Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2012
The suburbs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, Ferrari, Minardi
Its been a rough week to be an Eagles supporter, with the possibility of yet another long term injury to one of our key defenders presenting itself with Jeremy McGovern suffering a knee injury last week against the Dockers. Considering that the "Gov" has been one of our best players this year (if not the best), his long-term absence in defence this year would have been a crushing blow. But we did have some good news from the club doctors, who informed us gleefully that no major damage had been done and that the Gov could play this weekend. He has been named in the 25. Hopefully they won't pull a Selwood on us and risk him this weekend. We can only hope.

The defeat to the Dockers last week in the Western Derby was like a slap in the face. The first quarter was an absolute shambles. We were comprehensively pantsed for twenty minutes; even the Perth Demons could have done better. I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say that the first quarter was the worst I have ever seen the Eagles play. For many it rammed home that maybe the proud Eagles were paying for their hubris and are destined for a long period in the footy wilderness.

However, that didn't stop many an ill-informed observer venting on Facebook, bemoaning our injuries and blaming Simpson for the sides' insipid performance, saying that we could have won. The other unfortunate thing was that we lost by 30 points - the margin would have been more representative of our performance without the addition of junk-time fourth quarter goals. If anything, the result against the Dockers cemented our midfield's mediocrity. Tough decisions need to be made and many of us consider this to be a test of Simpson's fortitude and moral courage. Will he have the canastas to drop entrenched players who are lazy and not up to the task? Will he read the riot act to the playing group and put careers on the line? Only time will tell.

Which brings us to this week. Here we are at Round 4 of the 2015 Season, with the Eagles traveling to Brisbane to play the Lions at the Gabba. This is an interesting proposition for the Eagles, with Brisbane sitting in dead last on the ladder, having lost to Collingwood, North (a thrashing) and Richmond (another thrashing).

They are struggling with injury as bad as we are, having lost Sam Mayes, McGrath and Claye Beams from the team that got pumped by Richmond last weekend. The big surpise for mine is the possible shock return of their AA Captain, Tom Rockliff. Rocky (a fitting nickname) has been out for the last three weeks since suffering fractured ribs and a punctured lung against Collingwood. If he lines up against us I expect his ribs to get an absolute workout from all of our players. Perhaps our doctors have inspired other clubs to rush their stars back into playing when the risk probably isnt worth it.

Doctor bashing aside, let's have a look at the team announcements:

West Coast:
In: Bennell, McInness, Colledge
Out: TBA

Brisbane:
In: Leuenberger, Rockliff, Golby, Lester, Robertson, Cutler
Out: Maguire, Mayes, McGrath

Hopefully Bennell is brought in to combat the Lion's 'mosquito brigade' - small forwards such as Green, Zorko and Taylor. McInness could fill a KPD/KPF role for us and is most likely a cover for McGovern, but I wouldnt mind seeing him debut to give the Gov another week to rest or even to shore up our defence to unleash Elliot Yeo as a full-time mid. Colledge has been bashing the door down after some good performances in the WAFL and is looking to come into the midfield. I am of the opinion that some of our downhill skiers need a strong message by being dropped this weekend. Hopefully that happens.

Brisbane have brought in a ruckman in Leuenberger; debutant Harris Andrews got ragdolled in the ruck against Ivan Maric so they are most likely covering our ruck duo. However, he may keep his place to keep developing him as a KPF. Golby, Lester, Cutler and Robertson are midfielders/utilities most likely being brought in to cover the loss of like players to injury. The Lions are rebuilding, but they do have a solid midfield who could challenge our dominance in the middle, but they are weaker in their forward and defensive lines.

This may not be the walkover that many think it will be; Brisbane are wounded, but that still doesn't mean that these Lions can't give us a mauling this weekend. Unfortunately, a crushing win will entrench the 'flat-track bullies' tag that we have been given by the wider AFL community. I feel we need some tough lessons this year to make reform happen.

I remember sitting in the stands at the Gabba in 2012 as Brisbane came back to beat us in the last minutes of the game by 2 points. Please don't so this to me again boys.

I will be going to this game, drop me a line if you're going too. It'd be good to see a big WC presence on the other side of the country.

Prediction: Eagles by 5 goals.

