Status
Not open for further replies.
Date: Friday April 25

Time: 7:45 PM local (5:45pm AEST)

Venue: Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand

Weather: 19° Cloudy

Preview by Fatcat08

Lest We Forget,

Those will be the words that will linger in the ears of both teams this week, and for the Lions it will be the first time that they have that extra meaning that comes from playing on ANZAC Day. While some may bemoan the fact that this will be one of those games that take our Melbourne tally down by one, I can't help feeling that as a player, playing on ANZAC Day at the home of our long time ally across the ditch, will be something special. Its a special day for both countries, where we remember those who have laid down their lives for the freedoms we enjoy every day. In typical Aussie style, I doubt that those who have fallen would want it any other way than us sitting down with a beer, a bbq and a footy game of any kind on the TV.

While the year has started in fairly solemn fashion for we who follow the maroon, blue and gold, it's moments like these that should have us all sitting down this week with, take a deep breath and grab a bit of perspective.

That certainly doesn't mean we should just shrug off some of the efforts we've seen this year, that's for sure. We've been solid in patches, brilliant in flashes and pretty bloody ordinary for the majority. While some have bemoaned the effort, others our fitness I tend to sit in the skills and execution department. You can have the first two, but if you don't have the last part the others just tend to fade into the background. When you miss targets by hand and foot, you put pressure on your teammates and yourself, you have to run further for longer and you have to continually do it over and over again. It compounds everything and before you know it you're stuffed, both mentally and physically.

So what can we expect this week? The Saints shocked most people last week in beating a fairly impressive Bombers team so far this season. The blueprint for their win is one that we've been calling for every game so far this season. It was a victory led by their senior players in Hayes, Montagna, Reiwoldt, Schneider and Gwilt and a fairly consistent effort from the rest of their younger players. Its the sort of senior player led effort that we've been craving. Rockliff is out there giving it his all, but for the majority of the time he's played as a loan hand. Some have stood up for a period within a game, or perhaps even one game itself but none have done it for the length of time we need with our injury list.

Looking at the cupboard its still pretty bare. Merrett will come back this week although his form pre-suspension doesn't tend to fill you with confidence. Green may be back although last weeks injury report had him 2 weeks away. Raines and Polks were again listed as influential in the reserves reports however one tends to think their papers have been stamped, while O'Brien was also in there and may come into the mix. There was something to like about each of the draftees again last week with all of them showing something in different ways. Some have said that Aish could do with a rest, however I tend to think the way he goes about it, while unassuming and without the explosive highlights of others, is the most rounded and complete of the newbies.

For me, I still think we're a bit tall down back and with Merrett back there Lisle is the one I would have coming out in a swap. The other change I would make is Green in for Gardiner if he's fit. I just don't see how 4 talls would match up on the Saints forward line and our lack of run off our backline is continuing to be a problem.

So how does this one go? There are two things working in our favour this week. The first is that the Saints have 100% losing record in Wellington which can only be a good thing. The second is that they don't call it windy Wellington for nothing, a quick weather search shows it to be mild and breezy. What's breezy in Wellington...... 31-42 km/h, and as someone who as an opening bowler had the keeper standing up at the stumps, I can assure you it can get far far worse than that. Given we can't hit a target by foot or hand in even the best conditions you'd have to think that's got to even things out a bit. What we will have the joy of seeing are 2 key forwards who will one day sit in the hall of fame and currently sit 3 goals apart on the all time goal kicking list.

All up I'll be looking for a steady improvement in most areas, particularly from our senior players. Do that and we may end up with our first win of the season.

The inclusion of Merrett will be a massive boost especially as Reiwodlt is still producing top level football well after most key forwards have begun their slide. St Kilda showed plenty of run against Essendon and that will be a serious worry for us. We showed improvement against Richmond, but the level shown on in that match still isn't going to get us a win against anyone, we need further improvement and be able to maintain a higher level of output for longer, do that and we can push St Kilda.

St Kilda will still be too good and it does ask the question why we didn't actively approach Richardson in the manner St Kilda did. Both Port Adelaide and now St Kilda have gone about successfully appointing quality coaches by targetting a single bloke, none of the interview 4-5 blokes and picking the one who does the best presentation, a targetted approach looking purely at one man only. Both clubs are now reaping the rewards for the approach.

St Kilda by 32 points

What evidence is there that Richardson is any good?

St Kilda will still be too good and it does ask the question why we didn't actively approach Richardson in the manner St Kilda did. Both Port Adelaide and now St Kilda have gone about successfully appointing quality coaches by targetting a single bloke, none of the interview 4-5 blokes and picking the one who does the best presentation, a targetted approach looking purely at one man only. Both clubs are now reaping the rewards for the approach.

Your answer is that Richardson knocked us back.

