Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you talking about the 9.30 (Arnot has a shot) and 11.50 (Jack miss kick) stages of this video? http://lon-cdn220-is-3.se.bponlinew...RICH_RD05_Q3_S_1551427322__297949.mp4?start=0

If so, I don't see a spray from Jack, and when Jack had it he was clearly trying to pass it to someone at the top of the goal square.
Mate have you memorized the game?
Wasn't in the 3rd ...pretty sure in was in the 4 th...Arny was running flat out and Jack in the pocket. Jack was filthy..I'll search for it

Mate have you memorized the game?
Wasn't in the 3rd ...pretty sure in was in the 4 th...Arny was running flat out and Jack in the pocket. Jack was filthy..I'll search for it
Arnot kicked two points. One in the first quarter when Jack was no where near it and the one I just showed you.

I think my issue with Grigg (and I think I speak for plenty of other on this board) isn't that he plays outside, and yes you do need a couple of players who run hard and play loose as link ups... But the issue is that he doesn't work hard back and doesn't tackle when it's his go. I can recall 2 instances from the Brisbane game alone where a lions player in possession basically waltzed past him and he didn't even pretend to chase him. Countless other times in the last few games. Also, he hand passes the ball to players who are under pressure and treats the ball like a hot potato when he doesn't need to. The amount of times he has crucified our players when he had had time with the ball and then handed it to someone with an opponent breathing down their neck... Grrrr. Also, he had 0 tackles the other night and hasn't laid more than 2 in any other game this year. Not good enough for a midfielder no matter how "outside" your role is IMO.

Our ball movement is slow because other teams have worked us out. Last season we were no.1 in the comp for goals from stoppages. Opposition coaches are now dropping numbers back and making this area congested and hard for us to move the ball quickly. This has made us look uncertain and forced us to move the ball slow. If we can work our way through this, it could hold us in good stead for a finals push.

Haha the things you resort to when your losing an argument

An argument based on opinions is only ever won or lost in the eyes of the beholder (s). Incidentally it was a pretty pointless argument too. Is Grigg an AFL standard footballer? Based on his history clearly yes. Is Grigg in good form this year? Based on what he has shown in previous years, no he isn't? His skill execution is down and he was not elite at that to start with, so it can be a problem but hey Jackson didn't hit a target for his first 8 years and then suddenly he became one of our most important players. There are a heap of players at any time in the AFL who are a bit out of form. Grigg is one of them. Like a lot of team-mates so far this season. For the Tigers to improve, 2nd tier players like Grigg need to be playing at or very close to their best and/or they need to be replaced. Calling players out and out spuds is just pretty useless. Some people on here need (well they should be anyway) to be constructive with their criticism. Grigg's disposal numbers have been down, his skill errors more evident and like many of his team-mates his decision-making has been atrocious at times. Playing on when Cotchin had a shot a goal, electing to kick when he needs to draw a man, taking short easy options instead of taking the game on etc etc

Not really aimed at you Reservoir tiger but I just wanted to reply to someone!

An argument based on opinions is only ever won or lost in the eyes of the beholder (s). Incidentally it was a pretty pointless argument too. Is Grigg an AFL standard footballer? Based on his history clearly yes. Is Grigg in good form this year? Based on what he has shown in previous years, no he isn't? His skill execution is down and he was not elite at that to start with, so it can be a problem but hey Jackson didn't hit a target for his first 8 years and then suddenly he became one of our most important players. There are a heap of players at any time in the AFL who are a bit out of form. Grigg is one of them. Like a lot of team-mates so far this season. For the Tigers to improve, 2nd tier players like Grigg need to be playing at or very close to their best and/or they need to be replaced. Calling players out and out spuds is just pretty useless. Some people on here need (well they should be anyway) to be constructive with their criticism. Grigg's disposal numbers have been down, his skill errors more evident and like many of his team-mates his decision-making has been atrocious at times. Playing on when Cotchin had a shot a goal, electing to kick when he needs to draw a man, taking short easy options instead of taking the game on etc etc

Extremely well said! Like, you deserve BF Platnium

I could rub the salt in the wound and make the poll myself or you can just concede that me claiming that Grigg is one of the worse players who are playing consistent senior football in the AFL was not exaggerated.

Thats why i called it an exaggerated comment. Because i thought you said the worst in the whole entire AFL. Not out of the players playing consistent senior footy. But on current form yes hes probably down there.

I really do understand your intentions of the post... However I don't think what anyone here actually posts can be either helpful or useless... It's all useless really... Nothing said here helps or hinders a team... It's just a bit of banter between people that love the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really do understand your intentions of the post... However I don't think what anyone here actually posts can be either helpful or useless... It's all useless really... Nothing said here helps or hinders a team... It's just a bit of banter between people that love the game.

