They are not in a position to rest players so they will be keen to deliver a clinical performance. Whilst Fyfe will miss Ballantyne will be back. For the Lions, we would consider ourselves a tough challenger, and will want a respectable display, one that will enable us to make up for the shocker against Adelaide in front of our home support.

I think the Lions will put up a good show but I expect the Dockers will be fine tuning the machine and win by 38 points.

bpl, the lions part made me tingle in my underpants.

This week I just want to see the lads compete for all 4 quarters, & stay with our style of play that we are developing - even at the cost of goals when it breaks down. And Jono to kick at least 1.

I am with bpl

I think the Lions will put up a good show but I expect the Dockers will be fine tuning the machine and win by 38 points.

A great read BPL.

Looking to next year, with 2 remaining games, it will be interesting to see if Leppa wants to try a couple of things against 2 heavyweights. What better time to give Leuey and Stef a trial together to see how it works. It would probably have to come at a cost to one of our tall forwards, but If Merrett doesn't get through training on Thursday, I reckon he will go with it, otherwise one of Jono or Close to stand aside unfortunately.

Leuie missed the second half of the reserves as a precaution. (note end point is he's ok)

the match report (up today) said 'we were hoping he'd play 4 quarters and be ready to push for senior selection' therefore one could assume that as he didn't play 4 quarters he won't have pushed for senior selection (althouhg the 2 quarters he did play were very good apparantly.)

Yeah I am also really hoping luey comea back for this game but from the reserves thread sounded like he did his toe or something. Report should come out today so we will know quite soon if he will be available.

EDIT: John beat me to it lul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At work and a big footy supporter in the office just told me Pav was going to be rested, I assumed he read it somewhere as he said it as if it were factually known. Damn him for getting my hopes up, I'll ask him where he resd it soon!!
In another thread I said he got a nosebleed and it nearly killed him, but that was jokes. Mind you Hammo might be reporting it now in the CM, I am as credible as most of his sources.

Hoping Bewick will go to Hill, it'll be a great test for him.
Yea I think that would be a good match up.

Hope it stays a dry track - I am looking forward to seeing what we learned from our earlier game this year in terms of scoring points.

With two of their best midfielders out I really think we have a solid chance at a win on Sunday.

blackpowerlappin a glass half full type of guy? I call Bull-Tish and ask fellow readers to refer to the emptiness of the '4 bourbon and cokes, 2 Carltons and a House Red'!

Other than that glaring contradiction - a cracking preview bpl :thumbsu:

As we read every year tis the longest trip of the year and Freo have only travelled up to the gabba 10 times, only won twice and the total amount of points they have won by is only 15 points.

Our speed, run and carry should be able to break the dockers cluster zones, I'm predicting another massive upset, with the Lions to win by under a goal.

Go you mighty LIONS!!!

Freo have been out of form but got it back a bit last week. Still a big trip, and with some key mids out will make it tougher for them.

I worry about their ability to shut down our outside players. If we ccan move the ball like last week, find players and link and run I think we can do a number on them. But likewise if they win more contested ball and clamp down on us we might find it very tough.

Will be interesting to see if they rest players for this big trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back