Last edited:
I don't get the whole flat track bully thing. Are they saying we should slow down once the game is in our hands and deliberately win by less? Does Clarko say at half time against the demons just chill out a bit boys don't get over a 40 point lead.

Kennedy what a dickhead for kicking 10 goals right?

I don't get the whole flat track bully thing. Are they saying we should slow down once the game is in our hands and deliberately win by less? Does Clarko say at half time against the demons just chill out a bit boys don't get over a 40 point lead.

Kennedy what a dickhead for kicking 10 goals right?

I don't think anyone's problem is with us flogging bad sides, it's with us constantly losing against good ones. Or even middle of the road ones. We are massive flat track bullies.

Priddis - 30 touches, 10 clearances and a goal
Wellingham - 25 touches and 2 goals
Shuey - 3 goals and 30

West Coast to win by 45, pats on the back all round and a false sense of security.

I don't want my team to loose, but honestly I would feel worse some how if we flogged them by 50.. We are 3 weeks away from getting an opportunity to respond to the Freo loss IMO.

Shuey - 3 goals and 30

West Coast to win by 45, pats on the back all round and a false sense of security.

I don't want my team to loose, but honestly I would feel worse some how if we flogged them by 50.. We are 3 weeks away from getting an opportunity to respond to the Freo loss IMO.
With you on this one 100% mate. Really want the boys to show some mettle and mix it with a good team.

Ill be flying in this on Sunday...
#returnthewings
39745-west-coast-eagles-2015-woollen-guernsey-pre-sale-2000.jpg

Shuey - 3 goals and 30

The clubs media will talk us like heros only to come crashing back down to earth against a decent team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What even is that?

Good preview, think we will belt the Lions just to settle back into our comfort zone as flat-track bullies.
Its a woollen 'heritage' guernsey. Unfortunately I also see a whipping for the Lions propping up our false confidence in our team.

In my next performance review, I'm going to tell my employer that I'm not incompetent, I just lack intent.

But you're still very excited about the journey you're on. Once you hit the magic 50 years service mark, you expect your output to increase substantially, but you'll likely remain inconsistent until then.

I had a dream that McGinnity had a blinder, kicking a few goals, restricting Rich to ~10 possessions and cementing himself in the team for the rest of the year. His usual shank kicks somehow found a teammate, lucky bounces meant he got the ball after Rich had left him behind - and the commentators were saying how cleverly he was playing, how his hard work and intent was finally paying off. It was one of those dreams where I was screaming and terrified but couldn't move my limbs to escape, like when you're dreaming that you are being chased by a killer but your body is made of concrete. I woke up in a cold sweat and poured myself some more scotch. But I couldn't shake the feeling that this was no mere dream. This was a premonition.

I don't think this will be as easy as everyone seems to think.

To succeed you need motivation and skills. After three losses I am thinking Brisbane's motivation will be right up there, God knows our "intent" is hit and miss at best. As for skills, well we have all been witnesses to that....

good preview, a win over the Lions at home after three loses wont be easy as they are at home and under pressure to perform, i expect this game to be a real war as both teams have something to prove.

An enduring problem of our ladder position last year is that our 2015 fixture is littered with games like this where our downhill skiers get regular chances to flex their muscles and retain their spots. What we really need is a tough run of 4 consecutive games against sides in the top half of the ladder. Either we'll finally work out how to beat those teams or a whole month of underperforming will actually lead to some much-needed changes - we win both ways.

Our first two games at the gabba have shown there's little to no home-ground advantage, or at least there won't be untill we pull our fingers out after the bye like every year. Lions to play a little better with a drier ball but still get flogged. West Coast by 63. Good luck and hopefully there are no more injuries for either side.

I had a dream that McGinnity had a blinder, kicking a few goals, restricting Rich to ~10 possessions and cementing himself in the team for the rest of the year. His usual shank kicks somehow found a teammate, lucky bounces meant he got the ball after Rich had left him behind - and the commentators were saying how cleverly he was playing, how his hard work and intent was finally paying off. It was one of those dreams where I was screaming and terrified but couldn't move my limbs to escape, like when you're dreaming that you are being chased by a killer but your body is made of concrete. I woke up in a cold sweat and poured myself some more scotch. But I couldn't shake the feeling that this was no mere dream. This was a premonition.
34e2s80.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back