Preview Rd 4 Carlton v St Kilda Sat April 25 - 1:10 NZST - Wellington (11.10am AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
11:10am old boy.
I'll try to wave to you from windy Wellington.

Thanks for the pic yesterday. How were the old girls?

hey HBF.. i see you and MEB are going across for it...great to see! i cant speak for everyone but im sure we all appreciate that boys will have some support over there - be loud and proud!
i spent a day in wellington in december as part of a cruise...we were lucky in that it was a beautiful day (even the locals were all out and about making the most of it as they were saying its usually very windy)...sun out with no breeze, hopefully you get the same. can i just suggest that you spend some time along the waterfront...awesome! our ship was docked right near the stadium - looks cool!
for your (and all of ours) sake i hope you come back smiling.

regarding the action...im of the belief that no reiwoldt = no st kilda... no doubt he is the spiritual leader on the ground and they look lost without him, friday night was proof of this. hayes was another but obviously hes no longer around. ive got no idea whats been wrong with montagna but he usually hurts us so hopefully he doesnt come in or is underdone.
otherwise i think we can account for these guys

Would love to see us working hard and spreading when we have the ball, we got absolutely dominated in uncontested possession yesterday... then when we inevitably turned it over we had to work twice as hard chasing them around.

The best sides all spread well and move to open space, we would have to be worst in the league. We must bring in Boekhorst.

Sorry for the late write up had some issues with my computer so sending this from work.

Carlton vs. St Kilda
Round 4 – Anzac Day
11:10am @ Westpac Stadium

Last Time We Met
Round 16 – 2014.
CARLTON 6.2 10.2 17.6 24.7 (151)
ST KILDA 2.0 7.5 9.5 10.6 (66)

The Blues kicked off to a strong start with the Saints pegging back to be down by 16 at half time. The story of the game though was the second half finish by the Blues piling on 14 goals to 3 with 4 majors each to Henderson, Casboult and White which ended in a 85 point win. Everitt and Docherty were also stand-outs both finishing with 2 goals and 23 & 25 touches respectively. Carlton’s biggest score of the year.
Brownlow Votes – (3) A. Everitt (2) S. White (1) L. Henderson.

Possible Teams

B. Docherty Jamison Touhy
F. Membrey Bruce Billings
HB. Byrne Rowe Armfield
HF. Savage Riewoldt Templeton
C. Simpson Judd Walker
C. Weller Steven Minchington
HF. Bell Henderson Menzel
HB. Newnes Robertson Shenton
F. Jones Casboult Gibbs
B. Geary Delaney Dempster
Fol. Warnock Murphy Carrazzo
Fol. Longer Dunstan Armitage
Int. Everitt Whiley Cripps Boekhorst
Int. Sinclair Saad Fisher Webster​

Ins.
Warnock – We are struggling in the hit outs with Wood and pending a fitness test, I see Warnock coming in. 34 hit-outs and 20 disposals
Boekhorst – Was a toss-up between him and Buckley. 25 disposals in VFL.
Whiley – Time to see what this kid has. 29 disposals in VFL with 1 goal.
Menzel - Straight in pending injury.

Outs
Curnow – Red vest and only managed the 8 disposals.
Yarran – Suspended.
Wood – A bit unlucky but think this is the way it might go. 23 hit outs and 13 disposals.
Ellard – Needs to be able to go through the midfield more. 11 disposals and a goal.

Previous Week

Collingwood 21.14.140 def. St Kilda 10.6.66
Saints came out firing in the first and looked to have the pies number but turnovers killed them from quarter time onwards. Armitage battled all night long and Schneider showed he is still an important piece to the Saints structure.

Carlton 11.18.84 def. by Essendon 16.9.105
The Blues overcame a slow first half to almost snatch the win from the Bombers. Were wasteful in front of goal having 4 more scoring shots and smashing Essendon in the contested footy. The story of the day though was Chris Yarrans left hook to Chapman who will no doubt be out this week.

Keys to Success

Nullify Riewoldt - He would have to be the fittest CHF in the league and runs himself into the ground week in week out. All of the Blues big defenders will have to pitch it to get the job done as I can’t see just one of them running up and down the wing all day with him. Will be a nice learning experience for Jaksch if both play, we can’t afford to ignore Bruce who has kicked 10 goals in the first 3 games of the year.

Contested Footy/Outside Run – The Blues were well below the league average (138) in contested footy with 123 per game before this week’s game against Essendon. Carlton looks to struggle once getting it out of the pack now and require some outside pace to translate into more inside 50’s which we are currently averaging 46 compared to the league average of 52.

Tall Timber to Fire – Saints fans could be silenced early if the Carlton big forwards fire up. They seem to be confidence players so getting a few early ones to them could be pivotal in a win for the Blues. Won’t be an easy task for Saints defenders with Robertson (194cm), Delaney (194cm), Dempster (191cm) & Fisher (191cm) having to match the likes of Casboult (199cm), Jones (198cm), Rowe (198cm) and Henderson (196cm).

