Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackson was pretty good last night. When he had the ball he didn't rush things, he thought about what he was going to do.

Yeah he's playing ok. But you know, this is the internet and we can't let things like this go easily :)

Just raising the warning bells on Morris. Whilst he is AFL standard he is NOT premiership standard. There's no room for a one track minded player like him in the AFL anymore. He tries hard, he is good on the ground offensively (poor in the air) but that's about it. He provides very little offensive run and more often than not hurts us with his possession. He had 8 clangers from 10 kicks today. If you're like Cotchin and get 25 kicks it's more forgiveable but this just can't go. I mentioned it at the time but now that the contact to the knees rule has been introduced, his game has been severely cutback.

There's still another 5-6 players who need to go in front of him but as I said, just raising the warning bells.

Actually Morris has been a defensive player for us. He's now been challenged with being offensive. Think he has being making good strides in his endeavor. On the offensive I think he did better this week and was playing higher up ground at times.

Yes he made clangers but given his transition from being defensive as well as offensive I'd give him some slack on the clangers. As the game went on he got better and I don't doubt he'll go back on his tapes and try harder next week.

Actually Morris has been a defensive player for us. He's now been challenged with being offensive. Think he has being making good strides in his endeavor. On the offensive I think he did better this week and was playing higher up ground at times.

Yes he made clangers but given his transition from being defensive as well as offensive I'd give him some slack on the clangers. As the game went on he got better and I don't doubt he'll go back on his tapes and try harder next week.
That's no excuse. If we are teaching him to be offensive then send him to the VFL to learn. If we were in development mode it would be excusable but for a team supposedly aiming for top four, we can't carry liabilities like Morris who are still learning their positions. According to Richmond, we are aiming to win our games, not develop our players. We play our BEST 22 players as our best 22.

Grigg was non-existent in the first half, and what do we see in the second half when we get going? A Grigg appears. In the later parts of the 2nd quarter he was at half back and kicked a VERY short pass to Jackson and Jackson had little to no opportunity to mark it and it becomes a contest. While Jackson and the Brisbane player compete for the ball, Grigg is 10m away holding onto the back of a Brisbane player and watching the ball and didn't even attempt to get around the player, like he's using the Brisbane player for protection. If we persist with this peanut we are going nowhere.
Also in the first half of the 2nd quarter, a Brisbane player was running through the corridor with ball in hand, Grigg is just jogging like a little pansy alongside him, not even breaking a sweat and didn't even attempt to smother the ball. Even Hampson can run faster than him, at least Hampson puts in effort to actually run.

I noticed this same thing while at the game, and upon second viewing I might step in to defend Grigg here, I'm pretty sure he was making sure to stay goalside of his opponent. If he'd gone helter skelter for the footy suddenly there's a Lion out the back of the contest with a clear run at goal.

But he still needs to be dropped

Ah well, it appears that as Ricky isn't available to be dumped on it's back to the default setting, Grigg!:rolleyes:
He's been s**t since 2012. We literally have no one to replace him on our list which I believe has led to this complacency.

It's not like he's been a spud his whole time here and it's not like he's declining from age.

Needs to not be so comfortable in the team and go back and earn a game. 2012 Grigg is useful. 2014 Grigg is making me want to punch a goat.

That's no excuse. If we are teaching him to be offensive then send him to the VFL to learn. If we were in development mode it would be excusable but for a team supposedly aiming for top four, we can't carry liabilities like Morris who are still learning their positions. According to Richmond, we are aiming to win our games, not develop our players. We play our BEST 22 players as our best 22.
Have to love his alligator arms. Looks like a demented donkey trying to feel up a monkey instead of catching a ball.

He's been s**t since 2012. We literally have no one to replace him on our list which I believe has led to this complacency.

It's not like he's been a spud his whole time here and it's not like he's declining from age.

Needs to not be so comfortable in the team and go back and earn a game. 2012 Grigg is useful. 2014 Grigg is making me want to punch a goat.
Didn't we drop him last year? Or was it just sub? Honestly can't remember.

Couldn't believe he had 4 tackles. I thought he had that in the first quarter!
You can tell Conca is still underdone with his cramping in the 4th, most players would be over that by now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they cheap because he's in acres of space? Because he works hard to find that much space .... serious question.
I think for me it comes down to if they are constructive. all player stat peddle to some degree, but it comes down to how good those possessions are.

nothing in those that I saw warranted any help.
I remember a Richmond of 2012 (maybe 2013) who would have at least 2 or 3 skirmishes with the opposition a game. They would even start if the opposition stepped on a Richmond player's foot accidentally.

That's the Richmond I love. :D

I remember a Richmond of 2012 (maybe 2013) who would have at least 2 or 3 skirmishes with the opposition a game. They would even start if the opposition stepped on a Richmond player's foot accidentally.

That's the Richmond I love. :D
I swear we used to do that as a momentum killer lol

Oh please. He gives us defence now he's well on his way to offence. He's hardly a liability and in no way does he deserve to go back to the 2nd's.

Oh please. He gives us defence now he's well on his way to offence. He's hardly a liability and in no way does he deserve to go back to the 2nd's.
Has his defence truly been so good this year? I'll grant you that it hasn't been awful. But can you justify keeping him in the team for only ok to decent defence? What makes you think at all that he is well on his way to offence? I personally don't see him doing anything different offensively other than sticking out like a sore thumb even more.
He becomes a liability if he has 8 clangers a game. If Morris is truly learning to be an offensive backman as you say, then yes, he should go to the VFL and learn it properly. Our next two games are Geelong and Hawthorn. If we treat those games as experimental grounds then we will be thrashed by 100 points.

If we have any chance at those games, Morris is going to be need to told that he and his opponent are not allowed to touch the ball.

Add white to that list. Most here either wanted him gone or as perm sub. Now he's the best ex rfc player since Geoff Raines

Add to this:

2013 - Blair is the man to save our club because he's getting value role players to the club cheaply

2014 - Blair is a tool because he is getting dud retreads instead of leaving pick 82 for FJ to find the next Gazza Jr
j schulz says hello

I noticed this same thing while at the game, and upon second viewing I might step in to defend Grigg here, I'm pretty sure he was making sure to stay goalside of his opponent. If he'd gone helter skelter for the footy suddenly there's a Lion out the back of the contest with a clear run at goal.
Agree with this, in fact it's the one thing that absolutely shat me about the Collingwood game, we didn't have enough players like Grigg who stayed out of the rolling mauls to stay free, time and time again Pendlebury, Swan, Beames & Sidebottom stayed out of the pack and the knock on etc ended up with them & bang!
It's a team sport & in team sports players have different roles & responsibilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back