Preview Rd 6, 2014 - Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prize.
323653-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

I'll resist the urge to give my history teacher spiel about the legend of Simpson and his donkey being more myth than reality. ;)

This might be the first time since 2009 that we've worn the least bad uniform on the field.

Incidentally, if the above had been our design from the start, I'm not sure I'd have had such a problem with it. It looks better without all the blue.

But we're not at best 22 stage at the moment. I also think that Raines has an underrated ball winning ability. He can get the footy, inside and out. Obviously, he then butchers it but given we're getting smashed in disposals and contested footy stats, maybe a less defensively focused Raines will actually improve the side in the short term.

A role similar to Dan Jackson's at Richmond might be what is being planned.

Dunno really. Just guessing but I'm not locked in to Raines in a negating role just yet.
The hope of reading these sorts of posts have me returning in hope to this board. :thumbsu:

Had been thinking something similar myself but did not consider a player link - if Raines was able to achieve this player metamorphosis it would certainly be a win/win for both player and team!

Random thought:
Polks and Raines on the plane, I believe.

Moloney struggled to run as sub last week.

There must be a chance Moloney will miss for one of those two.
10307226_10154114819725173_8879455509396774371_n.jpg

Think I can see Moloney at the back. Could be Polks though :/

10307226_10154114819725173_8879455509396774371_n.jpg

Think I can see Moloney at the back. Could be Polks though :/

Polks is at the back behind Mayes who is next to Hanley. Raines is standing up on the right hand side and on his right is Moloney.

Eade & Ratten pulled out before the change in administration which was also the one that wanted to appoint Leon Cameron, Port before Koch took over was a very different place and off-field they were a rabble, infighting in the baord was rife, to a point where the board had become unworkable.

Richardson did knock us back, but we didn't target him alone, we told him he was part of the process and asked if he wanted to apply. St Kilda went to him and told him they wanted him as senior coach, no interview, no presentation to the board, just come have a look sign your contract and it is done. This is a very different approach, the club has head hunted their man and got him. We need to do more of this rather than the old view of do you want to be a senior coach? Then come give us a presentation and we'll appoint the person who talks the BS we like the most to the job.

Richardson had previously presented to the saints in 2012 at the same time Watters did. This was why the saints did not ask him to present again. He probably not going to change his philosophy during that time.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Reading into things a bit, but the way Mayes answered the question about us viewing this game as very winable on the fancast, i think we might be looking at bringing in the likes of Polks and Raines for that experience and bigger bodies we've been lacking. I doubt they would have made much difference against the better teams, and despite good recent form, Saints are a team that will be around us on the ladder. I just get the feeling we will really be going for the win in this game at the selection table, even if it is at the cost of a few young ones if need be.

Merrett, Green and Hanley are the auto ins, Lisle, Bewick and Gardiner would be the outs for me, although Lisle doing ruck duties makes it hard, so he might keep his spot with Golby making way. Then consider maybe Raines and/or Polks, it gets harder finding someone to drop, unless we give the likes of Taylor or Robbo a break. I could maybe see Lester making way for Raines. We've lacked that touch of pace in the middle, and Robbo has proven his worth in the middle winning the hard ball. Along with rocky, Redden, Moloney, Zorko, green it's a decent center square set up, and Lester might just be the inside player to make way for more run. Has been dropped once, so might happen again. Polks i'd maybe bring in to replace Taylor or maybe even Aish if they are needing a rest. If it does happen and one goes out, i'd use the other as a sub to help rest the pair of them up.

so in short, i think we will go with the following changes-

OUT: Bewick, Gardiner, Golby, Lester
IN: Green, Merrett, Hanley, Raines

Although my preference would be to leave Golby in the team and take out Lisle instead.

The hope of reading these sorts of posts have me returning in hope to this board. :thumbsu:

Had been thinking something similar myself but did not consider a player link - if Raines was able to achieve this player metamorphosis it would certainly be a win/win for both player and team!

Cheers Fred.

In terms of a player link, how about Clint Jones? From what I've seen, Jones has been given a bit more of a licence this year and he's responded. He's occasionally playing a wider role (top 20 in comp for uncontested possessions) and using his incredible engine to get up and back and find the footy. From what I've seen, his disposal has alternated between reasonable (ie hits enough targets when not under huge pressure) and awful. I reckon Raines is probably capable of that.

Richardson had previously presented to the saints in 2012 at the same time Watters did. This was why the saints did not ask him to present again. He probably not going to change his philosophy during that time.
That may be the case, but they never spoke to anyone else either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This from the St Kilda website made me laugh:

“I’ve got a lot of respect for Joe Patfull and big Sauce Merrett, so this week is going to be a really big challenge. Last week was last week and this week is this week,” Riewoldt said.

Go easy on em, patfullfankezz

You don't think we'll drop a tall forward, chopperduck? I reckon one of Paparone or Paine will come out.

Hard to say. I don't think so. We've been playing a tall forward line the entire season, and i don't think we will change that. It is possible though, and i would think that would be Polks way into the team perhaps. I think with Brown, Paine and McGuane we have a fairly balanced forward line. I tend not to include
Paps as he plays so far up the ground he is just about a winger, i don't think he comes into calculations when you talk about marking options inside 50. Paine took a nice mark last week, so i think we will be keen to give him another crack, and McGuane will be better for the run last week as well. Brown played much further up the ground last week, and perhaps having McGuane back is allowing that, so it will be interesting to see how we go this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back