Who Wins
I think the Blues have too much class and experience to be rolled here and will get the first win of the season. Carlton by 22 points.

Last edited:
FB: Tuohy - Jamison - Simpson
HB: Docherty - Jaksch - Byrne

C: Everitt - Judd - Boekhurst
Foll: Wood - Gibbs - Cripps

HF: Murphy - Henderson - Bell
FF: Jones - Casboult - Ellard

Inter: Carrazzo, Walker and Armfield
Sub: Whiley

OUT: Rowe (Omitted), Yarran (suspended) and Curnow (Omitted).
IN: Jaksch, Boekhurst and Whiley
Alternative: Buckley

Jaksch is more mobile then Rowe and I reckon we have to reward form and penalise those without it
Curnow has been doing his job with some degree of success and I am generally a fan however I think our structures need to take advantage of winning contested clearances and go a bit more offensive
Yarran playing further up the ground is a better setup, replace his run with another runner - reward Boekhurst with a run

Even if Menzel is fit I reckon he needs to earn his spot and not sure past performances do that

OUT - Chris Yarran (Suspended), Michael Jamison, David Ellard, Ed Curnow, Bryce Gibbs (If Suspended)

IN - Kristian Jaksch, Jason Tutt, Mark Whiley, Nick Graham, Troy Menzel (If Fit)

FB - Henderson, Jaksch, Rowe
HB - Tuohy, Simpson, Walker
C - Cripps, Carrazzo, Murphy
HF - Menzel, Armfield, Bell
FF - Tutt, Casboult, Jones
R - Wood, Judd, Graham
I - Whiley, Everitt, Docherty
SUB - Byrne

EM - Curnow, Ellard, Buckley

Yarran will most likely get 2 weeks for the hook on Chapman.
Gibbs MIGHT get 1 week given the MRP's ridiculous decisions lately.
Michael Jamison has not beaten any of his forward opponents. Looks unfit. Would not risk him.
Give Curnow a week or two in the VFL, return in a few weeks time.
Ellard provides some effort and attack, but fades in and out too often.

Jaksch and Menzel should be ready for return.
Tutt might be called up again for his oustanding performance against Williamstown.
Whiley should play his first in the navy blue and Graham should get the call up.

The side seems overly defensive, but some might need to be shoved up forward.

But I personally don't believe that anybody should be dropped for this game. It is not that often one gets to experience playing in New Zealand. It is a privilege. I will feel really sorry for those who are dropped.

OUT - Chris Yarran (Suspended), Michael Jamison, David Ellard, Ed Curnow, Bryce Gibbs (If Suspended)

IN - Kristian Jaksch, Jason Tutt, Mark Whiley, Nick Graham, Troy Menzel (If Fit)

FB - Henderson, Jaksch, Rowe
HB - Tuohy, Simpson, Walker
C - Cripps, Carrazzo, Murphy
HF - Menzel, Armfield, Bell
FF - Tutt, Casboult, Jones
R - Wood, Judd, Graham
I - Whiley, Everitt, Docherty
SUB - Byrne

EM - Curnow, Ellard, Buckley

Yarran will most likely get 2 weeks for the hook on Chapman.
Gibbs MIGHT get 1 week given the MRP's ridiculous decisions lately.
Michael Jamison has not beaten any of his forward opponents. Looks unfit. Would not risk him.
Give Curnow a week or two in the VFL, return in a few weeks time.
Ellard provides some effort and attack, but fades in and out too often.

Jaksch and Menzel should be ready for return.
Tutt might be called up again for his oustanding performance against Williamstown.
Whiley should play his first in the navy blue and Graham should get the call up.

The side seems overly defensive, but some might need to be shoved up forward.

But I personally don't believe that anybody should be dropped for this game. It is not that often one gets to experience playing in New Zealand. It is a privilege. I will feel really sorry for those who are dropped.
Surely Tutt also gets a look in after that display in the twos. 28 odd dispoals and 3 goals. Would like to see Bucks, Whiley, Tutt n possibly Boaky. Yarren will be suspended, curnow Omitted, cant carry Ellard any longer as his man runs off him too easily although his a battler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see Jaksch brought in to play as 3rd tall, preferably up forward. Probably won't happen but I think he'd add needed class to our tall set up.

Jones had 5 inside 50's, and a goal (should've been two)
I noticed he pushed up the ground more often than the previous games, he did more good things than bad, I reckon he is worth persisting with.
Agree. If our forward line entries were half decent his job would be a lot easier.

Needs to kick 7 goals every week to keep his spot according to some posters.

Agree. If our forward line entries were half decent his job would be a lot easier.

Needs to kick 7 goals every week to keep his spot according to some posters.
There is apparently no in-between.

Doesn't need to kick 7 goals a game to satisfy the critics. Needs to become more than a pop up player. His biggest weakness at the Dogs seems to of followed him over... going invisible in patches throughout the game. If he's 'just' a third tall you'd expect him to be running himself into the ground.