Also the idea that Port targeted Hinkley is hilarious - they got knocked back by coach after coach. Eade pulled out, making Ratten the favourite. Ratten pulled out, so Leon Cameron was about to be appointed. Cameron pulled out, leaving only Hinkley. I actually remember that offseason - it was a ******* debarcle. Port got ridiculously lucky that Hinkley was the last man standing.

Good preview Fatcat08.

Apparently St Kilda are on the plane to Wellington this morning. Not sure when we fly out.

That means the Saints only had two days in Melbourne to properly recover before heading into unfamiliar facilities in a different country.

If we can hang on in this game for as long as possible, we really should finish stronger.

I reckon it's time Taylor had a bit of a breather, particularly if Green returns. Cutler has done enough to keep his spot in the team, but might be squeezed out if Hanley returns.

Merrett comes in for one of Gardiner or Lisle. Or perhaps they both miss and Harwood returns. It's a tricky one because both Riewoldt and Stanley are tricky matchups, and Riewoldt in particular might need more than one opponent. It might be that Merrett picks him up deep forward and Patfull goes with him up the ground.

I think Clarke will go to Riewoldt for the experience.

Also the idea that Port targeted Hinkley is hilarious - they got knocked back by coach after coach. Eade pulled out, making Ratten the favourite. Ratten pulled out, so Leon Cameron was about to be appointed. Cameron pulled out, leaving only Hinkley. I actually remember that offseason - it was a ******* debarcle. Port got ridiculously lucky that Hinkley was the last man standing.

Yeah, I was on the Richardson bandwagon at the time...Might have it wrong, but I seem to remember Richardson withdrawing was more him wanting a firm guarantee of his future (2 -3 years) and us wanting the best available between Richardson Tudor, Simpson, Leppa and Craig. At the time I felt he mustn't have interviewed well or didn't have a high opinion of himself to beat the opposition candidates...St.Kilda's coaching position opened after most coaches had been appointed to their roles....and a bit like Ports he was pretty much the last assistant standing.. and there was no problem guaranteeing/meeting his future.

Wanting to sack our coach already, with the injury list that we have, after 5 matches, is the definition of hysterics and knee jerk. What a disgusting and thoughtless comment.

"You know what we need? To make irrational decisions and create more instability!"

Fatcat08 cracking preview mate, especially the opening paragraph; I think it's pretty special to be able to see our boys running round on ANZAC Day over in front of our local allies.

I also agree that it's been our skills and execution that has been the most damaging, and that it in turn affects our perceived effort.

Last edited:
Hi guys, should be a close game on Friday. I think some of us Saints are a bit overconfident (I was aswell) about beating you guys, but I think it will be alot closer than most people expect. Really its a neutral ground, we lose Schneider to suspension, who really provides quality disposal and inside 50s aswell as having the ability to kick a goal or two.

We might also give one of the kids a rotation but that's unlikely. Apparently Hanley is a chance to play? Any word on that? Also who do you think will go to Riewoldt? I assume you'll rotate a few defenders on him, you have to I guess. Maybe you have a kid that has a big enough body to compete? I've noticed that often in the past the only way to beat him is to either double/triple team him, or in some cases, teams have put very inexperienced defenders on him and they've done wonders and stopped him from kicking a bag.

Anyway good luck on ANZAC day, but not too much ;)

But Haso, a good coach has an ace up his sleeve when 8 senior players are out and nearly 50% of our team are under 25 games of experience. Clearly Leppas fault! ;)

Great preview and I'm excited to see the boys take it to the saints. This is certainly a chance to get our first win. 8 day break as opposed to their shorter break will give us a rested edge. It'll come
down purely to want, skill and execution.

Round 5, 2014

C0W2UcS.png

Play with squiggles

Cross post from Final Siren's work but it looks to be a reasonably good match in terms of Offence and Defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eade & Ratten pulled out before the change in administration which was also the one that wanted to appoint Leon Cameron, Port before Koch took over was a very different place and off-field they were a rabble, infighting in the baord was rife, to a point where the board had become unworkable.

Richardson did knock us back, but we didn't target him alone, we told him he was part of the process and asked if he wanted to apply. St Kilda went to him and told him they wanted him as senior coach, no interview, no presentation to the board, just come have a look sign your contract and it is done. This is a very different approach, the club has head hunted their man and got him. We need to do more of this rather than the old view of do you want to be a senior coach? Then come give us a presentation and we'll appoint the person who talks the BS we like the most to the job.

Eade & Ratten pulled out before the change in administration which was also the one that wanted to appoint Leon Cameron, Port before Koch took over was a very different place and off-field they were a rabble, infighting in the baord was rife, to a point where the board had become unworkable.

