Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fake 'concussion' test anyone!

Very difficult to ping them when their Dr. can say he was worried about the player's mental state & welfare and needed the time to assess him further.

Reckon it's more to do with having such a s**t rule in the first place that allows that sort of thing to happen. All o fthe clubs will exploit it when they can.

I'd normally agree with you but in the example listed, they did no wrong ................. unfortunately.
They had a concussion test, then shredded the evidence of the concussion test so it couldn't be used against them.
Plus they told chappy that it wasn't a concussion test, just some random test which they got from some dodgy test provider who created it from some dodgy tests he got from an online source from China.

They had a concussion test, then shredded the evidence of the concussion test so it couldn't be used against them.
Plus they told chappy that it wasn't a concussion test, just some random test which they got from some dodgy test provider who created it from some dodgy tests he got from an online source from China.

Stick to your day job, your career in stand-up comedy isn't going anywhere based on that audition tape.:p

When Byrne came on and got his first touch, he looked like he wanted to explode, running and supporting and wanting the next kick so desperately... No-one else showed that energy, everyone looked so slow and tired even from the start... I'll say it again MMs game plan is not for us, we need to stop bombing long and start controlling the game from the back, get the guys that can kick to run around the back and get the cheap hand ball whenever Rowe Wood etc take a grab, this is elementary sh!t... Can MM not see this every single week? It's so repetitive, kick long mark, kick long mark, opposition teams must love it..

Fake 'concussion' test anyone!

Speaking of dodgy concussion tests...

I see Selwood didn't even have one done despite being poleaxed.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the sub being activated already.

Extremely dodgy. I reckon there would be a very strong correlation between players not being declared concussed or tested for concussion where the sub has been activated.

Doctors still know what coaches want.

When Byrne came on and got his first touch, he looked like he wanted to explode, running and supporting and wanting the next kick so desperately... No-one else showed that energy, everyone looked so slow and tired even from the start... I'll say it again MMs game plan is not for us, we need to stop bombing long and start controlling the game from the back, get the guys that can kick to run around the back and get the cheap hand ball whenever Rowe Wood etc take a grab, this is elementary sh!t... Can MM not see this every single week? It's so repetitive, kick long mark, kick long mark, opposition teams must love it..

Is it any worse than our regular attempts to kick short around half-back, only to drop the ball 2 feet short of the target and put them under immediate pressure resulting in a fumble, turnover and opposition goal?

Other teams can get away with playing possession footy - we've got too many blokes who lack the footskills to do it effectively.

In the last quarter after Essendon had put the cue in the rack for next week then certainly. But even then there was no structure, with players bombing the ball at the sticks and hoping for the best.

But for the 3rd week in a row, we capitulated in the 2nd quarter. Faced with a 1/2 time deficit they failed to respond, again.

Mick and Barker say they're not going to rush the kids when the current group clearly ain't up to it. If subbing Curnow for Byrne is any indication, they should be a hell of a lot more bold when selecting the team.
Well there you go.

Essendon* putting the cue in the rack and/or fading out like they have recently I guess was certainly expected.

Overall, even looking over the last few years, we rely on "making a comeback" far too often. We just shouldn't be getting so behind in the first place and unfortunately it shows that in the true heat of the game we're just not good enough.

Byrne winning a couple of 1 on 1 contests in the last, against Goddard, was pretty impressive. By that, I don't mean he just spoiled the attempted mark. I mean spoiled, won the ground contest and took off to create play. Very composed - last line. Well done.
Geez, that is impressive.

Goddard is a campaigner but can certainly play and is a hardened veteran who would make many young players look very silly in the same situation.

Latest two Irishmen in Byrne and Sheehan seem to really have something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it any worse than our regular attempts to kick short around half-back, only to drop the ball 2 feet short of the target and put them under immediate pressure resulting in a fumble, turnover and opposition goal?

Other teams can get away with playing possession footy - we've got too many blokes who lack the footskills to do it effectively.
Kicking long is just being lazy and it will never work, we need to learn to kick short and absorb the pressure when we are under the pump, no point kicking long and getting a boundary throw in every time, what does that teach us? We end up copping a goal anyway, might as well learn to kick short and make everybody create an opition, not just wait on the wing thinking oh yeah they'll bomb it long here...

Geez, that is impressive.

Goddard is a campaigner but can certainly play and is a hardened veteran who would make many young players look very silly in the same situation.

Latest two Irishmen in Byrne and Sheehan seem to really have something.

I'm hoping that 1 of our three Irish players can play as a mid or HFF.

I'm hoping that 1 of our three Irish players can play as a mid or HFF.
Surprised we haven't already tried it with Zach... especially given he's as dangerous as anyone in the comp when it comes to bombing a goal from outside 50.

Surprised we haven't already tried it with Zach... especially given he's as dangerous as anyone in the comp when it comes to bombing a goal from outside 50.

Hasn't shown much ability in close traffick situations - he has shown huge ability in clean air situations - better off wing or HFF I would say than inside - could change with experience - also, right now too valuable down back - when Sheehan returns maybe.

Essendon* putting the cue in the rack and/or fading out like they have recently I guess was certainly expected.

Carlton trailed by 41 points, six minutes into the final quarter. So we rallied but the Bombers were never concerned about the result.

3 goals to 7 in the 2nd quarter killed the game by ½ time, effectively.

If you take your mind back to the games we lost with Ratten in charge there was plenty of bombing it long into the forwards line as this side has never handled numbers behind the ball. It always used to be Eddie trying to out mark 2 guys bigger than him.

This is not a new problem.

Carlton trailed by 41 points, six minutes into the final quarter. So we rallied but the Bombers were never concerned about the result.

Yeah, once again, a 2nd quarter demolition.

It's incredibly predictable, I've basically been dreading the 2nd qtr coming up knowing we'll go from being competitive to an embarrassment. It's bizarre.

If you take your mind back to the games we lost with Ratten in charge there was plenty of bombing it long into the forwards line as this side has never handled numbers behind the ball. It always used to be Eddie trying to out mark 2 guys bigger than him.

This is not a new problem.
Who cares if its a new problem or not, we need a coach to rectify this and obviously MM isn't... This is not us and we don't have the player's to do it, btw we I remember we used to bomb long to eddie 1on1 and it was hilarious that he had to out mark Rutten or someone like that, our issue is that we now do it from the backline from kick outs and then again at HB if we were lucky enough to take the grab in first place... It's as if Mick has said keep doing it guys, doesn't matter if it doesn't work...

To be honest if we actually kicked accurately we could have given them a fright.

Carlton considering a cheap goal to end the match was a fairly appropriate given how the match played out for us.

To be honest if we actually kicked accurately we could have given them a fright.

Carlton considering a cheap goal to end the match was a fairly appropriate given how the match played out for us.

Or if that ball didn't bounce back over Yarran's head ... Realistically though, we should have goaled from that play regardless. We had the numbers but lacked the composure. Familiar story.

I agree though we were in with a real shot, if we'd kicked straight. We had the momentum big time for most of the last... And I think the Essendon* crowd's reaction to their final goal was evidence enough that they'd been concerned about the result.

Let's just hope that the players realise they're capable when they put the effort in and thus carry it over into next week's performance and beyond.

Well there you go.

Overall, even looking over the last few years, we rely on "making a comeback" far too often. We just shouldn't be getting so behind in the first place and unfortunately it shows that in the true heat of the game we're just not good enough.
Wait'll Fev finds out his 8 goals in our greatest ever comeback win in the club's history was all due to an * fadeout.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back