Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

i agree...it may have been what triggered yarran off...and ive gotta say being racially vilified would cut deeper than a smack to the head (although i cant really speak from personal experience but im sure it would have far greater ramifications to a persons psyche) but yazz still deserves to be suspended if hes hit chapman fair and square, as we all know yarran could have dealt with it differently and the sport is afl not boxing...in saying that if chapman has given yazz a racial whack then he deserves to go too... will be interesting to see if anything more than yazz going down happens...

two points: the league needs to look after the ball players, 10 elbows in the back= i left hook for cumulative impact.

melanie-sham (the hapless tagger) got judd holding the ball and went on with it while judd was on the ground... effectively off the ball. Why is this part of the game? I want to see the stars get a fair run at.

2: Yarren is a ball player, not a fighter, so if chapman is there to fight not play football... rule number one of fighting: keep your guard up!...... and that should be the finding of the tribunal.

I didn't see short steps. I did see pointless corralling 60m out from our goal instead of closing the gap to put pressure on the inside 50 kick. They weren't doing that in the last.

I also see players unwilling to leave their man to challenge what will (and often is) a certain goal if they don't. It's like if they leave their man, then a handball over the top means the goal is kicked by their opponent. So they let the other player waltz in for an easy goal. It seems to be individual thinking rather than selfless team thinking.

That actually changed in the last quarter as well, and it made a big difference.

We seriously could not figure out what the players had been instructed to do when going forward
Barker has obviously tried to cover his shortcomings (actual coaching) and listened to what the other coaches have been saying - work both ways, be prepared to be defensive - and instructed the forward line to run away from the forward 50 and not work to get back when we have possession, leaving Davey Ellard one out against Hooker and Hurley, with ball being kicked in long and high... o_O

Some observations for those that may have not watched the TV carefully.

1, Gibbs squibbed it big time two times when confronted with a ball coming to him and opposition charging at it.. only cost one goal though..everyone has their moments - Gibbs seems to have them all too often..extremely poor example for a so called leader on big dollars who wanted the Club to tell him why he should stay - well how about he shows in attack AND defence why he belongs. For mine he can be part of trade any day
2, Too many Carlton leaders are experts at the occasional highlight - for every brave ct carrazzo performs he gets outrun by his man four times over- leading to goals - and that isn't mentioning his pathetic field kicking
3, The umpire warned Chapman about the Yarran incident as he was shepherding both off the ground - saying 'I don't want to see any more elbows in the back' - Yarran had mitigating circumstances and POOR umpiring is as much to blame for yarrans 'brain fade' as anything else - Carraazzo can go jump if he wants to make public comment about a Carlton player like Yarran - he should say Yarran was physically abused by Chapman for ages etc etc etc - I dont give a flying toss about Carrazzo's selfish proclamations about disappointment- how about you run over and give Yarran a hand Carrazzo - how about you help Judd over all the years you were supposed to be helping?

Sick of the B/C graders in Carlton and their silly mouths and attitudes.

4, Byrne, Tuohey, Everitt, Cripps , Judd Docherty, Simpson, Armfield, Ellard can stand tall - the rest can have a long hard look at themselves - again.. passengers

That's not how the new tribunal system works, plus he knocked chapman out. He deserves more than two weeks, I'd be happy with three but think 4-5 is more likely. Just a real stupid decision by him, it's great he wanted to bring a bit of physicality into the game but that's not how you do it.
If Yaz gets 4-5 for that, given the lead up to the actual punch, then I will not be attending another AFL game, ever, particularly when you take into account that Reece Conca only got 2 weeks for his gutless snipe of Devon Smith.

Barker has obviously tried to cover his shortcomings (actual coaching) and listened to what the other coaches have been saying - work both ways, be prepared to be defensive - and instructed the forward line to run away from the forward 50 and not work to get back when we have possession, leaving Davey Ellard one out against Hooker and Hurley, with ball being kicked in long and high... o_O
I'd be deeply concerned if Barker is telling our forwards to do this given he is our back line coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seriously could not figure out what the players had been instructed to do when going forward

Well yeh, if anyone can shed some light on the 'process' please enlighten Neese and I

Thanks

That's not how the new tribunal system works, plus he knocked chapman out. He deserves more than two weeks, I'd be happy with three but think 4-5 is more likely. Just a real stupid decision by him, it's great he wanted to bring a bit of physicality into the game but that's not how you do it.
Are you serious. He did not knock Chapman out.
A 4-5 week suspension is only for behind the play king hits with serious injury. More likely a 2 week ban, but with chook lotto who knows.