*Continues to write s**t in hope other posters see Watson as a superior option*

Out: Curnow, Ellard, Yarran (susp.)
In: Whiley, Buckley, Graham/Boekhorst

Tough for me to drop Ellard, but we need to blood some of these young guys. Menzel is not an automatic inclusion.

FB: Simpson Jamison Docherty
HB: Byrne Henderson Tuohy
C: Walker Judd Everitt
HF: Murphy Jones Armfield
FF: Buckley Casboult Rowe
R: Wood Gibbs Cripps
INT: Carrazzo Whiley Bell
Sub: Graham/Boekhorst
So you drop ellard who put in 110% - drop carrots who gave 10%

Sorry for the late write up had some issues with my computer so sending this from work.

Carlton vs. St Kilda
Round 4 – Anzac Day
11:10am @ Westpac Stadium

Last Time We Met
Round 16 – 2014.
CARLTON 6.2 10.2 17.6 24.7 (151)
ST KILDA 2.0 7.5 9.5 10.6 (66)

The Blues kicked off to a strong start with the Saints pegging back to be down by 16 at half time. The story of the game though was the second half finish by the Blues piling on 14 goals to 3 with 4 majors each to Henderson, Casboult and White which ended in a 85 point win. Everitt and Docherty were also stand-outs both finishing with 2 goals and 23 & 25 touches respectively. Carlton’s biggest score of the year.
Brownlow Votes – (3) A. Everitt (2) S. White (1) L. Henderson.

Possible Teams

B. Docherty Jamison Touhy
F. Membrey Bruce Billings
HB. Byrne Rowe Armfield
HF. Savage Riewoldt Templeton
C. Simpson Judd Walker
C. Weller Steven Minchington
HF. Bell Henderson Menzel
HB. Newnes Robertson Shenton
F. Jones Casboult Gibbs
B. Geary Delaney Dempster
Fol. Warnock Murphy Carrazzo
Fol. Longer Dunstan Armitage
Int. Everitt Whiley Cripps Boekhorst
Int. Sinclair Saad Fisher Webster​

Ins.
Warnock – We are struggling in the hit outs with Wood and pending a fitness test, I see Warnock coming in. 34 hit-outs and 20 disposals
Boekhorst – Was a toss-up between him and Buckley. 25 disposals in VFL.
Whiley – Time to see what this kid has. 29 disposals in VFL with 1 goal.
Menzel - Straight in pending injury.

Outs
Curnow – Red vest and only managed the 8 disposals.
Yarran – Suspended.
Wood – A bit unlucky but think this is the way it might go. 23 hit outs and 13 disposals.
Ellard – Needs to be able to go through the midfield more. 11 disposals and a goal.

Previous Week

Collingwood 21.14.140 def. St Kilda 10.6.66
Saints came out firing in the first and looked to have the pies number but turnovers killed them from quarter time onwards. Armitage battled all night long and Schneider showed he is still an important piece to the Saints structure.

Carlton 11.18.84 def. by Essendon 16.9.105
The Blues overcame a slow first half to almost snatch the win from the Bombers. Were wasteful in front of goal having 4 more scoring shots and smashing Essendon in the contested footy. The story of the day though was Chris Yarrans left hook to Chapman who will no doubt be out this week.

Keys to Success

Nullify Riewoldt - He would have to be the fittest CHF in the league and runs himself into the ground week in week out. All of the Blues big defenders will have to pitch it to get the job done as I can’t see just one of them running up and down the wing all day with him. Will be a nice learning experience for Jaksch if both play, we can’t afford to ignore Bruce who has kicked 10 goals in the first 3 games of the year.

Contested Footy/Outside Run – The Blues were well below the league average (138) in contested footy with 123 per game before this week’s game against Essendon. Carlton looks to struggle once getting it out of the pack now and require some outside pace to translate into more inside 50’s which we are currently averaging 46 compared to the league average of 52.

Tall Timber to Fire – Saints fans could be silenced early if the Carlton big forwards fire up. They seem to be confidence players so getting a few early ones to them could be pivotal in a win for the Blues. Won’t be an easy task for Saints defenders with Robertson (194cm), Delaney (194cm), Dempster (191cm) & Fisher (191cm) having to match the likes of Casboult (199cm), Jones (198cm), Rowe (198cm) and Henderson (196cm).

Who Wins
I think the Blues have too much class and experience to be rolled here and will get the first win of the season. Carlton by 22 points.

Nice work Hussey14 :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

I've inserted the Preview into the OP.

If we are not gifting games, here's my team

Tuohy Jaksch walker
Byrne Rowe Docherty
Simpson cripps Everitt
Murphy Henderson judd
Menzel casboult jones
Warnock Gibbs Whiley
Bell tutt Graham Boekhorst

Out wood, Carrazzo, armfield, Ellard, curnow, Jamison and yarran

In Menzel and Jaksch hopefully are back from injury, Whiley (28poss), Graham (27 poss), Boekhorst (25 poss), tutt (28 poss, 3 goals) and Warnock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back