Preview Rd 6, 2014 - Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the club saying that Hanley and Green will be back, so I trust they will:

If, from above, we're going Hanley/Merrett/Green/Polkinghorne in I'd be happy with that, they're good ins and add a lot to the group. Will be interesting to see what the changes are.

I can see Aish dominating this game. He is well due for it and against the weakest midfield we have played this year.

A 23 man squad was sent to NZ with Raines, Polkinghorne, Green, Hanley and Merrett as the inclusions. Does anyone have the full list? thanks

Going to be a wet one. Could lose this one at selection if we go in too tall.

We have a bit of a dilemma for our defenders this week. The Saints don't have a lot of tall forwards but the ones they do have (Riewoldt and Stanley) have excellent endurance and will burn off pretty much anyone we could name on them.

Hickey is also pretty hard to run with. West will have his work cut out chasing him into the backline.

So we're pretty much forced to pick more tall defenders than would be ideal and try and get them to work collectively. That leaves us a player short somewhere else.

Hes not the Saints number one ruck and hes probably not even their number two at this stage. He only played last week because Hickey(I think?) couldnt get up for it and their other prefered guy has an injury to.

I realize that, doesn't stop me hoping for the opportunity to give him a lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize that, doesn't stop me hoping for the opportunity to give him a lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only Leuey was playing too, then it'd be back to school Billy!

But as it stands neither of them will play (and definitely not in Leuey's case :()

Last edited:
This is just one of the articles I've read about the 5 inclusions: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...g-against-saints/story-fnlpeek0-1226892637184
But I wouldnt be worried, Robbo was the best out of the 1st year players last week so I'd expect him to travel
And since there is a 23 man squad going there will only be 4 outs, they said the last will be determined by the conditions

Just so you know, when an article is published online at 9pm on a certain date, it's usually written to appear in the following day's paper. So when it says 'tomorrow' it can mean 'the day after tomorrow'.

They should really fix stuff like that up in the online edition, but often they don't.

Leppa wants a tall back line = fact... Showing no confidence in any of his small defenders and its showing = fact. Brisbane will continue to be scored heavily against unless Leppa can swallow his pride and change the gameplan up = IMO

manny_1.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So do we know who is the travelling 23?

I reckon... 1. Polkinghorne, 2. Green, 3. Raines, 4. Merrett, 5. Hanley
'Untouchable'? 6. Adcock, 7. Rockliff, 8. Redden, 9. Brown, 10. Moloney, 11. Patfull, 12. Mayes, 13. Clarke, 14. Zorko, 15. Aish, 16. West
Should be there / playing (in order)...? 17. Robertson, 18. Cutler, 19. McGuane, 20. Paperone, 21. Lester, 22. Bewick/Taylor
Travelling emergencies... ? 23. Lisle, 24. Bewick/Taylor
Not travelling... 25. Paine ,26. Gardiner, 27. Golby
Meaning...
FB: Adcock, Merrett, Patfull
HB: Hanley, Clarke, Cutler
C: Raines, Rockliff, Aish
HF: Mayes, McGuane, Polkinghorne
FF: Green, Brown, Paperone
Foll: West, Redden, Moloney
Int: Robertson, Lester, Zorko
Sub: Bewick/Taylor

St Kilda have had a fine start to the season. They should win by 3-4 goals. As long as we are competitive for 4 quarters I'm relatively happy with that. If we fall in a heap and get caned then I'm not. IMO our best chance so far to get some points on the board.

What's the general consensus on Stefan Martin? With Leu out, I would only assume he's comes straight in? Very talented in my opinion

Surely some talls will come out this week? Anyway it is good to see that at least 4 experienced players and bigger bodies will come in to the side this week. What a difference players returning from injury/suspension makes in regards to experience:):thumbsu:

What's the general consensus on Stefan Martin? With Leu out, I would only assume he's comes straight in? Very talented in my opinion

Injured. Probably out for a while. Might be on the chopping block at the end of the season.

Pardon my ignorance but if Raines plays who is he going to tag? If he didn't come in for Cotchin or Ablett why select him to travel this week.

Pardon my ignorance but if Raines plays who is he going to tag? If he didn't come in for Cotchin or Ablett why select him to travel this week.
Perhaps Leppa has a different role planned for him. He has played a fair bit on the wing in the reserves. He wasn't in good enough form in the reserves to earn a call up against Ablett or Cotchin.

Perhaps Leppa has a different role planned for him. He has played a fair bit on the wing in the reserves. He wasn't in good enough form in the reserves to earn a call up against Ablett or Cotchin.
I'm going to guess his disposal or some other aspect of his game needed work and has improved. With the opposition's best midfielders tearing us apart at the moment (Johnson, Selwood, Boak, Ebert, Cotchin, Ablett) I'd be very surprised if he wasn't tagging.

if he was going to tag anyone i reckon it would be jack steven - kids a beast. their most damaging midfielder

Just so you know, when an article is published online at 9pm on a certain date, it's usually written to appear in the following day's paper. So when it says 'tomorrow' it can mean 'the day after tomorrow'.

They should really fix stuff like that up in the online edition, but often they don't.
So is the article reliable or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back