Oh yeah, no effect on the team or players whatsoever, I was talking about the discussion itself. It's so much more interesting to read constructive arguments than just flat out statements like 'biggest spud', 'squib' etc etc. And again, not talking about you here, just an overall comment

Hi Shaun. Happy birthday. Did you get the VFL jumper I mailed you?
196fuarapyylmgif.gif

Yes ok you all have your opinion and i have mine. He might not be in your best 22 but he definatley is in mine. I have no more points to argue so have a good day!
We lose people aren't happy, we win they aren't happy, we don't get trades right they aren't happy, we get trades right they aren't happy. Love it!

Last edited:
Yes ok you all have your opinion and i have mine. He might not be in your best 22 but he definatley is in mine. I have no more points to argue so have a good day!
Looks like it's just you, me, a hand full of others and the Richmond coaching staff & match committee that think he's in or best 22. Oh well life on the road.

Have you noticed how easily and quickly brisbane were able to score against us a couple times on thursday night because of this? not sure what quarter it was, but we had this really long, drawn out build up of over possession, all for someone to turn it over in our attacking 50 and then brisbane went coast to coast in record time because all our numbers had been used to move the ball into attack (geez I haven't explained this well but I hope you get the picture). Kinda makes me wonder...do we really have the cattle to play this high possession/tempo style of footy? Our skills will always let us down when we try to do this.

I think I understand and I would say we need a couple with the speed of Cyril and Hill... plus Lids, I think I just drooled on my keyboard...:oops::D

Most probably know this but Grigg is being exposed due mainly to the increasing defensive emphasis in AFL. When we are going well his skill set makes us more attacking, when we are going bad his skill set leaves us with less options and when down on confidence as well (which I think he is & not alone), what he does bring suffers a lot too.He could probably use a run in the 2's, but as was mentioned who could replace him and bring more to the team ? A difficult issue for the coaches ( I'm guessing they know him better than most of us, so maybe they believe he can play himself back into form?). I think he plays his best footy when he does get involved in tackling & those stats are very difficult to take from an AFL player (re-tackling).The only choice the boys have really is to keep working hard and things will turn (at least doing so gives them the best possible chance, no other options really). It seems the evolution of the game plus our injuries has really hurt us at this stage. On the upside though some of the younger blokes/newbies have been very encouraging (Griff, D.A, Buscuit, Lloyd, Gordo..:thumbsu:

Most probably know this but Grigg is being exposed due mainly to the increasing defensive emphasis in AFL. When we are going well his skill set makes us more attacking, when we are going bad his skill set leaves us with less options and when down on confidence as well (which I think he is & not alone), what he does bring suffers a lot too.He could probably use a run in the 2's, but as was mentioned who could replace him and bring more to the team ? A difficult issue for the coaches ( I'm guessing they know him better than most of us, so maybe they believe he can play himself back into form?). I think he plays his best footy when he does get involved in tackling & those stats are very difficult to take from an AFL player (re-tackling).The only choice the boys have really is to keep working hard and things will turn (at least doing so gives them the best possible chance, no other options really). It seems the evolution of the game plus our injuries has really hurt us at this stage. On the upside though some of the younger blokes/newbies have been very encouraging (Griff, D.A, Buscuit, Lloyd, Gordo..:thumbsu:
I agree with this and my comment is not directed at you TJTIGER but your post is really useful stuff in accord with what I have been thinking. Surely Grigg is supposed to be accountable to the two way move forward on attack and get back and defend style of footy you rightly call the 'defensive emphasis' of current day AFL. Unless he has been deliberately instructed to seek space at all times and in all situations I don't understand the one dimensional way he is playing this year. Whether or not he is being held to account over it I wouldn't know but if he is not getting back or taking a man then surely this is flat out exposing a loose man on the opposition in equal space going back the other way?

I like Grigg and much prefer him in form and in the 22 but after you watch football for the best part of 35 years at AFL level you notice stuff that at the elite level is inexcusable. Stuff like dropping your head and backing out of a mark, not going in hard for a tackle (I don't mean a broken tackle I mean just not going for a tackle) not going back to make a spoil when it's your turn to do so. Grigg just seems to be missing in action despite his stats. Really hope he bounces back fast.

Last edited:
Basics, 1%ers
Stop looking at what he does bad. Stop going off 4 bad games hes had this year. He was solid against Brisbane and one of Richmonds best.
The issue for me is we can do better than he produces at the moment. If a player can do that then he needs to replaced with that player. When we get our 3 best back, that player for me is Gordon.

Watched the replay again and was disappointed to see Jack go off his nut at Matty Arnot for not passing it to him ( Jack was in the pocket) instead Arny went for goal and just missed....

The irony was not even 3 minutes later, Jack ( who was on the boundary 40 m out )had an option of passing it to a player free 20m out but chose to kick a miraculous goal...instead shanked it to a lions player...turnover cost us a goal..

Just don't like seeing that sort of crap coming from a senior player- publicly remonstrating with your ( young) team mate ...doesn't instill confidence

Still liked Jacks game though
From what I saw, he did neither. He was trying to pass to a player, near the goal square, but he should've had a shot. That was a simple banana on the run, but alas he did shank it. It certainly didn't look like a miraculous shot to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back