Just watched the game.

Can't believe how many chances we blew in the last quarter to kick a goal.

I like the look of our midfield without Curnow to be honest. I'd bring Whiley in for him next week.

Or carrazzo?

What run?

He isn't particularly quick by hand or foot and his disposal is terrible.

Endurance, gut running, I don't think he has been the lone ranger with form, think I would omit Carrazzo first..

The game certainly freed up when a tagger came off

Wish we played a more attacking style

Endurance, gut running, I don't think he has been the lone ranger with form, think I would omit Carrazzo first..

The game certainly freed up when a tagger came off

Wish we played a more attacking style

If we backed ourselves to carry the ball by hand and foot we would be a far better side.

We are in no man's land where our gameplan isn't very attacking and it leaves us open defensively as well. No point playing three tall forwards if we just plan to let the opposition flood their back line due to our slow ball movement.

Curnow has great endurance but I'd rather see Whiley playing as a proper midfielder. Footballer > Athlete

Lot of finger pointing, throwing heads back, ripping mouth guards out to give someone a spray. This just screams of a team that is not galvanized and the first place you need to look is leadership. Early in the 4th Walker was standing the mark after a free kick and her screamed "HERE!" for someone to man up a loose player next to him. Sounded incredibly frustrated.

How is it the same story after 3 weeks? We smashed them in clearances (53 - 30) and contested possessions (159 - 116), but we got belted around the ground. 178 - 261 uncontested possessions in favour of the Bombers. We brought in outside run through the draft to deal with the run and spread, yet we arent seeing a team selected that addresses this. Jobe Watson btw having 27 uncontested possessions. Goddard the next with 19. These are hard inside mids who are also spreading and our taggers are obviously unable to go with them. Hurley, Hibberd and Stanton all had 16. whos accountable for these players? Our highest was Simpson, Walker and Murphy with 16 and you expect them to have high numbers for our club, but not to be eclipsed by Watson and Goddard. 27 for Watson. Cmon.

You obviously cant win the game from clearances. We smashed them here, yet got smashed in the game. Time to drop Carrazzo or Curnow. Especially now with Cripps emerging, we cant have these 3 guys in the same side. Take your pick. Ones older so is not going to be around for long, but has great leadership. I question his decision making though as he is often giving away careless frees and dont think his possessions are particularly damaging or efficient. I suspect he had the role on Watson today and obviously he doesnt have the leg to keep up due to Watsons high uncontested possessions. Curnow lacks leadership but he has a bigger engine to run all day. He is also younger and will be around for longer and we need to show faith in him so he stays. Hes also a very good proven tagger and we know this as he sat behind Crowley a few years ago (or was it last year) statistically as the best tagger.

Time to sacrafice some midfield dominance to cover the run and spread and have a more even team across the field. Is the same old story; a team that has no balance. it used to be HBB heaven, now its slow stoppage mids. Bring in some outside mids and get this thing sorted. Or, change our game strategy so we are effectively mauling it down the field creating stoppages like the Swans do. Its not pretty football but it suits the team we are fielding each week. Im sure we would all prefer the former, but this is what needs to happen.

Quick shot out to my boy Cripps who lead contested possessions with 15 (along with Carrazzo). FYI Watson, Howlert and Hooker lead the Bombers with 10 each.

I didn't see any of the game, so can I ask what new Irish boy Byrne's kicking, handballing and general skills are like ? Can he read the play and doesn't possess any footy smarts even at this early stage of his career ?
His disposal looks good. Couldn't see any issues during the quarter he played. Seemed composed with ball in hand and chose the right options. On more than one occasion he was thw catalyst for a decent foray forward. Hard to tell what his defending was like from TV but didn't make any obvious blues.

The real test will be when he plays a full game and has to deal with physical and mental fatigue. The only knock I have had on Byrne through the pre-season games was in his first where his disposal went to s**t once or twice under pressure deep in defence, but having said that, the next game he played there was no sign of it.

Could have found a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back