I agree with all that, but the point remains that Hinkley was the only man left in their process. At no point did Port specifically target Hinkley.

On Richardson, St Kilda had Mark Williams in mind but they fell out over the length of the contract.

Jumper we are wearing this week is ok.

-don't like the "Lest we forget" tramp stamp.

- why couldn't they reduce paddle pops size four years ago? Least it's gone soon .

I get the Anzac connection, but that would have to be the only explanation for why two lowly teams are playing an AFL match in rugby mad Wellington in front of a few hundred largely expat and/or visiting supporters. Is this our blockbuster?
Anyway, recognising this is not the vent thread, I am hopeful our likely inclusions will be enough to get us across the line against a side that has just had a good win but otherwise in terms of talent is pretty much on par with us I would have thought.

A pleasing preview Fatcat08 both in nature and character. :thumbsu:

Also liked the suggested heads-up on O'Brien - a small fast, ball magnet type who is currently averaging 30+ disposals in the NEAFL.

An inclusion to the squad heading over to NZ would not suprise. Also look forward to possible inclusions of Merrett, Hanley and Green. The saints will be brimming with confidence after their win against the bombers. I'll be feet up, drink in hand looking at the TV for continued improvement from our boys...
We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.
- "Chesty" Puller, US Marine Corps.

I get the Anzac connection, but that would have to be the only explanation for why two lowly teams are playing an AFL match in rugby mad Wellington in front of a few hundred largely expat and/or visiting supporters. Is this our blockbuster?
Anyway, recognising this is not the vent thread, I am hopeful our likely inclusions will be enough to get us across the line against a side that has just had a good win but otherwise in terms of talent is pretty much on par with us I would have thought.
22 thousand there last year... more than what are attending some recent Gabba games?

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.
- "Chesty" Puller, US Marine Corps.

My favourite:

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- Ferdinand Foch

A pleasing preview Fatcat08 both in nature and character. :thumbsu:

Also liked the suggested heads-up on O'Brien - a small fast, ball magnet type who is currently averaging 30+ disposals in the NEAFL.

An inclusion to the squad heading over to NZ would not suprise. Also look forward to possible inclusions of Merrett, Hanley and Green. The saints will be brimming with confidence after their win against the bombers. I'll be feet up, drink in hand looking at the TV for continued improvement from our boys... - "Chesty" Puller, US Marine Corps.
yeh another positive write up on the lions site ressies wrap about ZOB, he must be close to being elevated, 33 touches and 10 CLEARANCES that's massive.

Rainesy also had 32 touches, and be interested to hear from peeps who actually saw ressies play on weekend, because in the ressies write up (on lions website) it said how good his ball use was. Which nearly knocked me off my couch. If his ball use has improved I can still see us a place for him in our best 22.

Interesting it has been the senior saints players who have been standing up while some of our senior players have had/ are having huge from slumps.
The interesting selection question for me this week is about the tall forwards, Can we play Brown, McGuane, Paps and paine in the same team.

We may be able to pull an upset off. But in all likeliness it will be St. Kilda by 4-5 goals... :(

Can't wait for this game, well the game doesn't matter so much, I'm just looking froward to the trip to NZ. If we win it will be a bonus.

TomFC I believe our boys fly Thursday morning.

If Green and Hanley both get up, wouldn't mind seeing something like this as our lineup.

B: Golby, Merrett, Adcock
HB: Patfull, Clarke, Hanley
C: Rockliff, Lester, Paparone
HF: Zorko, Brown, Mayes
F: Green, Paine, McGuane
Foll: West, Moloney, Redden

Bench: Robertson, Cutler, Taylor
Sub: Aish

I had thought about dropping Golby but I still like his work as a shut down small defender, rather than the rebounder they're trying to push him into. As far as defensive work one on one he's one of our better smalls. Aish gets the sub vest, perhaps as a slight refresher. While I'm not a fan of giving a guy 1 game and dropping him, Gardiner goes out as Merrett comes back in and Patfull holds onto his spot despite some pretty ordinary footy of late.

Hanley and Cutler will rotate in that rebound defender/wingman role when Paps comes off for a spell or drifts into the forward line. I still think Brown's best spot is CHF, he's not the stand in the goalsquare type of guy, and endurance and workrate are his two biggest strengths right now. Would like to see him and Paparone alternating making longer leads up the ground with the other then drifting forward and over the back. I'd give McGuane another game, he was horrid but he's coming back from injury (and a little early and underdone I think) so he stays in. Main issue here is a lack of a ruck chopout but Saints aren't the tallest backline around so Merrett can provide the backup when needed with Lester or Cutler dropping back to play a bit taller.

I think we've got plenty of ball winners in there and will provide us with first hands on the ball. Its an area I think we can get on top of St Kilda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back